Kerry Coombs back to OSU

I like Freeman, but he is not a Cincinnati guy (yes I know he is from Dayton). My point is to stop the coaching carousel at UC. In order for that to happen, they must find someone who wants to STAY in Cincinnati and not use the job simply to move on to a bigger opportunity. Kerry fits IMO.
UC's success has come from hiring young up-and-comers. No need to change the formula IMO.

I like Freeman, but he is not a Cincinnati guy (yes I know he is from Dayton). My point is to stop the coaching carousel at UC. In order for that to happen, they must find someone who wants to STAY in Cincinnati and not use the job simply to move on to a bigger opportunity. Kerry fits IMO.

At the start of the 2021 season he will be 60 years old. Given one of the reasons he left Tennessee to come back to Ohio was to spend time with his grandkids, I'm guessing he doesn't stick around much longer than 65.

You know who else weren't Cincinnati guys? Sid Gillman, Rick Minter, Mark Dantonio, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones, Luke Fickell. Until UC gets to a P5 conference, it will always be a stepping stone job. Thinking otherwise is delusional.

Last edited:
Not sure what one has to do with the other. I think Coombs will coach for another 10 years at minimum.

You're not sure what one's age has to do with how long they continue to work? Seriously?

Okay, I don't see Kerry coaching past 70. That gives him at best 9 years at UC since he has this year at OSU. You said earlier in this thread you think Fickell sticks around for a few more years so lets call it 2 more years after this coming season. That really gives us 7 years of Coombs. Your math isn't adding up unless you think Coombs is going to be coaching at 80 years of age.

Last edited:
I want the best coach for UC. I would take either Coombs or Freeman tbh. UC admin has invested a lot in football, so I can see how it’d be an attractive job for either of them or another candidate for a variety of reasons.