IUDOGS: 2022 - 2023 Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes

re: Amanda-Clearcreek

I think their best move is getting someone who understands the program’s tradition, has a good finger on the pulse of the community and has the networking to build a competent & complete staff. On paper it’d be underwhelming — but it can still be a good hire for the program.
And they did just that. Chet Saum (‘12) is hired as Steve Daulton’s successor at A-C.

Hello fellow Yappi's! Long time listener, first time poster. I am speaking for some frustrated residents in the area when I say we are definitely underwhelmed by the Chet Saum hire. Chet is a great guy who has the Hinton "bloodlines" but is better known for being a track athlete and hasn't coached football in two years at any level. The Saum's run a Christmas Tree farm and were great athletes but ask his brother how coaching went during his two-year stint. Of his years of coaching, he has only coached a position while at Amanda Clearcreek. Being a football fan in SW Fairfield County has me a little frustrated. I had high hopes hearing that 30+ applicants submitted. I had higher hopes when word went around on who applied. I have great pride on what has been accomplished at AC but running a "fixed" race for the next Head Coach to ensure we "keep it in the family" was not what was needed here. From 1981-2009, the entirety of the Ron Hinton era, Amanda went 285-90-3. Remove the last five years, which I can agree was not what we needed, the staff has been Hinton bloodline coaches - Olney, Hinton, and then N. Saum. I will quote the late great Al Davis, "Just win baby," but if staying in the family would take us back to the glory days, shouldn't we have been there already from 2010-2017? The game has progressed and yet we feel the need to keep bringing in retreads. I am sure Chet will instill the visions, teachings and mentality of all the previous coaches. I'll keep buying my Christmas trees from the experts but wish we went another route to take our football program to the next level. When Chet Saum's time comes to an end, I only hope this hiring process doesn't disable the program from bringing in a true football coach in the future.

Last edited:
This one is a little interesting. Not sure I’ve heard of an OCC school handing the keys to the dad of the QB before.
I thought his kids were at Westerville Central? I agree, to hire a players dad is an odd move but I guess it could work out. Does he have experience coaching in the high school/college level or any coaching experience at all?

Jackson hire will be an interesting one. I remember last year that Westerville Central had some issues finding their guy because of teaching years (crazy that a big district doesnt match 10 years like most places), wonder if that came into play here?

Hello fellow Yappi's! Long time listener, first time poster. I am speaking for some frustrated residents in the area when I say we are definitely underwhelmed by the Chet Saum hire. Chet is a great guy who has the Hinton "bloodlines" but is better known for being a track athlete and hasn't coached football in two years at any level. The Saum's run a Christmas Tree farm and were great athletes but ask his brother how coaching went during his two-year stint. Of his years of coaching, he has only coached a position while at Amanda Clearcreek. Being a football fan in SW Fairfield County has me a little frustrated. I had high hopes hearing that 30+ applicants submitted. I had higher hopes when word went around on who applied. I have great pride on what has been accomplished at AC but running a "fixed" race for the next Head Coach to ensure we "keep it in the family" was not what was needed here. From 1981-2009, the entirety of the Ron Hinton era, Amanda went 285-90-3. Remove the last five years, which I can agree was not what we needed, the staff has been Hinton bloodline coaches - Olney, Hinton, and then N. Saum. I will quote the late great Al Davis, "Just win baby," but if staying in the family would take us back to the glory days, shouldn't we have been there already from 2010-2017? The game has progressed and yet we feel the need to keep bringing in retreads. I am sure Chet will instill the visions, teachings and mentality of all the previous coaches. I'll keep buying my Christmas trees from the experts but wish we went another route to take our football program to the next level. When Chet Saum's time comes to an end, I only hope this hiring process doesn't disable the program from bringing in a true football coach in the future.
I'll say this again - I'm not sure why they fired Daulton. That team was extremely young last year. It was nothing more than a JV team really. I don't think anyone was getting multiple wins from that group and that probably wasn't anyone's fault. They were simply freshman and sophomores playing a varsity schedule.

While I understand the disappointment and reluctance, the grapevine was that not many wanted anything to do with the job. The district doesn’t have the resources to lock down a candidate with HC experience who also wants (needs) in-building jobs for his staff, and there is a prevailing opinion that Daulton was a canary in the coal mine for guys who aren’t from the AC community.

They could have done worse, IMO. I don’t think anyone else, who hadn’t withdrawn themselves from consideration, would’ve been more qualified than Chet for the job. One other thing I think worth considering is the BOE might not have approved a super’s recommendation for someone else. Or it would’ve been a 4-1 or 3-2… which wouldn’t have been good fortune down the line for the other guy.

