IVC 23-24

It's just been a unlucky year for the Hawks, I'm sure there's no other teams we have to play yet,is going to feel sorry for us,the old saying next man up

I am starting to wonder if we are going to get out of the districts how the season is ending this year. Have to see how they respond tomorrow night against west Holmes. If we don’t shoot any better it’s going to be a very short tournament run. But we normally step it up a notch in the tournament I am sure mark will have us ready and the division 4 teams are not as good as what we played during the season.

I watch Monroe Central vs Martins Ferry on the NFHS channel MC looks very legit this season,all though they lost to MF by a point in ot,the Howell boy is very good player, they play again Tuesday at MC see how this game goes,I look for MC by 10 to 15 point win this time

I watch last year game at Hiland a little on YouTube when they played MC they couldn’t handle the pressure the guards were very slow we kept on picking there pocket we still might be to quick for them.

I don't think the sky is falling for Hiland.

They looked terrible against East Canton, worst game of the year by far. The boys did not look motivated, seemed very sluggish. But Sammy and Nick combined for 8 points, I highly doubt they both have a bad game on the same night again. It was just one of those games. No one could hit a shot. That happens in basketball at all levels sometimes. EC did have 2 6'9" players. We won't face that again unless we get to Richmond Heights. Give credit to East Canton, they played Malvern close twice and flat out beat Hiland, they are an impressive team.

That being said, Hiland has played a BRUTAL schedule. They were due for a clunker. They played Lutheran East very close. Beat Wayne Trace. Beat Linsely. Lost on a last second 3 at OG. Lost by a last second foul to Indian Valley and still finished 10-2 in the conference and won the IVC South Co-championship.

The loss of Big Al has been tough, that was obvious in the IV and EC games. Now with Conner out, he will be a big defensive loss too. But... this team did go 6-1 without Sammy with some impressive wins in that span. Yes, they've had some unlucky injuries lately but they are a good team and have already proven they will adjust to the lineup they have.

Anything can happen on any given night with a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds, but I expect a long run in the state tournament.

Last edited:
I don't think the sky is falling for Hiland.

They looked terrible against East Canton, worst game of the year by far. The boys did not look motivated, seemed very sluggish. But Sammy and Nick combined for 8 points, I highly doubt they both have a bad game on the same night again. It was just one of those games. No one could hit a shot. That happens in basketball at all levels sometimes. EC did have 2 6'9" players. We won't face that again unless we get to Richmond Heights. Give credit to East Canton, they played Malvern close twice and flat out beat Hiland, they are an impressive team.

That being said, Hiland has played a BRUTAL schedule. They were due for a clunker. They played Lutheran East very close. Beat Wayne Trace. Beat Linsely. Lost on a last second 3 at OG. Lost by a last second foul to Indian Valley and still finished 10-2 in the conference and won the IVC South Co-championship.

The loss of Big Al has been tough, that was obvious in the IV and EC games. If Conner is out, he will be a big defensive loss too. But... this team did go 6-1 without Sammy with some impressive wins in that span. Yes, they've had some unlucky injuries lately but they are a good team and have already proven they will adjust to the lineup they have.

Anything can happen on any given night with a bunch of 16 and 17 year olds, but I expect a long run in the state tournament.
Good points. All of them. My biggest concern is probably the lack of seniors. Hiland had 3 and now they are down to 1. I think Malvern has a bunch of seniors, IV has some good seniors and Sandy has talented seniors. In the tournament seniors matter. Mix in some solid younger kids and youve got something special. These kids are tough and may well make a run. We will see. Sammy has had a few good games but hasn't been able to put it all together yet. If him and Nick play well anythings possible. Agree that it's impressive to win a share of a very difficult ivc south.

wow I didn't know that, sometimes going undefeated into the tournament, can create a lot of pressure on a team, there's no reason for this Malvern team not to make it to the regionals this season, getting there they could face there real first test maybe in the likes of Harvest Prep

It would shock everyone if they make it to the district finals. Lets be serious
It was just two weeks ago that the Trojans had won 7 of 9 (only losses to Malvern and @ Hiland) and had beaten some good teams. Then the injuries started and unfortunately they literally have zero depth. IF everyone is back for the tournaments they could be looking at a Union Local, Garaway (who they've beaten twice), Martins Ferry/Sandy Valley (who they split with) path to the District title game.

