Is Ohio Girls HS Basketball On 'Life Support'?

No. This has been going on for a few years. There's a very large gap between the Haves and Have Nots.

Part of the problem is Tri-Village taking a first round game instead of a bye. First round they played the 11 seed, next they play the 10 seed.

The argument of getting extra reps in goes out the door when the other team can score only 1 point. A good practice would have been better.

Part of the problem is Tri-Village taking a first round game instead of a bye. First round they played the 11 seed, next they play the 10 seed.

The argument of getting extra reps in goes out the door when the other team can score only 1 point. A good practice would have been better.
Absolutely agree. Nothing good can come out of these games - coaches claim rhythm, another chance to work on things and tune up...I call BS. How does beating a team like that make you any better whatsoever. Make no mistake, these games are for padding stats and breaking records. Thats it.

Absolutely agree. Nothing good can come out of these games - coaches claim rhythm, another chance to work on things and tune up...I call BS. How does beating a team like that make you any better whatsoever. Make no mistake, these games are for padding stats and breaking records. Thats it.
I cannot speak for Tri-Village. They apparently had a girl set a record last night. However, I can speak for Crestview. Our coach took a first round game and every team went away from us. This isn't always the case. If you look at two other border schools to Crestview, albeit in division three; the #3 seed Parkway took the first round game instead of a bye and the #9 seed Wayne Trace elected to play them......Wayne Trace won the game. Had Parkway have taken the bye, they would be in sectional finals on Saturday night. Its a gamble to take the first round game. Its tournament. Anything can happen.

Another issue is money. With home sites for sectional games now, even though the schools get 0% of the gate, they still get concessions, parking, etc. It may not be a large amount, but that number for two games is almost always going to be higher than that number for one game. I don't know that coaches take that into consideration when they place themselves on the bracket, but I'd bet some do...

Another issue is money. With home sites for sectional games now, even though the schools get 0% of the gate, they still get concessions, parking, etc. It may not be a large amount, but that number for two games is almost always going to be higher than that number for one game. I don't know that coaches take that into consideration when they place themselves on the bracket, but I'd bet some do...
Neither Crestview nor Tri-Village hosted their games.

I cannot speak for Tri-Village. They apparently had a girl set a record last night. However, I can speak for Crestview. Our coach took a first round game and every team went away from us. This isn't always the case. If you look at two other border schools to Crestview, albeit in division three; the #3 seed Parkway took the first round game instead of a bye and the #9 seed Wayne Trace elected to play them......Wayne Trace won the game. Had Parkway have taken the bye, they would be in sectional finals on Saturday night. Its a gamble to take the first round game. Its tournament. Anything can happen.
To speak on every team going away…

This has been the case for Tri-Village for quite some time. They’re usually one of the top seeds, and most others try to avoid them for as long as possible. If you look at their bracket, scores like this will happen a few more times.

I think a bigger issue is just how outmatched some of the lower teams are. For example, Yellow Springs is 0-20.

I don't think going to best seed hosting has any impact unless it is forcing some schools to staff for a game. I have been to two first round home games and the attendance has be less than regular season and the concessions have been reduced to no food.

It is the haves and have nots as stated and high school sports on a down cycle. Will it end... probably not as kids have too many choices for their time.

To speak on every team going away…

This has been the case for Tri-Village for quite some time. They’re usually one of the top seeds, and most others try to avoid them for as long as possible. If you look at their bracket, scores like this will happen a few more times.

I think a bigger issue is just how outmatched some of the lower teams are. For example, Yellow Springs is 0-20.
You sure on their record? Their website (Metro Buckeye Conference) only has them playing 8 games this year.

I’m asking same question as Matt Goeller.
Home games in the tournament?
In SW OH D1 specifically host teams do NOT play in their home gyms. Don’t know if they can’t by rule or District just doesn’t allow it.
SWDAB actually moves host teams games if they are scheduled in “home gym” Sectionals.
Lakota East last 2 seasons, Princeton LY and TY if they continue winning.
East has Sectional final next week that has been moved to Lakota West, not even a hosting site for any other D1 Girls Sectional games.