I dont know that Williamson is leaving Washington Court House for Harding. There has not been any word from either school district that this is happeing.

IT'S JANUARY 20, 2023

136: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2021 - 2022
109: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes In 2020 - 2021
108: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2019 - 2020
125: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2018 - 2019
107: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2017 - 2018
106: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2016 - 2017
113: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2015 - 2016
145: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2014 - 2015

IC = Interim Coach

DIVISION I
NO. SCHOOL____________________________OLD COACH_____________________NEW COACH

01. WESTERVILLE NORTH
_______________Bryan Johnson____________________Stanley Jackson
02. CINCINNATI COLERAIN ______________Shawn Cutright
03. PICKERINGTON CENTRAL ___________Jay Sharrett_______________________Jeff Lomomico
04. CINCINNATI WESTERN HILLS _______ Charles Boyd
05. ELYRIA _____________________________ Devlin Culliver
06. CLEVELAND ST IGNATIUS ___________Chuck Kyle________________________Ryan Franzinger
07. GALLOWAY WESTLAND _____________Rick Rios_________________________ Trent Williamson
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DIVISION II

01. TOLEDO ST FRANCIS_________________
Mike Blochowski_________________Charles Woolridge
02. MARION HARDING ___________________Dan Arndt_______________________
03. TOLEDO START ______________________Godrey Lewis____________________ Nate James
04. SIDNEY _____________________________ Adam Doenges___________________Dave Taynor
05. ASHVILLE TEAYS VALLEY ____________Mark Weber _____________________ Brian Cross
06. AMHERST STEELE __________________ Kenny Fritz_______________________Tom Thome
07. COLUMBUS WHETSTONE ___________ Tom Jones
08. COLUMBUS MIFFLIN ________________BJ Queen
09. DUBLIN SCIOTO ____________________ Karl Johnson
10. HOLLAND SPRINGFIELD ____________ Jerry Bell
11. LAKEWOOD ________________________ Tom Thome
12. AKRON ELLET ______________________ Phillip Mitchell
13. ASHLAND __________________________ Sean Seder_______________________Scott Valentine
14. CUYAHOGA FALLS __________________Shane Parker
15. PENINSULA WOODRIDGE ___________Jeff Decker
16. CINCINNATI TURPIN ________________Kent McCullough
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DIVISION III
NO. SCHOOL___________________________OLD COACH_____________________ NEW COACH

01. CLEVELAND BENEDICTINE _________
Jarrett Goode_____________________Joe Prevesk
02. WARREN HOWLAND ________________Steve Boyle______________________ Brian Jones
03. TOLEDO WOODWARD ______________ Allan Thompson
04. CHARDON NORTE DAME ___________ Andrew Mooney___________________Anthony Baldesare
___ CATHEDRAL LATIN
05. LOUISVILLE
________________________Troy Davis_________________________Chris Kappas
06. MAUMEE __________________________ Cam Coutcher_____________________Evan Karcher
07. COLUMBUS CENTENNIAL __________ Donte Goosby
08. CINCINNATI WOODWARD __________ Jeremy Pflug
09. NORWALK _________________________Todd Fox__________________________Jason Ziegler
10. ALLIANCE MARLINGTON ___________Philo Mauro
11. WEST CARROLLTON ______________ Chris Mobley______________________ Anthony Parker
12. KENT ROOSEVELT _________________Alan Vanderink
13. MANSFIELD MADISON _____________Scott Valentine_____________________
___COMPREHENSIVE

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DIVISION IV

01. EAST LIVERPOOL __________________
Jason Duke _______________________Paul Cusick
02. BELLVILLE CLEAR FORK ___________Dave Carroll______________________ Aaron Brokaw
03. LIMA BATH ________________________ Ryan Reindel
04. ST PARIS GRAHAM ________________Dave Taynor
05. COLUMBUS KIPP __________________James Lee
06. CALEDONIA RIVER VALLEY ________ Doug Green
07. YOUNGSTOWN EAST ______________ Mark Assion______________________Devlin Culliver
08. COLUMBUS MARION _ FRANKLIN
__David Lakso
09. BELLEFONTAINE BENJAMIN _______Jeff Frey___________________________
___LOGAN

