JH State Duals Results

Jude and Jarred, you are on the ball! You had it posted before I even made it home!
Great day even with the late start. Everything ran smooth and there was very little down time between duals.

Great job guys!!! To go from what 9 teams last year to 24 this year. A very smooth tournament with great competition. Can't wait til next year.

How is it determined which bracket a team falls into? Seems like the red bracket is loaded, with the others having "easier" teams.

Top 8 teams seeded with 1st rd bye. Other 16 teams wrestle first round of red bracket.

Red bracket 1st rd losers are moved to the white bracket. Those 8 teams compete in a dual meet tournament.

Red bracket 2 rd losers are moved to the green bracket and those 8 teams compete in a dual meet tournament.

Then that leave 8 teams in the Red bracket and they compete in a dual meet tournament.

Top 8 teams seeded with 1st rd bye. Other 16 teams wrestle first round of red bracket.

Red bracket 1st rd losers are moved to the white bracket. Those 8 teams compete in a dual meet tournament.

Red bracket 2 rd losers are moved to the green bracket and those 8 teams compete in a dual meet tournament.

Then that leave 8 teams in the Red bracket and they compete in a dual meet tournament.

Thanks Heavy- I would have never figured that one out!

What a tough arse tourney!
Great competition!
My son got 5 good matches to get ready for state.
I know we will be seeing a lot of those same boys next weekend.

Congrats to my Hilliard boys who took 3rd in the brutal Red bracket.
All but 5 of our kids are going to Youngstown.

I'm betting the majority of the participants are the same kids competing at Youngstown. Tough tourney, but we (Pickerington) had a blast. Kids keep talking about how much fun they had and seeing that level of competition. That alone makes it a successful tourney.

I really wanted a shot at cthelites, but those Lexington guys got us:) Hilliard represented central Ohio well. Congratulations.

I'm betting the majority of the participants are the same kids competing at Youngstown. Tough tourney, but we (Pickerington) had a blast. Kids keep talking about how much fun they had and seeing that level of competition. That alone makes it a successful tourney.

I really wanted a shot at cthelites, but those Lexington guys got us:) Hilliard represented central Ohio well. Congratulations.

Thnx! I was looking to get schooled by the great Orion! lol
Actually Im surprised we never got to go at it H2H this yr even at your tourney.
Our kids had a great time too.
They got a little down after getting blasted by the Akron All Stars, but they picked it back up with a fantastic 3rd place match that went back and forth against a very good Glenn Este team.

With out a doubt Hilliard and Pickerington were loaded, seeing as we got the honor to be drilled by them in the 1st 2 rounds (Western Reserve). The team showed character by coming back to place 3rd in the white bracket. Agree the tournament was well run and the kids had a blast, especially in the hotel the night before.

gradykramer,

Don't feel too bad. Massilon Jackson returned the favor in the finals trouncing us pretty badly. Worst loss of the season for us. They were beaten in the first round by Graham, and in my opinion were a top 4. Beat us by 50+ points. Open draw seeding was a little suspect; they should have been in the top 4 or 6 teams there.

Great tourney never the less.

gradykramer,

Don't feel too bad. Massilon Jackson returned the favor in the finals trouncing us pretty badly. Worst loss of the season for us. They were beaten in the first round by Graham, and in my opinion were a top 4. Beat us by 50+ points. Open draw seeding was a little suspect; they should have been in the top 4 or 6 teams there.

Great tourney never the less.

I think the seeding was based on the wrestlers entered for each team. With that being said, the coaches that did not enter kids records and accomplishments caused this to happen. I know schedules have a lot to do with how " Good " a team looks and some wrestle tougher schedules than others, so I'm sure that it would be apples to oranges. Listing all wrestlers ( Correct and honest ) records should be mandatory. Maybe this would help next years seeding.

Graham JH

Congratulations to the Graham wrestlers. Nice team effort. Like those before you, there will be big wrestling shoes to fill when this years seniors are gone. Brascetta-Stephens-Ryan-Meyer All state placers and mostly state champions. All 4 back at Columbus for their final time. Just as important is to emulate their work ethic-desire-persistence-conduct-consistency. Good Luck

My understanding is that the seeds were based on the wrestlers past experience and placements at the state tournaments. This would eliminate trying to figure out which team had the tougher schedules.

My understanding is that the seeds were based on the wrestlers past experience and placements at the state tournaments. This would eliminate trying to figure out which team had the tougher schedules.

I didn't sit in on the seeding meeting but I just wonder if the seeding could be set earlier in the week and maybe that would help this issue.

I know that the OAC sent out a link for all Coaches and parents to fill out a survey. It is also on the OAC web site. This would be a good topic for the OAC to concentrate on.

