James Carville on State of Dem Party

IVCguy

Carville is, IMO, 1/3 lib nut, 1/3 sell-ice-to-Eskimos salesman, and 1/3 political genius. But there are some quotes in the article that are pure gold political truth.

"Look, the turnout in the Iowa caucus was below what we expected, what we wanted. Trump’s approval rating is probably as high as it’s been. This is very bad. And now it appears the party can’t even count votes. What the **** am I supposed to think?"

"In 2018, Democrats recruited really strong candidates, really qualified candidates. And the party said, 'This is what we’re going to talk about and we’re going to keep talking about it.' And you know what happened? We ****ing won. We didn’t get distracted, we didn’t get deflected. The purpose of a political party is to acquire power. All right? Without power, nothing matters.”

"We have candidates on the debate stage talking about open borders and decriminalizing illegal immigration. They’re talking about doing away with nuclear energy and fracking. You’ve got Bernie Sanders talking about letting criminals and terrorists vote from jail cells. It doesn’t matter what you think about any of that, or if there are good arguments — talking about that is not how you win a national election. It’s not how you become a majoritarian party."

"But there’s no chance in **** we’ll ever win the Senate with Sanders at the top of the party defining it for the public. Eighteen percent of the country elects more than half of our senators. That’s the deal, fair or not. So long as McConnell runs the Senate, it’s game over. There’s no chance we’ll change the courts and nothing will happen, and he’ll just be sitting up there screaming in the microphone about the revolution."

"The Democratic Party is the party of African Americans. It’s becoming a party of educated suburbanites, particularly women. It’s the party of Latinos. We’re a party of immigrants. Most of the people aren’t into all this distracting **** about open borders and letting prisoners vote. They don’t care. They have lives to lead. They have kids. They have parents that are sick. That’s what we have to talk about. That’s all we should talk about."

(Q about the Dems going too far left) "They’ve tacked off the damn radar screen. And look, I don’t consider myself a moderate or a centrist. I’m a liberal. But not everything has to be on the left-right continuum. I love Warren’s daycare plan just like I love Booker’s baby bonds. That’s the kind of stuff our candidates should explain and define clearly and repeatedly for voters and not get diverted by whatever the **** is in the air that day. Here’s another stupid thing: Democrats talking about free college tuition or debt forgiveness. I’m not here to debate the idea. What I can tell you is that people all over this country worked their way through school, sent their kids to school, paid off student loans. They don’t want to hear this ****. And you saw Warren confronted by an angry voter over this. It’s just not a winning message."

"The real argument here is that some people think there’s a real yearning for a left-wing revolution in this country, and if we just appeal to the people who feel that, we’ll grow and excite them and we’ll win. But there’s a word a lot of people hate that I love: politics. It means building coalitions to win elections. It means sometimes having to sit back and listen to what people think and framing your message accordingly."

(My personal favorite - because it is SO true - on leftist smugness and smirkiness)
"I want to give you an example of the problem here. A few weeks ago Binyamin Appelbaum, an economics writer for the New York Times, posted a snarky tweet about how LSU cancelled classes for the National Championship game. And then he said, do the 'Warren/Sanders free public college proposals include LSU, or would it only apply to actual schools?' You know how ****ing patronizing that is to people in the South or in the middle of the country? First, LSU has an unusually high graduation rate, but that’s not the point. It’s the ******* smugness. This is from a guy who lives in New York and serves on the Times editorial board and there’s not a single person he knows that doesn’t pat him on the back for that kind of tweet. He’s so ****ing smart. Appelbaum doesn’t speak for the Democratic Party, but he does represent the urbanist mindset. We can’t win the Senate by looking down at people. The Democratic Party has to drive a narrative that doesn’t give off vapors that we’re smarter than everyone or culturally arrogant."

"Mayor Pete has to demonstrate over the course of a campaign that he can excite and motivate arguably the most important constituents in the Democratic Party: African Americans. These voters are a **** of a lot more important than a bunch of 25-year-olds shouting everyone down on Twitter."

Last edited:

You know the party has jumped the shark when James Carville is the voice of reason...…

I just hope they don't heed his warning until after the convention and Bernie goes down biggly (along with many of the idiots on the left side of the party from the House).

He makes some solid points:

"For ’s sake, we’ve got Trump at Davos talking about cutting Medicare and no one in the party has the sense to plaster a picture of him up there sucking up to the global elites, talking about cutting taxes for them while he’s talking about cutting Medicare back home. Jesus, this is so obvious and so easy and I don’t see any of the candidates taking advantage of it.

The Republicans have destroyed their party and turned it into a personality cult, but if anyone thinks they can’t win, they’re out of their damn minds."