DIVISION V
NO. SCHOOL___________________________OLD COACH______________________NEW COACH

01. MILLBURY LAKE ___________________
Josh Andrews_____________________Dave Rymers (IC)
02. NEW FRANKLIN MANCHESTER _____Jay Brophy_______________________Kevin Stacy
03. DEFIANCE TINORA _________________ Jeff Schliesser ___________________ Eric Becker
04. AMANDA - CLEARCREEK ___________Steve Daulton_____________________Chet Saum
05. SPRINGFIELD NORTHWESTERN ____ Nicholas Bandstra
06. CORTLAND LAKEVIEW _____________ Sam Bellino
07. SPENCERVILLE ____________________ Chris Sommers
08. CASSTOWN MIAMI EAST ___________ Max Current
09. CINCINNATI PURCELL - MARIAN ____DJ Dowdy________________________ Jeremy Pflug
10. WELLSTON ________________________ Karl B Justus______________________Chris Graham
11. WOOSTER TRIWAY _________________Eric Brenner
12. NORWOOD _________________________Greg Conwell

DIVISION VI

01. OREGON CARDINAL STRITCH _______
Gene Rucker_____________________ Allan Thompson
___CATHOLIC
02. COLUMBIANA CRESTVIEW
__________Paul Cusick
03. HICKSVILLE ________________________Lucas Smith
04. ROCKFORD PARKWAY ______________Joel Henkle
05. NORTH LEWISBURG TRIAD _________ Dylan Wears
06. BUCYRUS __________________________Tim Plumley
07. BELPRE ____________________________Jimmie Bell
08. SHERWOOD FAIRVIEW ______________Jon McCord
09. PAULDING _________________________ Steve Ferrell______________________Jim Menzies
10. COLUMBIANA CRESTVIEW __________Paul Cusick______________________ Dominic Perry

DIVISION VII

01. STRASBURG - FRANKLIN ___________
Tom Spidell _______________________ Jim Morris
02. PLYMOUTH ________________________Mark Genders _____________________John Gillum
03. CONVEY CRESTVIEW _______________James Lautzenheiser
04. FREMONT ST JOSEPH CENTRAL ____Scott Knisely____________________________________
___CATHOLIC
05. Newark Catholic
____________________Ryan Aiello
06. VIENNA MATHEWS _________________ Bill Bohren_________________________Matt Polta
07. LEETONIA _________________________ John Protopapa
08. BOWERSTON CONOTTON VALLEY __Don Hertler
09. DOLA HARDIN NORTHERN _________ Travis Rettig
10. WELLSVILLE
_______________________Robert Ramsey

__45__Schools that are still looking for a new Head Football Coach

__32__Schools that Have a new Head Football Coach

__209__Days left before the beginning of the 2023 Ohio High School Football Season

:cool::p:):banana::D:unsure:

THIS IS IUDOGS SIGNING OFF.

It's January 20, 2023

1. Evan Karcher is replacing Coach Cam Coutcher as the new head Football Coach at Maumee (Division III).
2. Aaron Brokaw is replacing Coach Dave Carroll as the new Head Football Coach at Bellville Clear Fork (Division IV).
3. Chet Saum is replacing Coach Steve Daulton as the new Head Football Coach at Amanda - Clearcreek (Division V).
4. Stanley Jackson is replacing Coach Bryan Johnson as the new Head Football Coach at Westerville North (Division I).
5. Kevin Stacy is replacing Coach Jay Brophy as the new Head Football Coach at New Franklin Manchester (Division V).
6. Wellsville (Division VII) is now looking for a new Head Football Coach to replace Coach Robert Ramsey.

:);):cool::banana::D:unsure:

This is IUDOGS signing off.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 42339E59-FBBF-45DB-83DE-A9095AA54720.jpeg
    42339E59-FBBF-45DB-83DE-A9095AA54720.jpeg
    82.9 KB · Views: 34
🌟💚🏈Green Wave Nation, we are excited to announce that Josh Hendershot has been named Head Coach of the Newark Catholic Football program!🏈💚🌟

Josh is no stranger to NC, being a graduate, standout All-Ohio lineman, and member of the 2007 State Champion Football team. After graduating from Newark Catholic in 2010, Josh continued his football career at the University of Toledo, where he started thirty-eight straight games on the offensive line and was named 2nd Team All Mid-American Conference as a senior. Hendershot was formerly on staff at NC as an Assistant Coach, he was an Offensive Graduate Assistant Coach at the University of Toledo from 2017-2018, he spent the 2019 season with the University of Michigan football program as an Offensive Graduate Assistant working with the Offensive Line, and most recently, he spent the last three years at the University of Dayton (as the Offensive Coordinator and Offensive Line coach in 2022, and the Run Game Coordinator and Offensive Line coach from 2021-2020).