There would be nothing shocking about them winning any of those games. As I said in the original post, there would be nothing shocking about them losing to any of the teams either.

wow I didn't know that, sometimes going undefeated into the tournament, can create a lot of pressure on a team, there's no reason for this Malvern team not to make it to the regionals this season, getting there they could face there real first test maybe in the likes of Harvest Prep
so losing to Trail tonight would help them against Harvest Prep later I don't buy it

so losing to Trail tonight would help them against Harvest Prep later I don't buy it
What are you talking about,did i say anything about losing to Trail, get real,I said there's a lot more pressure on a team when they go undefeated in the regular season,and then heading into the tournament trail even more pressure on a team when there unbeaten, what a crap a++ remark to make

Last edited:
Hiland was tied at 23 with W Holmes at the half.

With 2.9 sec left in the 3rd, they had 26 points. Scored a whopping 3 points. Then Sammy hit a 3/4 court heave. Lol

Still, Hiland announced a name change. For tonight they are the Hiland Masons for all of the bricks they are throwing up. :)

The Masons explode for 13 points in the 4th to win 45-32. Nothing wrong with their defense or effort.

Last edited:
We are going to see alot of zone defense, from here on out,this team is regressing and to many injured starters,if they get to play Monroe Central,they will never beat them this year, I've watched them twice play Martins Ferry and they look very good

But also Malvern didn't have to play IV at IV and they didn't have to play Garaway at Garaway big difference there,we may have not beaten Malvern this year, but I sure in the h+ll would love a shot at them,we have there number the last two times we played them in the tournament, and to top it off the COVID year we beat them on there floor

Never say never with Hiland in tournament we still have mark and Sammy Alex and nick I thought we played better tonight Sammy got finally. You never know what can happen in tournament I am still very impressed with the defense we did good on defense against east canton just couldn’t shoot. I still think we are going to make a run in the tournament. The two new starters are just as good as Conner beachy but he was very good defensively.

He’s been down on the Hornets all year. Thinks their schedule is weak. But Hiland played 3 teams on Malvern’s schedule and lost.
We split with two of the three,they said EC had 29 to's in that game how can anyone lose a game like that,that was about the poorest of a showing on offense,we have had in years

Last edited:
That is pretty bad with the turnovers we should have won that game. That was very offensive so hopefully we will wake up now Sammy did much better tonight and hit that beyond half court shot hopefully that will get him going are defense is plenty good enough.

Never say never with Hiland in tournament we still have mark and Sammy Alex and nick I thought we played better tonight Sammy got finally. You never know what can happen in tournament I am still very impressed with the defense we did good on defense against east canton just couldn’t shoot. I still think we are going to make a run in the tournament. The two new starters are just as good as Conner beachy but he was very good defensively.
Mark said on the radio tonight in the pre game,that they wouldn't have Conner tonight, but didn't say anything about he was out for the year ,I guess I'm hopping for the best

We are going to see alot of zone defense, from here on out,this team is regressing and to many injured starters,if they get to play Monroe Central,they will never beat them this year, I've watched them twice play Martins Ferry and they look very good
I knew MC was good. It's not just about the schedule they played. They dominated the teams they played and most of the teams they played went went to Hilands side of the bracket. I doubt Hiland sees a man defense the rest of the tournament.

How is Toronto that looks like the team will play in the first game of the district. We might play Strasburg at Hiland in the sectional finals are they any good ?

Not sure why you would compare Malvern to Hiland who's down 3 of their top 6-7 players to injury. Take 3 good players off Indian Valley, Garaway or Malvern and see how they do. They would all struggle. It's remarkable Hiland won a share of the IVC. Proud of the kids for fighting hard.

Me too, Toronto will have a hard time getting out of there sectional,I think River is very capable of beating them

How is Toronto that looks like the team will play in the first game of the district. We might play Strasburg at Hiland in the sectional finals are they any good ?
Strasburg is young and they don't have much depth on their roster,I guess there reserve games were only 2 quarters games