IVC 23-24

You've been discrediting 16-18 yr old high school kids accomplishments all day. Good job. Does that make you feel like a tough guy? These kids from these local schools work their butts off and go to hundreds of practices. If they get to play at the Convo or at a district final and make memories that last a lifetime does that hurt you so much? Are you so jealous that you can't be happy for kids? What a pathetic troll. Go Malvern and Hiland.
Everyone in here already did that when Malvern went undefeated and everyone trashed those kids season. Not one person had anything good to say about that. But saying Hiland had a down season this year is over the line?

One game at a time, guys! Malvern's got McDermott Northwest. What's the scouting report on them? Hiland has Northside Christian again and I'm told they will be handful (and also have a chip on their shoulders.) Would have been great to see three IVC teams in the regionals.

Northwest is a senior laden team but lacks depth. They are led by Connor Lintz, a 6’1” strong physical guard who has one of the better high school mustaches you’ll ever see. 6’2” Tanner Bolin is their other star who shoots it well from outside but also very crafty on the block.

Their best defender is Jenkins who will get after you. There’s a 6’2” sophomore Wolfenbarker who can hit the outside shot and gives them a nice 3rd option on offense.

Northwest was always in the SOC 2 with heavy weights like Wheelersburg, South Webster, Minford, Waverly etc…. When the SOC split to 3 divisions Northwest dropped to the middle division even though they’re bigger than some of the schools in the top division. They also didn’t play a strong out of conference schedule at all.

A lot of people thought the weak schedule would come back to haunt them in the tournament but it did not. They are playing their best basketball of the season and all kids really seem to believe and buy in. They LOVE playing physical. The more physical the game is, the better they are.

With that said, Malvern is absolutely a step up in competition from Burg/Portsmouth, so it will have to take a monumental effort for Northwest to win here.

I think Northwest will compete and give it their all (they’ll have the biggest crowd and cheer block at the Convo, the community is totally bought in). But Malvern just has more horses here so I’d be surprised if Northwest can pull the upset.

Everyone in here already did that when Malvern went undefeated and everyone trashed those kids season. Not one person had anything good to say about that. But saying Hiland had a down season this year is over the line?
I think most people were saying that the coaches should have scheduled up. The kids don't have anything to do with the schedule and it's wrong to pick apart a great season. And if Malvern loses anyone who tries to discredit the kids is also an idiot imo. From what I've heard South Webster in D4 and Harvest Prep in D3 are the toughest teams besides Malvern.

I think most people were saying that the coaches should have scheduled up. The kids don't have anything to do with the schedule and it's wrong to pick apart a great season. And if Malvern loses anyone who tries to discredit the kids is also an idiot imo. From what I've heard South Webster in D4 and Harvest Prep in D3 are the toughest teams besides Malvern.
Good luck to the Hawks and Hornets in there semi's game, make the IVC proud

Yes. Malvern is the best team in the IVC. I hope they make it to state and actually win state. That would be great

I just with the ADULTS had put them in a better position to do so by testing them more in the regular season with a better schedule

Malvern fans should've wanted that as well

Malvern is a big football town too. Hiland guys are getting up 500 shots in October. Our guys are playing both ways in football. That's a huge deal not having football.
I mean in fairness Hiland kids are pretty committed to baseball as well and spend a lot of time playing baseball. It's not like basketball is the only sport Hiland excels at. They've won State in multiple sports.

I mean in fairness Hiland kids are pretty committed to baseball as well and spend a lot of time playing baseball. It's not like basketball is the only sport Hiland excels at. They've won State in multiple sports.
Do you think its harder to go get extra shots after football practice when you're tackling and getting tackled for 3 hours, or after baseball practice when you might sprint 90 feet twice? Also football is right before the basketball season. Our guys are always beat up after playing 12 or 13 weeks, and it always takes us a bit to get going. Malvern has had it's full team for the first official practice date maybe once in the last 20 years. We always have to start a week or two after you guys. We will lose in football playoffs 3 days later the kids are at basketball practice. Baseball is 6 months away from the basketball season too. It is not even close to the same