Coach Hendershot brings a tremendous background of dedication and success to our program, and we are excited for this new chapter! Please join us in welcoming Coach Hendershot home!

Is Ben Logan the place where they throw the football all over the place like an air raid. I know a lot of teams who have a hard time adjusting at half time against them.

They have wasted so much talent recently, it’s not even a good air raid. They just throw deep verticals.
they have always had athletes at that school but have never been better than mediocre at team sports. i think they saw what Kenton did a couple miles north and thought they could do that as well.

IT'S JANUARY 24, 2023

136: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2021 - 2022
109: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes In 2020 - 2021
108: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2019 - 2020
125: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2018 - 2019
107: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2017 - 2018
106: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2016 - 2017
113: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2015 - 2016
145: Ohio High School Head Football Coaching Changes in 2014 - 2015

IC = Interim Coach

DIVISION I

01. WESTERVILLE NORTH
_______________Bryan Johnson____________________Stanley Jackson
02. CINCINNATI COLERAIN ______________Shawn Cutright
03. PICKERINGTON CENTRAL ___________Jay Sharrett_______________________Jeff Lomomico
04. CINCINNATI WESTERN HILLS _______ Charles Boyd
05. ELYRIA _____________________________ Devlin Culliver
06. CLEVELAND ST IGNATIUS ___________Chuck Kyle________________________Ryan Franzinger
07. GALLOWAY WESTLAND _____________Rick Rios_________________________ Trent Williamson
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DIVISION II

01. TOLEDO ST FRANCIS_________________
Mike Blochowski_________________Charles Woolridge
02. MARION HARDING ___________________Dan Arndt_______________________Chuck Williamson
03. TOLEDO START ______________________Godrey Lewis____________________ Nate James
04. SIDNEY _____________________________ Adam Doenges___________________Dave Taynor
05. ASHVILLE TEAYS VALLEY ____________Mark Weber _____________________ Brian Cross
06. AMHERST STEELE __________________ Kenny Fritz_______________________Tom Thome
07. COLUMBUS WHETSTONE ___________ Tom Jones
08. COLUMBUS MIFFLIN ________________BJ Queen
09. DUBLIN SCIOTO ____________________ Karl Johnson
10. HOLLAND SPRINGFIELD ____________ Jerry Bell
11. LAKEWOOD ________________________ Tom Thome
12. AKRON ELLET ______________________ Phillip Mitchell
13. ASHLAND __________________________ Sean Seder_______________________Scott Valentine
14. CUYAHOGA FALLS __________________Shane Parker
15. PENINSULA WOODRIDGE ___________Jeff Decker
16. CINCINNATI TURPIN ________________Kent McCullough

DIVISION III

01. CLEVELAND BENEDICTINE _________
Jarrett Goode_____________________Joe Prevesk
02. WARREN HOWLAND ________________Steve Boyle______________________ Brian Jones
03. TOLEDO WOODWARD ______________ Allan Thompson
04. CHARDON NORTE DAME ___________ Andrew Mooney___________________Anthony Baldesare
___ CATHEDRAL LATIN
05. LOUISVILLE
________________________Troy Davis_________________________Chris Kappas
06. MAUMEE __________________________ Cam Coutcher_____________________Evan Karchner
07. COLUMBUS CENTENNIAL __________ Donte Goosby
08. CINCINNATI WOODWARD __________ Jeremy Pflug
09. NORWALK _________________________Todd Fox__________________________Jason Ziegler
10. ALLIANCE MARLINGTON ___________Philo Mauro
11. WEST CARROLLTON ______________ Chris Mobley______________________ Anthony Parker
12. KENT ROOSEVELT _________________Alan Vanderink
13. MANSFIELD MADISON _____________Scott Valentine_____________________
___COMPREHENSIVE
14. WASHINGTON COURT HOUSE
_____ Chuck Williamson

DIVISION IV

01. EAST LIVERPOOL __________________
Jason Duke _______________________Paul Cusick
02. BELLVILLE CLEAR FORK ___________Dave Carroll______________________ Aaron Brokaw
03. LIMA BATH ________________________ Ryan Reindel
04. ST PARIS GRAHAM ________________Dave Taynor
05. COLUMBUS KIPP __________________James Lee
06. CALEDONIA RIVER VALLEY ________ Doug Green
07. YOUNGSTOWN EAST ______________ Mark Assion______________________Devlin Culliver
08. COLUMBUS MARION _ FRANKLIN
__David Lakso
09. BELLEFONTAINE BENJAMIN _______Jeff Frey___________________________
___LOGAN
10. LANCASTER FAIRFIELD UNION
____ Sean Krupla_______________________ Andy Clark

