Is Moeller's defense switching to the 3-3-5?

Wheelman

Is Moeller's defense switching to the 3-3-5? I thought I heard that somewhere. St. X and some other schools ran it last year and it looks like it's tough to beat. Does anyone know if it's true?

Frank Becker told me that also. It sounds like a good D but you need the players. Elder switched to it last year and gave up more yards and points than they had in their history. Where is Schira when you needed him! In Moe's case they had a solid D last year with lots of returning starters, why mess with it?

Switching to the 3-3-5 brings in more team speed, if you have the players that is. You bring in two extra "rovers" essentially, so two safety players who can bring the wood in the run game and at the same time play decent coverage. So, in a sense you have 5 linebackers and also 5 safeties at the same time. But it really only works if you have the guys to play it with, guys who have combined speed and power, if you don't, you're gonna get burned badly. Not sure if I agree with the move considering it didn't seem like Moeller has much team speed, but maybe they do and this is their way of bringing it out more to help the defense. In my experience, in college, when we moved our best speed and agility guys to defense, we ended up giving the second least amount of points per game in the school's modern era, so I have to say that speed on D wins ballgames now, not so much in brute strength and power like it used to be. That is due to the change towards the spread offenses that most teams play nowadays, plus if you play Colerain, you can take the two rovers and play them as outside linebackers, essentially making the D a 5-3 defense that has speed on the outside, which is a great stragedy for that triple-O of Colerains. Just my humble opinion of course, we'll see if Moe can pull it off.

it is a good move. moeller's defense will dominate next year and the offense will be much better with Naumann as the offensive coordinator.

Good matchup

If Moe's D is as good as advertised it will be a great matchup in Week two against Middletown's explosive offense featuring GMC athelete of the year, QB Skyler Jones, and a bevy of speedy recievers and running backs.

The Middie O-line this year is unbelievably massive.

Looking forward to this one.

I hope the switch improves the D. To be quite honest the D was actually not as good as the Offense statistically last year. Look it up on gclsports.com. But the O was second in all the statistical categories except points scored, which I'll admit, was a weak point. But yardage wise they did great. Moe struggled with playing in space last year at the linebacker and safety position from time to time, so I think this is why the switch is being made, to add extra guys in the coverage for passing situations. Most of the team sacks came from the D-line anyway last year, so they can run this D with the purpose of adding more coverage guys. Plus, it gives you more options with zone blitz packages and allows you to attack from the perimeter better than other Ds. However, you have to have a kick--- front 3 in order to hold those linemen from getting to your backers, or else you are sunk in the running game.

How did Moeller fare last year when they played really fast teams ?

Was the D able to adapt ? How is Moeller's team speed ?