Last edited:
Do you think its harder to go get extra shots after football practice when you're tackling and getting tackled for 3 hours, or after baseball practice when you might sprint 90 feet twice? Also football is right before the basketball season. Our guys are always beat up after playing 12 or 13 weeks, and it always takes us a bit to get going. Malvern has had it's full team for the first official practice date maybe once in the last 20 years. We always have to start a week or two after you guys. We will lose in football playoffs 3 days later the kids are at basketball practice. Baseball is 6 months away from the basketball season too. It is not even close to the same
From a physical standpoint it's not a comparison I agree. From a time and commitment standpoint Hiland kids that play both sports miss a lot of basketball time in the summer due to baseball commitments and summer leagues. Baseball at Hiland would be similar to basketball at Malvern from a timing standpoint. Kids are late to baseball because they are still playing basketball just like Malvern kids are late to basketball because they play football. I'm curious how many Malvern kids play both sports? Like a JAllen Barrino and Minor and those guys?

From a physical standpoint it's not a comparison I agree. From a time and commitment standpoint Hiland kids that play both sports miss a lot of basketball time in the summer due to baseball commitments and summer leagues. Baseball at Hiland would be similar to basketball at Malvern from a timing standpoint. Kids are late to baseball because they are still playing basketball just like Malvern kids are late to basketball because they play football. I'm curious how many Malvern kids play both sports? Like a JAllen Barrino and Minor and those guys?
20 basketball players I think 16 play football

I just have a question . How is Malvern D3 when they only have 99 boys? Shouldn't they be D4?
open enrollment
What I have been told by many people, that Malvern doesn't guard well in the half court , and that there press is so so,I've only seen once on live stream,and we don't like to compare scores but Monroe Central ran MF off the floor in last regular season by 16 and Hiland just beat MC by11 so that's plus 27 and Malvern just beat MF by 11,so this looks like a+15 difference for Hiland, but games are not won by compared scores
I'm not exactly sure how you can have an opinion while only watching live one time.

And where exactly did JAllen Barrino come from? The transfer gripes are old and tired. Every school has them. Much of Garaways team last year wasn't in grade school there. Tyson Pryor was at Strasburg before IV. Chance Allen just came to MC this year. It's crickets when other schools bring kids in but when it's Hiland then somehow it's the only reason they win? Yeah ok.
He's from Malvern

Might sprint 90 yards twice? Haha. No wonder Malvern is terrible at baseball.

The point is let's not act like all Hiland kids do is play basketball while all of the other schools play multiple sports. Hiland actually wins State titles in multiple sports. How many State titles does Malvern have in their history?

And let's not act like Malvern is Kirtland. You've reached week 13 a few times and week 12 maybe 5 times in your school history. Most of your football seasons are 10 games long just like everybody else.

20 basketball players I think 16 play football
That is quite a few. I'm sure the football makes a difference esp early on. Has to. Thsts why this time of year is so important. If you can somehow make a tournament run it really helps the young kids that are coming back next year. Extra practices, game plans, pressure situations etc. Many more weeks of that if you can avoid losing early but every class is different.

It's to bad Malvern wasn't in the IVC South division this season, that would put to rest all non sense b.s. that goes on here,where the had to play IV home and away, Hiland home and away, Garaway home and away, Sandy home and away,TV home and away and even Claymont,then we will would see who's really the best ,I know they played TV at TV,and Garaway at home, and IV neutral site

It's to bad Malvern wasn't in the IVC South division this season, that would put to rest all non sense b.s. that goes on here,where the had to play IV home and away, Hiland home and away, Garaway home and away, Sandy home and away,TV home and away and even Claymont,then we will would see who's really the best ,I know they played TV at TV,and Garaway at home, and IV neutral site
I wish basketball just played a round robin without divisions.