DIVISION V

01. MILLBURY LAKE ___________________
Josh Andrews_____________________Dave Rymers (IC)
02. NEW FRANKLIN MANCHESTER _____Jay Brophy_______________________Kevin Stacy
03. DEFIANCE TINORA _________________ Jeff Schliesser ___________________ Eric Becker
04. AMANDA - CLEARCREEK ___________Steve Daulton_____________________Chet Saum
05. SPRINGFIELD NORTHWESTERN ____ Nicholas Bandstra
06. CORTLAND LAKEVIEW _____________ Sam Bellino
07. SPENCERVILLE ____________________ Chris Sommers
08. CASSTOWN MIAMI EAST ___________ Max Current
09. CINCINNATI PURCELL - MARIAN ____DJ Dowdy________________________ Jeremy Pflug
10. WELLSTON ________________________ Karl B Justus______________________Chris Graham
11. WOOSTER TRIWAY _________________Eric Brenner
12. NORWOOD _________________________Greg Conwell

DIVISION VI

01. OREGON CARDINAL STRITCH _______
Gene Rucker_____________________ Allan Thompson
___CATHOLIC
02. COLUMBIANA CRESTVIEW
__________Paul Cusick
03. HICKSVILLE ________________________Lucas Smith
04. ROCKFORD PARKWAY ______________Joel Henkle
05. NORTH LEWISBURG TRIAD _________ Dylan Wears
06. BUCYRUS __________________________Tim Plumley
07. BELPRE ____________________________Jimmie Bell
08. SHERWOOD FAIRVIEW ______________Jon McCord
09. PAULDING _________________________ Steve Ferrell______________________Jim Menzies
10. COLUMBIANA CRESTVIEW __________Paul Cusick______________________ Dominic Perry
11. CHILLICOTHE HUNTINGTON ________Ed Yates
12. DOYLESTOWN CHIPPEWA __________Mike Bohley
13. WEST ALEXANDRIA TWIN VALLEY __ Chris Fogle
___SOUTH
14. METAMORA EVERGREEN
___________Evan Karchner

DIVISION VII

01. STRASBURG - FRANKLIN ___________
Tom Spidell _______________________ Jim Morris
02. PLYMOUTH ________________________Mark Genders _____________________John Gillum
03. CONVEY CRESTVIEW _______________James Lautzenheiser
04. FREMONT ST JOSEPH CENTRAL ____Scott Knisely____________________________________
___CATHOLIC
05. Newark Catholic
____________________Ryan Aiello________________________ Josh Hendershot
06. VIENNA MATHEWS _________________ Bill Bohren_________________________Matt Polta
07. LEETONIA _________________________ John Protopapa
08. BOWERSTON CONOTTON VALLEY __Don Hertler
09. DOLA HARDIN NORTHERN _________ Travis Rettig
10. WELLSVILLE
_______________________Robert Ramsey
11. PORTSMOUTH NOTRE DAME ______ Bob Ashley

__49__Schools that are still looking for a new Head Football Coach

__35__Schools that Have a new Head Football Coach

__205__Days left before the beginning of the 2023 Ohio High School Football Season

:cool::p:):banana::D:unsure:

It's January 24, 2023.

1. Andy Clark is replacing Coach Sean Krupla as the new Head Football Coach at Lancaster Fairfield Union (Division IV).
2. Chuck Williamson is replacing Coach Dan Arndt as the new Head Football Coach at Marion Harding (Division II).
3. Josh Hendershot is replacing Coach Ryan Aiello as the new Head Football Coach at Newark Catholic (Division VII).
4. Chillicothe Huntington (Division VI) is now looking for a new Head Football Coach to replace Coach Ed Yates.
5. Doylestown Chippewa (Division VI) is now looking for a new Head Football Coach to replace Coach Mike Bohley.
6. West Alexandria Twin Valley South (Division VI) is now looking for new head Football Coach to replace Coach Chris Fogle.
7. Washington Court House (Division III) is now looking for a new Head Football Coach to replace Coach Chuck Williamson.
8. Metamora Evergreen (Division VI) is now looking for a new Head Football Coach to replace Coach Evan Karchner.
9. Portsmouth Notre Dame (Division VII) is now looking for a new Head Football coach to replace Coach Bob Ashley.

:unsure: :D :banana: ;) :)