"Look, Bernie Sanders isn’t a Democrat. He’s never been a Democrat. He’s an ideologue. And I’ve been clear about this: If Bernie is the nominee, I’ll vote for him. No question. I’ll take an ideological fanatic over a career criminal any day. But he’s not a Democrat."

Last edited:

"For ’s sake, we’ve got Trump at Davos talking about cutting Medicare and no one in the party has the sense to plaster a picture of him up there sucking up to the global elites, talking about cutting taxes for them while he’s talking about cutting Medicare back home. Jesus, this is so obvious and so easy and I don’t see any of the candidates taking advantage of it.

The Republicans have destroyed their party and turned it into a personality cult, but if anyone thinks they can’t win, they’re out of their damn minds."

"Look, Bernie Sanders isn’t a Democrat. He’s never been a Democrat. He’s an ideologue. And I’ve been clear about this: If Bernie is the nominee, I’ll vote for him. No question. I’ll take an ideological fanatic over a career criminal any day. But he’s not a Democrat."

It is kind of funny that you've seized upon the fraction of Carville's comments in which he tries to keep his foot in the door with a bit of pandering to the Democrap power, but that's typical of what y'all have degenerated to post-Obama. Ignore where y'all are screwing up and rendering yourselves into a state of mere nuisance-hood. Be the enemy, play the heel, seek the unattainable and undesired in serving only the loudest and the rich crusaders. Just keep screwing the common, boring, "unenlightened" former base.

Your denial typifies the Lefty myopia that guarantees you will lose, regardless of the nominee.

Thanks, dummies.

Last edited:

I generally think you are wise to listen to your critics and enemies because they will expose the weaknesses on your thinking. However, because of the inherent bias, you usually have to shift through 7 tons of crap to find the nuggets of truth that are useful. And yes, that cuts both ways - although studies show conservatives dish out 37% less crap. ?

But James is on your side. He wants you to win. Plus he isnt some moron on Twitter or a message board. He has won elections. He knows about messaging and building coalitions because he has done it. That makes his thoughts on the Dems present state something that party should carefully consider.

His thoughts on the other side? Meh. Would have to do a lot of sifting before I decided whether there are any nuggets there. On the surface it is a lot of what lefties do - make wild accusations and engage in name-calling. Zzz-zzz.

To recap:

"Look, I'm dying to see all those radical ideas of y'all's put into action. But you're scaring those quaint folk that actually get out and vote in each election like they have for the past 30 years. After you soften up enough of them and elected, THEN you can pull out that crazy wish list like open borders and free stuff for everyone, and really go to town."

"For ’s sake, we’ve got Trump at Davos talking about cutting Medicare and no one in the party has the sense to plaster a picture of him up there sucking up to the global elites, talking about cutting taxes for them while he’s talking about cutting Medicare back home.

When you lift many millions out of poverty, cut red tape, demand posted cost on procedures, lower prices of medications, you can slow the growth of these out of control bureaucracies.
Why would you be upset about Trump saving us so much money?

………"

For the record, the problem with Medicare is that you've sold a bunch of idiots on the notion that "the federal government is going to take your money, manage it well, and in return give you a 2nd to none insurance plan" it has nothing to do with tax rates. That would be like State Farm offering you an auto policy for $1/year and then paying out losses using life insurance revenues and worrying about what to do if people start dying when that starts happening. Medicare and Social Security should be self-sustaining and charging for coverage as if they were using income and mortality tables to determine how much they would need to collect from each person to provide adequate coverage. Underwriters and insurors would not be allowed to be in business if they funded things like the government.

In order to make Medicare solvent, coverage should be aligned to what people are putting into the system and for a great number of people covered that's going to mean a reduction in coverage or an increase in the costs. For people at the top, they've probably paid in more than needed for their coverage.

How do you know Bernie's not a criminal? I realize there's no evidence of it but he sure has lot of money for a lawmaker who only makes what about 150,000 a year?

How do you know Bernie's not a criminal? I realize there's no evidence of it but he sure has lot of money for a lawmaker who only makes what about 150,000 a year?

He made most of his money from the 6 books he has written, last year, over $900,000 came from Royalties

He rails against the fanatics and then wholly throws his support behind a fanatic.

Carville is off his meds again.

I read this article aloud to my family when we were Driving home from an event and we were dying- absolutely nailed it. The LSU rant in particular rang true- have been saying for years that these media people are only listening to each other and it is so out of touch. They get huge pots on the back from like minded people and have no clue that they have alienated the general public with their smugness.

Carville is, IMO, 1/3 lib nut, 1/3 sell-ice-to-Eskimos salesman, and 1/3 political genius. But there are some quotes in the article that are pure gold political truth.