His Kevin Durant titles? I don’t think he has won a semi finals game without him. Like I said he hasn’t won anything without the biggest transfer in the state of Ohio. He gets to the final four playing River schools then gets embarrassed in the semi final every year.
Hmmm. Could have sworn I sat in the Schott and watched them play a state championship game a few years ago against Convoy Crestview. They got killed because CC was an extraordinary team, but sufficient to prove your theory is errant. Lol

To me, getting to the final four IS the main achievement. Winning one or two games is icing on the cake. Unless you are the most talented and big team there, winning any game involves some luck. I have seen a bunch of very weird things happen at state.

I don't care what your path is to get there. I would agree that the NE is more difficult than the SE, but still, when you do it repeatedly, you are doing something right. Otherwise, many others would be doing it. So, let's be big people and give credit where it is due and not be little and try to diminish the achievements of others.

Mark knows how to coach in these games, and, most importantly, his preparation is elite. If the game can be won, but isn't, it will be because of bad matchups or inadequate performance by his players - but not coaching deficiencies. That's the secret sauce, not some easy path. FWIW

I just seen some of Hiland's next year's non-league schedule,we got Dover at home,and have Ottawa Glandorf at home, Linsly Academy away,And very good with everyone back d2 Lexington at Lex,still two non-league yet to be determined,and the two showcase opponents to be determined

Hmmm. Could have sworn I sat in the Schott and watched them play a state championship game a few years ago against Convoy Crestview. They got killed because CC was an extraordinary team, but sufficient to prove your theory is errant. Lol

To me, getting to the final four IS the main achievement. Winning one or two games is icing on the cake. Unless you are the most talented and big team there, winning any game involves some luck. I have seen a bunch of very weird things happen at state.

I don't care what your path is to get there. I would agree that the NE is more difficult than the SE, but still, when you do it repeatedly, you are doing something right. Otherwise, many others would be doing it. So, let's be big people and give credit where it is due and not be little and try to diminish the achievements of others.

Mark knows how to coach in these games, and, most importantly, his preparation is elite. If the game can be won, but isn't, it will be because of bad matchups or inadequate performance by his players - but not coaching deficiencies. That's the secret sauce, not some easy path. FWIW
It would interesting to see the records over the years of teams coming out of each regional at state. Not just in basketball but in all of the sports.

So what division will Hiland be in next year with the seven divisions and are we going to have a sectionals anymore or just district? I am not going tomorrow night to the game but will watch it on tv. I think it’s going to get ugly quick I watch a little bit of the Christian school and they don’t look to good they must play a very weak teams. I am predicting at least a 20 point win. Friday is different I think we will win but close game Fairfield and south Webster both look good

So what division will Hiland be in next year with the seven divisions and are we going to have a sectionals anymore or just district? I am not going tomorrow night to the game but will watch it on tv. I think it’s going to get ugly quick I watch a little bit of the Christian school and they don’t look to good they must play a very weak teams. I am predicting at least a 20 point win. Friday is different I think we will win but close game Fairfield and south Webster both look good
We will be in d6,94 regular count plus 11 CB numbers, supposedly from what I have seen from other sources 97 and below will be d7, 98 to 143 will be d6

Do you we have any big freshman’s coming to replace big Al any special players to replace Sammy as well ?
Maybe Nick's brother Blake that will be a freshman next year, looks like he could get taller than Nick, have to wait and see if gets a big growth spurt next season, don't see anything that's real special like Sammy coming up, just a bunch of good players, should have pretty deep bench next season,as looks now providing everyone returns and no injuries ,we will have 7 seniors and 6 juniors on the rooster

Last edited:
Maybe Nick's brother Blake that will be a freshman next year, looks like he could get taller than Nick, have to wait and see if gets a big growth spurt next season, don't see anything that's real special like Sammy coming up, just a bunch of good players, should have pretty deep bench next season,as looks now providing everyone returns and no injuries ,we will have 7 seniors and 6 juniors on the rooster
That’s a lot of people on one Rooster.

Hiland 16
Northside Christian 13 end of 1

Hiland 27
NC 17 at half.

Hawks 41
Lions 26 end of 3.

52-32 final.

I ain't gonna lie. I'm a little shocked at how well Hiland is playing right now compared to that ugly Strasburg game a few weeks ago.

Last edited: