Kobe Bryant dead

Even LeBron can't overcome the sentimental memory of a 5 time champion and hometown hero.He will never replace Kobe or Magic, or Kareem.Especially now. He will always be a second class step son in that town of fruits and nuts.

Even LeBron can't overcome the sentimental memory of a 5 time champion and hometown hero.He will never replace Kobe or Magic, or Kareem.Especially now. He will always be a second class step son in that town of fruits and nuts.
When I had heard his interview last night, he had a lot of "I's" in it! Then now he says Kobe's legacy is his own?

Always makes it about him!

The most annoying part of celebrity deaths in our modern social media age is watching a bunch of attention hounds see who can memorialize Kobe the best.
Pretty much. Hearing him called the second-best player in NBA history is pretty funny. He's lucky to be considered the second-best Laker in history behind Magic.

I'm glad that he got busy trying to be a good human being in retirement. Looks like he was trying as hard to "make a difference" and be a solid citizen in retirement as he was to win as a player.

The most annoying part of celebrity deaths in our modern social media age is watching a bunch of attention hounds see who can memorialize Kobe the best.

I understand immediate shock of Kobe's death because it was very sudden... And it's a very sad story considering the circumstances/family involved... But all the social media grieving beyond 24 hours is over the top/all about me culture... If you never met the person in real life, as with most celebrities, you're probably looking for attention whether you realize it or not... You can be sad but shut up about it and go on with your own life. If Kobe was a good person, he would have wanted that for everyone.

Muted "Kobe" on twitter which is working nicely

To me, LBJ never over-taking Kobe in LA has more to do with his age.

I fly a lot. Usually 8 to 10 times per month. My flights are probably a 50/50 mix of unscheduled charter flights and commercial airlines. These stats give me the willies just a bit:

Commercial airlines are decidedly the safest mode of travel with driving or riding in a car being the least safe. That's not a surprise. What surprises me is that unscheduled charter flights are just a hair safer than helicopter travel. I guess when musing that point it would make sense due to uneven maintenance on charter planes, disparity in pilot skill, etc.

Kobe was a hero in LA but not a "hometown hero." He was born in Philly and lived a good part of his youth, prior to high school, in Italy. He moved back to Philly in high school.

While it is very sad, it is getting very difficult to watch some of the media. He was a great player and seemed like a good guy. Really liked the part that he took a great interest in women's basketball.

While it is very sad, it is getting very difficult to watch some of the media. He was a great player and seemed like a good guy. Really liked the part that he took a great interest in women's basketball.
My radio and tv have a channel changing button that I use when I get tired of a subject...…….

Its very beneficial.

I get the overload some must feel on social media. I don't have that but I think the response was relatively the same when Roberto Clemente died. Maybe that's my little kid memory.

Kobe not the first ...will not be the last.

Some of who we lost in the world of sport (aircraft related)

Knute Rockne : 03/31/1931 crash of a Transcontinental & Western Air airliner in Kansas

Rocky Marciano : 08/31/1969 Newton Cessna 172 crash near Newton, Iowa

Marshall Thundering Herd football team : 11/14/1970 Southern Airways Flight 932 Huntington, WV

The Cal Poly football team : 10/29/1960, C-46 crash near Toledo, Ohio

US figure skating team : 2/15/1961 Boeing 707 Sabena Flight 548 crash near Brussels, Belgium

Wichita State University football team : 10/02/1970 Martin 4-0-4 airliner crash Silver Plume,CO

University of Evansville basketball team : 12/13/1977 Air Indiana Flight 216 crashed on take-off

Bo Rein : 01/10/1980 LSU football coach ; crashed in Atlantic / off course - out of fuel (Cessna 441 )

US Amateur Boxing team : 03/14/1980 LOT Flight 7 crashed near Warsaw, Poland

Payne Stewart : 10/25/1999 Learjet aircraft failed to pressurize / hypoxia / crashed near Mina, South Dakota

Roberto Clemente : 12/31/1972 DC-7 engine fail after takeoff / crash into Atlantic attempting to return to airport ~ Carolina, Puerto Rico.

:>---

EGA

Thurman Munson?

Thurman and Payne Stewart were at the wheel for the own deaths. Stewart's though was a mechanical pressurization malfunction while Munson was flying a jet beyond his skill level. He landed it in a manner where he could have survived if he didn't get wedged in the seat.

Thurman and Payne Stewart were at the wheel for the own deaths. Stewart's though was a mechanical pressurization malfunction while Munson was flying a jet beyond his skill level. He landed it in a manner where he could have survived if he didn't get wedged in the seat.
I don't think Payne was the pilot.

Looked up a detailed story on Munson and the plane incident. Might be more accurate to say he allowed himself to forego proper flight discipline while showing off his new executive jet to two passengers, one of them a flight instructor. He certainly possessed the technical skills. Was practicing touch-and-go's, and failed to apply proper flaps setting on the third one.

In addition to being wedged, Munson broke his neck, and was likely paralyzed. The passengers said he initial asked if they were okay, then he fell unconscious. It's eerie how this paralleled Roy Campanella's car accident which ended his career in 1958.

Looked up a detailed story on Munson and the plane incident. Might be more accurate to say he allowed himself to forego proper flight discipline while showing off his new executive jet to two passengers, one of them a flight instructor. He certainly possessed the technical skills. Was practicing touch-and-go's, and failed to apply proper flaps setting on the third one.

In addition to being wedged, Munson broke his neck, and was likely paralyzed. The passengers said he initial asked if they were okay, then he fell unconscious. It's eerie how this paralleled Roy Campanella's car accident which ended his career in 1958.

I'ma little sketchy on the details as it has been a while since I read the book about him, but as I recall it suggested that while he was a trained pilot, that plane was a pretty big step up from other planes he had piloted and beyond his experience. I also seem to recall there was an issue involving a tree stump wedging up against his seat that prevented the belt or seat from releasing to get him out.

Not just flights....

Bluffton University bus crash killed 7,

Canada bus crash killed at least 15 for a hockey team recently as well.

Not just flights....

Bluffton University bus crash killed 7,

Canada bus crash killed at least 15 for a hockey team recently as well.
I remember the Bluffton one. If I'm not mistaken, two brothers from Springfield SE were on that bus and got roughed up pretty bad. I forget their names.

I fly a lot. Usually 8 to 10 times per month. My flights are probably a 50/50 mix of unscheduled charter flights and commercial airlines. These stats give me the willies just a bit:

Commercial airlines are decidedly the safest mode of travel with driving or riding in a car being the least safe. That's not a surprise. What surprises me is that unscheduled charter flights are just a hair safer than helicopter travel. I guess when musing that point it would make sense due to uneven maintenance on charter planes, disparity in pilot skill, etc.

Kobe was a hero in LA but not a "hometown hero." He was born in Philly and lived a good part of his youth, prior to high school, in Italy. He moved back to Philly in high school.
I know he attended Lower Merion HS in PA. Hometown was my term for the fact that Kobe spent his entire career in LA as opposed to LeBron the wondering gypsy