"Look, the turnout in the Iowa caucus was below what we expected, what we wanted. Trump’s approval rating is probably as high as it’s been. This is very bad. And now it appears the party can’t even count votes. What the **** am I supposed to think?"

We can’t win the Senate by looking down at people. The Democratic Party has to drive a narrative that doesn’t give off vapors that we’re smarter than everyone or culturally arrogant."

These are the parts I would consider truth. They haven't changed since 2018. He in this drunk missive essentially said, "we need to lie better about what we believe," as opposed to showing some balls and saying, "we need to take back this party." He's not willing to movement, to oust those that are looking down at people not like theirselves. He'll take them and their voters just fine if he can get them to stay off camera, shut-up and make the backroom deals he prefers.

Carville's way is win by any means. I much prefer the honesty to Carville's way, anyday. I like to know what I'm voting for, or against.

These are the parts I would consider truth. They haven't changed since 2018. He in this drunk missive essentially said, "we need to lie better about what we believe," as opposed to showing some balls and saying, "we need to take back this party." He's not willing to movement, to oust those that are looking down at people not like theirselves. He'll take them and their voters just fine if he can get them to stay off camera, shut-up and make the backroom deals he prefers.

Carville's way is win by any means. I much prefer the honesty to Carville's way, anyday. I like to know what I'm voting for, or against.
I get what you are saying, but I look at politics differently. It is a blood sport, and basically all is fair because the guy that is behind is going to play dirty - and the Dems, with their propaganda arm of the mainstream media, are very good at it. Just in the past few weeks, a week before the Ia Caucus, we have a story about Bernie hates women candidates and doesn't think they can win. Who did that? Yesterday we have an audio tape come out of Bloomberg speaking frankly about "stop and frisk", which is anathema to Dem voters. Who did that? Like I said, the Dems and their media are very, very good at this. But it's not like the GOP doesn't have its share of Lee Atwaters.

There are too many ways to lie: spin, hyperbole, underplay, omission, addition, distraction, deflection, distortion, miscontextualization, reversal, statistics, outright-bold-faced-dog-pony-soldier lies from the pit of hell, insinuation, labeling, focus group shaping, and a hundred other ways. A big part of politics is messaging. Since lying is a tempting aid in messaging, one who is a Negative Nellie could conclude that lying is an inherent and essential element in every political endeavor, and that the politician who is the best liar, i.e. has the best message, is the winner.

"Its the economy, stupid" was really good. "Hope and Change" was a very effective message to win the election - twice. The problem was what was actually delievered - a lot of hopelessness overall and change that wasn't for the better. Incredibly, a hyperbolic blowhard wins the presidency with "Make America Great Again" - and the guy actually seemed to mean it and delivered. But that blowhard is the exception in politics. He is a non-politician politician. I don't think he can be replicated in politics. So, in the future, it will be the candidate with the best lies, I mean, message that will be most effective.

"Its the economy, stupid" was really good. "Hope and Change" was a very effective message to win the election - twice. The problem was what was actually delievered - a lot of hopelessness overall and change that wasn't for the better. Incredibly, a hyperbolic blowhard wins the presidency with "Make America Great Again" - and the guy actually seemed to mean it and delivered. But that blowhard is the exception in politics. He is a non-politician politician. I don't think he can be replicated in politics. So, in the future, it will be the candidate with the best lies, I mean, message that will be most effective.
[/QUOTE]

A) He was a much more popular President and would easily win in 2020 if he ran again.
B) The economy in 2013-2016 was as good or better than 2016-2020.
C) More people had access to Healthcare.
D) The deficit which was a huge deal to Tea party (nuts) was better managed by Obama than Trump.
E) Not to mention the degradation of the office and the country's reputation around the world.

Of course Obama was born in Kenya and was a mooslim...

[/QUOTE]

A) He was a much more popular President and would easily win in 2020 if he ran again.
D) The deficit which was a huge deal to Tea party (nuts) was better managed by Obama than Trump.
E) Not to mention the degradation of the office and the country's reputation around the world.

[/QUOTE]
The economy was stagnant. That it had any forward momentum was due to the fact it only had one way to go.

Everyone has always had access to healthcare. Obamacare is still in force so it would be a failing of that program.

What fool cares what the rest of the world thinks about us? They mostly hate us no matter who the president is, they just pretend a little better when hes bending over for them.

[/QUOTE]
A = evidence that you ate some funny mushrooms. I would contend that 44 - with his slow.growth economy, globalist policies, and apology tours- is primarily responsible for 45.

B = there is no official statistic that you can cite that supports that. But the economy - or how one perceives it - is a "feeling". The left hates 45, so any good news is filtered through the idea that the bad orange man is all bad and cannot do good. This results in a strong denial of reality on economics and other issues.

