IVC- 2019-20

What happened at the end of that SV-Strasburg game? I heard there was a no call on last second shot from mid-court that should of been called.

As for the punch, hard to believe no referee saw it if that bad???? Also, heard it was the AD that instituted the suspension, so good job by him.

On a much lighter note big game at the Wood Tuesday as Hiland 10-1 is at 8-0 Ridgewood, for first place in the IVS South Division
As a veteran of seeing a slew of games in West Laf, why is it that Hiland, boys or girls, hardly ever plays well down there? It's a nice gym with nothing too out of the ordinary - although I've thought the tiles on the end may create some visual aberration that affects shooting. But other than that, I can't think of a reason for the poor performances in that gym by Hiland. Any ideas? If I'm imagining it, just say that. I will seek help.

I will also throw in, probably inadvisably, on the Tiger-Cards controversy.

As I understand it, there are allegations of over-the-top fan behavior on both sides. I believe this - not as an indictment of Tiger or Card fans in particular, but as an observation of fanatics in general.

A player was punched and knocked out or some kind of blow was administered, but the kid stayed on the bench and was highly involved. I suspect some hyperbole on one or both ends of that.

If the SV coach saw the incident, and reacted the way the way that was described, then it is hard for me to imagine, even if we assume that he approves of that kind of behavior (which I am not assuming), that he would not immediately pull the offender out and have a talk with him about how to remain eligible to play. If he cares about his kids (which I will assume), I would expect him to use this as a teaching moment.

I have pretty good reason to trust administrators of schools to do the right things for kids. Normally, they do. Occasionally, they don't. Best to assume the normal than not.

Last, it's prep sports. Trust me, those kids who think a game is life and death now, in 5 years will dump all of his/her memorabilia in a box, force you to store it, and will refuse to claim it because he/she doesn't care about what they did in a game or season that is a half decade in the past. Maybe the adults shouldn't take it that serious now. Do take serious the life and work habits they are learning through athletics because they can really help them as adults. The alleged puncher has a chance to learn something that could make him a much better adult, and it seems that the AD has given him that opportunity - and that's the most important thing about that incident imo.

As a veteran of seeing a slew of games in West Laf, why is it that Hiland, boys or girls, hardly ever plays well down there? It's a nice gym with nothing too out of the ordinary - although I've thought the tiles on the end may create some visual aberration that affects shooting. But other than that, I can't think of a reason for the poor performances in that gym by Hiland. Any ideas? If I'm imagining it, just say that. I will seek help.
Watch... Hiland will come out and not miss a shot now... thanks.

Watch... Hiland will come out and not miss a shot now... thanks.
I love your sense of humor. It's along the same line as me believing that my sacred Mexican bean dip is what wins games for Ohio State. After the Clemson game, I need to find a reason why it failed. Lol.

But, believe it or not, I'm more than half serious. My son and daughter played a bunch of games down there, and I don't think they ever lost, but they were often behind at half, played uninspired, and had to fight hard to get out of there. No one ever felt good coming out - coaches were mad, players were disappointed, fans were wondering what was going on, etc. I got to the point where I just felt like the challenge was to win by a point, get the heck out of there, and start dreading the trip next year. I don't know if that is how it is now, but it sure was 10-15 years ago.

I love your sense of humor. It's along the same line as me believing that my sacred Mexican bean dip is what wins games for Ohio State. After the Clemson game, I need to find a reason why it failed. Lol.

But, believe it or not, I'm more than half serious. My son and daughter played a bunch of games down there, and I don't think they ever lost, but they were often behind at half, played uninspired, and had to fight hard to get out of there. No one ever felt good coming out - coaches were mad, players were disappointed, fans were wondering what was going on, etc. I got to the point where I just felt like the challenge was to win by a point, get the heck out of there, and start dreading the trip next year. I don't know if that is how it is now, but it sure was 10-15 years ago.
You've won too many games if you're complaining about any victory I don't care where it's at
'

You've won too many games if you're complaining about any victory I don't care where it's at
'
I've never won any game. Never played or coached. I'm undefeated and winless. ?

My kids won a lot of games - and I've watched some Hiland coaches win a ton of games. I'm not complaining. Just saying they don't play well in one particular place and wondering why.

Oh, and that home cooking you mentioned a page or two back is due to a shift in goals. When the recruiting dried up, we took those funds and transferred them over to the Purchasing and Influencing of Officials Committee. I was upset that the officials weren't doing their job for us in the first half. I heard the payment was bumped at half. I guess it is true that you get what you pay for. ;)

I started listening on the radio to the Hiland-Malvern game just as Den got the T. I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but the Wooster radio guys said that Malvern kicked their butts in the first half, but Hiland went on an 18-5 run after the half. Since I wasn't there, I can't comment on whether or how the officials impacted that run. However it happens, runs like that win and lose games. Officials can give you some breaks and advantages or they can give you obstacles to overcome (it's usually some degree of both), but usually runs happen because one team is just playing better. FWIW

Last edited:
After 1 Hiland 17 Ridgewood 17.

At half 30-26 Hiland. Pretty well-played game by both teams. Got a little sloppy the last 2 minutes.

RW comes out strong to start the second half. Generals lead 46-41 after 3.

RW just flat out out-played/out-executed Hiland in 2nd half. Was basically in control the last 14 minutes of the game. Generals win it 60-53.

Last edited:
Hiland couldn't hit an outside shot to save their lives, turned the ball over a million times and gave up a lot in the paint defensively. Got a feeling this will turn into a season split after Ridgewood visits Hiland. Huge win for the Generals tonight though...has to be the first win over Hiland in a decade plus.