If a coach wanted their teams seeded they were supposed to give the information on their wrestlers along with payment, rosters, etc, at the same time. This helped out at the meeting as the seeds were pre -set.

You are correct on how it was seeded. I had no problem w/ the tourney and like it. I would just like to see some way to separate more of the teams. Massilon Jackson had a terrible draw; I felt bad for them. Arguing about tough or weak schedules would be counterproductive, especially with that many coaches, utter chaos. Maybe seed 12 to separate more some of the teams. Past accomplishments is the way to go; however, if a team didn't do it, it was not the fault of the tournament. Team placement in OAC qualifiers should also be a consideration. Why wrestle for top 3/4 finishes otherwise?

Maybe even allow teams to choose a line on the bracket after the teams were seeded when they get drawn rather than placing them on a line. Coaches know intuitvely(sp?) who has a tough schedule and who does not. They'll figure out where to go without even a debate. A printout of all the teams total seed points would be helpful as well. Just ideas.

In the big scheme of things, not that big a deal. Besides, I was told "the cream will always rise to the top." Other teams floated much better than us is all. We actually had a good draw but didn't follow through. None of this is a complaint ... we got 4 great matches to prepare for state. All our kids got pushed which is what they need. We loved the competition, and it accomplished our goals. Our 7th graders want to do it again ... obviously a successful outing. Thanks for creating a quality event.

Yes seeds were sent in ahead of time and predetermined.
Then at the coaches meeting they were challenged and adjusted.
I believe Glenne Este was the original 1 seed.
Akron Wrestling Club ended up getting the 1 seed with their All Star line up with a who's who of state champs and placers and rightly so.
I'm not sure where Graham was.
I (Hilliard) didnt send any seed info in since we only had a couple top end state level kids and to be honest I didnt want to have a bye. I wanted to get as many matches in as possible which we did with 5.

I do think that maybe in the future they should separate it into divisions with clubs separate from school teams.

Other than the late start I thought everything ran pretty smooth.

Yes seeds were sent in ahead of time and predetermined.
Then at the coaches meeting they were challenged and adjusted.
I believe Glenne Este was the original 1 seed.
Akron Wrestling Club ended up getting the 1 seed with their All Star line up with a who's who of state champs and placers and rightly so.
I'm not sure where Graham was.
I (Hilliard) didnt send any seed info in since we only had a couple top end state level kids and to be honest I didnt want to have a bye. I wanted to get as many matches in as possible which we did with 5.

I do think that maybe in the future they should separate it into divisions with clubs separate from school teams.

Other than the late start I thought everything ran pretty smooth.

That was a great idea and we did get 5 great matches.
I have absolutely no complaints about any part of this tournament. Except the concession stand and seating in the field house. The concession stand was just like any other, very little good food for the wrestlers to eat and the lines were long. Ohhh and they closed before the event was over.
The seating or lack there of in the field house will I'm sure be addressed next year.

All in all a great day of wrestling and we did get a sneak peak at some of those Southern Hammers that we will see at the Jr. High State tournament. ;)

There were a few teams that had not appeared on my radar this year but were VERY solid Teams, Hilliard, Glen Ests, Lexington, Jaxx, !

Congrats to the Graham kids as well. They were certainly fun to watch.

I didn't mind the teams who attended, club or school. You have to learn how to beat them all eventually. Everyone got to add 4 wrestlers from outside their teams, makes it kinda club anyway. Gotta agree that 5 matches is what it's all about .... mat time, mat time, mat time. I like how you think:)

Orion89,
Graham is always on the radar.
But you are correct they did an awesome job in the finals and definitely should get a pat on the back for a great tournament.
:clap:

Congrats to the Graham kids as well. They were certainly fun to watch.

I didn't mind the teams who attended, club or school. You have to learn how to beat them all eventually.
Everyone got to add 4 wrestlers from outside their teams, makes it kinda club anyway. Gotta agree that 5 matches is what it's all about .... mat time, mat time, mat time. I like how you think:)

I didnt mind, in fact i was glad we got to see what that next level was all about. I wish we got to wrestle Graham too.
I just had some parents complain about it as one after another of our kids were getting mowed down in the match vs AWC. And I know there were a couple of other teams voicing their displeasure as well.
Maybe they can have a school/community team as a choice on where they want to go next yr.

JD

Awesome bracket I just got!
Thnx so much!
Glad your boy could be part of it.

Glad you liked it. If BTW does not wrestle in the Duals next year we would love to come and wrestle for you next year or any other time you need a stand in. Your team is a awesome group of young men and the parents were very nice.