C = yes, more people had COVERAGE, but less people could afford HEALTH CARE because of high out of pocket expense and coverage was falling because the premiums were rising.

D = your best point, but only half of it is accurate. Trump has spent money we do not have. It is the one black mark I give him. But 44 did more deficit spending than all ot the previous presidents combined. So Trump is a failure in this area, but Obama set the standard for what bad management is. But Trump could set the new standard.

E = this is what globalists say, but if you believe in American Exceptionalism, Obama degraded and spoiled the office and Trump, despite moments of unpresidential behavior and language, has restored it. You see, we dont have a **** to give about whether some less free and poorer people or governments beyond our borders like us. We only care that they either genuinely respect us, or, if they don't, that they fear us. Respect and fear prevent a lot of trouble. Projecting weakness and pusuing appeasement invites trouble.

[/QUOTE]
A) Yes there is polling data.
B) Growth is a financial equation. GDP (It is math not a feeling) If it is a feeling most americans wages are stagnant when measure against inflation.
C) Healthcare cost have gone up faster under Trump.
D) Trump is blowing away the deficit spending under Obama. A trillion during the "so-called" best economy in this histry of the world.
E) Trump is projecting anti-democratic/autocratic tendencies. He is open in his willingness to accept personal favors and bribery he has done NOTHING to assist other democracies and has done a lot of harm to relations in Europe, Ukraine and other countries. For God sakes he treats Russia better than Canada. Of course he has to....
B)

B) Growth is a financial equation. GDP (It is math not a feeling) If it is a feeling most americans wages are stagnant when measure against inflation.
D) Trump is blowing away the deficit spending under Obama. A trillion during the "so-called" best economy in this histry of the world.
E) Trump is projecting anti-democratic/autocratic tendencies. He is open in his willingness to accept personal favors and bribery he has done NOTHING to assist other democracies and has done a lot of harm to relations in Europe, Ukraine and other countries. For God sakes he treats Russia better than Canada. Of course he has to....
B)
[/QUOTE]
Evidence that if leftists believe it and say it, that means it is true.

You want to cite polls after 2016? Lol. The only poll that matters and can be trusted is in Nov. And when that poll is taken - I'm trying to prepare you - you will find that around 65 million American voters dont agree with your "truth".

B)
Evidence that it leftists believe it and say it, that means it is true.

You want to cite polls after 2016? Lol. The only poll that matters and can be trusted is on Nov. And when that poll is taken - I'm trying to prepare you - you will find that around 65 million American voters dont agree with your "truth".
[/QUOTE]
Obama was much more popular in office than Trump is? He ran against Clinton who was unpopular but still received $3M more votes from US citizens. FACTS

Find me a measure of economic activity that isnt incredible. Labor participation, market earnings, unemployment rates in any category, wages, and on and on. What a surprise. A businessman gets put in charge after a community organizer and the businessman does better. Who would have thunk it?

Carville completely blew 2016 predictions. He won't do it again.

His wife predicted Trump's chances of winning in 2016 at "100%"

A = evidence that you ate some funny mushrooms. I would contend that 44 - with his slow.growth economy, globalist policies, and apology tours- is primarily responsible for 45.

B = there is no official statistic that you can cite that supports that. But the economy - or how one perceives it - is a "feeling". The left hates 45, so any good news is filtered through the idea that the bad orange man is all bad and cannot do good. This results in a strong denial of reality on economics and other issues.

C = yes, more people had COVERAGE, but less people could afford HEALTH CARE because of high out of pocket expense and coverage was falling because the premiums were rising.

D = your best point, but only half of it is accurate. Trump has spent money we do not have. It is the one black mark I give him. But 44 did more deficit spending than all ot the previous presidents combined. So Trump is a failure in this area, but Obama set the standard for what bad management is. But Trump could set the new standard.

E = this is what globalists say, but if you believe in American Exceptionalism, Obama degraded and spoiled the office and Trump, despite moments of unpresidential behavior and language, has restored it. You see, we dont have a **** to give about whether some less free and poorer people or governments beyond our borders like us. We only care that they either genuinely respect us, or, if they don't, that they fear us. Respect and fear prevent a lot of trouble. Projecting weakness and pursuing appeasement invites trouble.
Obama was much more popular in office than Trump is? He ran against Clinton who was unpopular but still received $3M more votes from US citizens. FACTS
Find me a measure of economic activity that isnt incredible. Labor participation, market earnings, unemployment rates in any category, wages, and on and on. What a surprise. A businessman gets put in charge after a community organizer and the businessman does better. Who would have thunk it?