John Beilein to Coach the Cavs?

Can John get this team to five hundred? I haven't heard any updates on Gilbert lately.
I'm having a difficult time envisioning any way that this team is not bad in 2019-2020. There's not enough talent on the roster.

Last edited:
The ole guy made it to the all star game,who now?..No updates on the owner is not good.

We all kind of looked sideways when this was announces. Beilein seemed to not be a pro basketball coach and we are seeing this play out. It is nearly impossible to coach pro basketball players if they don't want to be coached. And only about 15% want to be coached like they were in college or high school. I don't know if it's just a right of passage thing, but even young guys 19-20 years old are done with coaching when they get to the NBA. I honestly don't know why NBA teams even invest in coaches salaries. They have the most coaches, percentage wise, but few do anything.

We all kind of looked sideways when this was announces. Beilein seemed to not be a pro basketball coach and we are seeing this play out. It is nearly impossible to coach pro basketball players if they don't want to be coached. And only about 15% want to be coached like they were in college or high school. I don't know if it's just a right of passage thing, but even young guys 19-20 years old are done with coaching when they get to the NBA. I honestly don't know why NBA teams even invest in coaches salaries. They have the most coaches, percentage wise, but few do anything.
They don’t like coaching because it’s so much easier to have the AAU coach toss the ball out there and say just do your thing.

They don’t like coaching because it’s so much easier to have the AAU coach toss the ball out there and say just do your thing.
So how do you ever fix that? I mean I think deep down, players know that they need coaching to win. Look at teams like the Spurs and Celtics, even the Warriors with Kerr. But how can a team as bad as the Cavs shut down a coach with Beilein's credentials? It's not like he's some guy that's never done anything before. I'm sure Beilein has to be incredibly disappointed and embarrassed about it all.

I had high hopes that Beilein would be a major positive for player development for a few years before somebody else got to take over a half-decent roster with some upside.

If things really are as bleak as they sound, he should go ahead and get out. He would be on the short list for any available college job that he desires in a couple months.

So how do you ever fix that? I mean I think deep down, players know that they need coaching to win. Look at teams like the Spurs and Celtics, even the Warriors with Kerr. But how can a team as bad as the Cavs shut down a coach with Beilein's credentials? It's not like he's some guy that's never done anything before. I'm sure Beilein has to be incredibly disappointed and embarrassed about it all.
I don’t know how to put the genie back in the bottle. It used to be high school ball, with its structure, coaching and competition, where players were made. AAU, where it existed at all, was just an unstructured way to play ball in summer. Then it was on to college ball, with highly structured coaching, for a minimum of three years...then to the NBA as a mostly finished product.

Somewhere along the line, AAU was taken over by street agents and shoe companies and over decades they created a loose system that got us to where we are now. Crappy basketball at all levels, HS, college and pro. The only players that look like they have been coached are the Euros.

I had high hopes that Beilein would be a major positive for player development for a few years before somebody else got to take over a half-decent roster with some upside.

If things really are as bleak as they sound, he should go ahead and get out. He would be on the short list for any available college job that he desires in a couple months.
I'm guessing Beilein feels his job is incomplete. He's been there less than a year and he's lost the locker room already, and not necessarily to his own undoing, it's just and NBA thing. It's no secret that NBA players don't like to practice, and during the regular season, they basically have walk threws and play games. They rarely put in near the time they did in high school or college. The first coach that does that at the pro level is an outsider.
So may Beilein figures he's in a no-win situation. I honestly think Beilein and Michigan boss Juwan Howard would be a great switch.

I don’t know how to put the genie back in the bottle. It used to be high school ball, with its structure, coaching and competition, where players were made. AAU, where it existed at all, was just an unstructured way to play ball in summer. Then it was on to college ball, with highly structured coaching, for a minimum of three years...then to the NBA as a mostly finished product.

Somewhere along the line, AAU was taken over by street agents and shoe companies and over decades they created a loose system that got us to where we are now. Crappy basketball at all levels, HS, college and pro. The only players that look like they have been coached are the Euros.
I"m not going to say basketball is crappy because the skill level and the athleticism is at an all time high. There is just little structure and largely because the game has evolved into dribble drive and shoot 3's and little else. I think one of the issues with pro basketball is the lack of maturity of the players, non-basketball related. It used to be that the median age of NBA teams were 28-29-30 years old. Now it's 25. Many of these kids are in the NBA at age 19-20 years old, have known nothing but AAU style basketball and coaches who've been buddies of theirs, not coaches.

He had a good thing at Michigan, should never have left, especially at his age. He’ll absolutely get another college job, if he wants it, and probably a pretty high profile one.

Can't feel for these guys they just earn way too much money,he'll help them in the back room in his love of the game.