Honestly, thought that was an OHSAA rule?

In SW OH D1 specifically host teams do NOT play in their home gyms. Don’t know if they can’t by rule or District just doesn’t allow it.
SWDAB actually moves host teams games if they are scheduled in “home gym” Sectionals.
East has Sectional final next week that has been moved to Lakota West, not even a hosting site for any other D1 Girls Sectional games.

Maybe someone is assuming basketball is the same as football with teams hosting home games ?

Up in NEO, the Sectional games are hosted in the higher seeds gym. When they get to the district semifinal, games are played at a neutral site.
In looking at the site info on the brackets, the Central, NE, E, and SE all use that format. IIRC, the Central was the first to do it. It appears that only the NW and SW use neutral sites for the sectional rounds.

In looking at the site info on the brackets, the Central, NE, E, and SE all use that format. IIRC, the Central was the first to do it. It appears that only the NW and SW use neutral sites for the sectional rounds.
Central went to it around 2012.

The Southeast changed recently to this model for basketball about a year, or two, ago. They used to use sites such as McDermott Northwest and Wellston for the sectional stages in D4; Southeastern and Meigs (?) for D3; Waverly and Logan (think it was Waverly) in D2.

Central went to it around 2012.

The Southeast changed recently to this model for basketball about a year, or two, ago. They used to use sites such as McDermott Northwest and Wellston for the sectional stages in D4; Southeastern and Meigs (?) for D3; Waverly and Logan (think it was Waverly) in D2.
I believe the NE saw where attendance was heading under the neutral site format and figured they might at least draw a good home crowd to limit their losses by playing at the higher seed's venue. NE went to the home site format starting with the 2014-2015 season.

I believe the NE saw where attendance was heading under the neutral site format and figured they might at least draw a good home crowd to limit their losses by playing at the higher seed's venue. NE went to the home site format starting with the 2014-2015 season.
In the SE’s case, the boys’ used to play the sectional games at the mentioned schools and then the District stage at the Convocation Center in Athens. However, OU can no longer guarantee the dates necessary every year so some of those neutral sites have since become district sites in order to assuage the volunteer workload (with higher seeds hosting until the district in turn.)

There’s no home games.

East played at West tonight.

I don't get why it's a choice - force the top seeds to take the first round bye like in every sport above HS level. Set the brackets up based on seeding with all the higher seeds having first round byes (think college conference tournaments.) Eliminates so much BS to just do it this way.

Casual, why punish the team that earned the right to make the choice? If a coach wants to keep up the routine of games every few days, who are you to tell them they can't?

Casual, why punish the team that earned the right to make the choice? If a coach wants to keep up the routine of games every few days, who are you to tell them they can't?
MCGal is totally right here.

Also - this is why it's unacceptable when teams go on a bracket and then withdraw and don't play the game. They are ruining these routines that people have earned and would like to continue.

Also - this is why it's unacceptable when teams go on a bracket and then withdraw and don't play the game. They are ruining these routines that people have earned and would like to continue.
McGal has a fair point. It is ultimately the strategy of the coaching staff on what. they feel is best for their team. There are plenty of teams that would rather take the bye rather than risk an unnecessary injury or worst case scenario an ejection or something that prevents a player or coach from being able to play in their next game. Some teams use the extra time off to get healthy and I think someone mentioned above that they will get more out of a hard practice against themselves rather than beating someone by 90.

So earning a first round bye is a punishment?

Please stop with the routine stuff - if teams played every Wednesday and Saturday throughout the season, sure, I could buy the routine part. But reality is, they don't. Schedules are all over the place - there is no weekly routine. The only routine they get is the layup line before the game. They learn/get nothing by beating a team by 60 points in the first round. The only thing it accomplishes is padding stats/wins and breaking scoring records. Thats it. Every one of those coaches would tell you they practice harder than they play in those games.

IMO, let the higher seeds play a first round game if they want but I would give the home game to the team that took the bye.