I've never won any game. Never played or coached. I'm undefeated and winless. ?

My kids won a lot of games - and I've watched some Hiland coaches win a ton of games. I'm not complaining. Just saying they don't play well in one particular place and wondering why.

Oh, and that home cooking you mentioned a page or two back is due to a shift in goals. When the recruiting dried up, we took those funds and transferred them over to the Purchasing and Influencing of Officials Committee. I was upset that the officials weren't doing their job for us in the first half. I heard the payment was bumped at half. I guess it is true that you get what you pay for. ;)

I started listening on the radio to the Hiland-Malvern game just as Den got the T. I wasn't there and don't know what happened, but the Wooster radio guys said that Malvern kicked their butts in the first half, but Hiland went on an 18-5 run after the half. Since I wasn't there, I can't comment on whether or how the officials impacted that run. However it happens, runs like that win and lose games. Officials can give you some breaks and advantages or they can give you obstacles to overcome (it's usually some degree of both), but usually runs happen because one team is just playing better. FWIW
just to be fair the T wasn't on Den

Big win for the Wood! Fun game to watch. Back and forth until midway through the third.
Will be a fun game in Berlin when that rolls around. I know the wood beat hiland in 04 or 05 so it hasn’t been decades as an earlier poster mentioned, Ridgewood legend Kody Babcock nailed a half court buzzer beater to beat the hawks that year. But definitely had been awhile. Hopefully the wood can keep it rolling Friday night as they travel to East Canton!

Fun game to watch last night in West Lafayette. Both teams played very hard but Ridgewood just out executed Hiland down the stretch. Hiland had some sloppy turnovers which is uncharacteristic of them and Ridgewood did a nice job of capitalizing on them. Smith boy had himself a very nice game on both ends of the floor and others played well around him. Was curious how the Generals would play without one of their better offensive guys available (#10 Hamilton, Sickness) but others definitely stepped up.

Last edited:
The General's are a very good team,I knew we were going have to bring our A game,to win this game, he had some sloppy TO's in the first half that's unusual for the Hawks,seems like Hunter and Sam weren't on the same page last night those two always play real well together,we had our chances to widen the lead in the first half,to many miss foul shots and some lay ups,the General's came out in the second half , more hungry and wanted it the more, General's got hot behind the three line and then Hawks had to play catch up rest of the way, hopefully from here on out there's not a upset along the way, till we play them again in the middle of February at home ,with a chance to be co-champs

Garaway @ Malvern should be a good one. Also curious on how the Hiland @ TV will go. TV has been playing very well lately and the 1-2-2 has been causing people issues.

I'm interested to see how the Hornets fare without their leading scorer Dirk Hutcheson it will be a tough task

Tusky Valley 43 - Hiland 33
Ouch.

Every team hits a swoon at some point in a season. Sometimes it is barely noticeable because it comes against inferior teams in the form of a more turnovers, lack of discipline, sloppy execution, etc, but they still win by 20. But if you have some good teams when you dip, you are going to lose. If Woody was right that nothing cleanses the soul like getting the H beat out of you, Hiland should have pretty clean souls. Lol.

Code Red in Hiland. 1-18 from the 3 point line?? When has that ever happened?? Speaking of which, has TV ever beaten Hiland before? Thats a sincere question.

Tip of the cap to the Tusky Valley team, I believe they just beat Garaway, Strasburg, and Hiland in the last week all by double digits. Hiland will be just fine, coach will always use these losses for bettering the team.

The Hawks are in big time shooting slump, from the three line and we really only have one good so called three point shooter in Will Schlabach,then it's just a lack of concentration at the foul line 4 for 11 sure is not going to win many games,has this team lost its focus, I wouldn't be surprised that we are going to see alot zone defense from here on out, not taking anything way from Ridgewood and Tusky Valley two very good teams this year, that's going to be a heck of a battle when they meet, maybe in the IVC showcase or along tournament trail, things don't get any easier for the Hawks as D2 Triway 10-1 comes to Hiland this Tuesday 14, got our hands full again,let see if we can get out of this outside shooting slump

Sounds like a very rough shooting night for the hawks. 1-18 from deep is very hard to overcome. Hiland with only 31 points. Tusky Valley 1-2-2 continues to do its job.

The Hawks are in big time shooting slump, from the three line and we really only have one good so called three point shooter in Will Schlabach,then it's just a lack of concentration at the foul line 4 for 11 sure is not going to win many games,has this team lost its focus, I wouldn't be surprised that we are going to see alot zone defense from here on out, not taking anything way from Ridgewood and Tusky Valley two very good teams this year, that's going to be a heck of a battle when they meet, maybe in the IVC showcase or along tournament trail, things don't get any easier for the Hawks as D2 Triway 10-1 comes to Hiland this Tuesday 14, got our hands full again,let see if we can get out of this outside shooting slump
both those teams are DIII so Hiland will not play them in the tournament

How will this Hiland team handle adversity, now that they have lost two game a row, doesn't happen to often, another tuff game coming up this Tuesday against Triway,see what kind of adjustments the coaches make , I'd like to see the players come out with a little fire in there gut

So if the IVC North and the IVC South divisions would happen to end up being co-champs,so if Malvern and TV are co-champs in the North,and Hiland and Ridgewood are co-champs in the south,does the tie breaker go next to the overall records,I was just thinking for the IVC showcase games, coming up at the end of season