Is college football better than the NFL

Answer the question

• Yes

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters

Sig Hansen

After watching that game I don't know how you could say it isn't. But I'd say college has been better for at least 3-4 years now, and I generally like both.

I’ve always liked college better personally. I watch a lot of college ball and maybe only one pro game a week.

The NFL made a mistake with Goodell and just doubled down on it. At this point it seems like the owners don't care if their ship sinking.

I will watch college games I do not care about who wins, where as in the NFL I basically watch the Bengals. However I am a bigger Bengal fan than probably OSU fan. When the Bengals lost to the Steelers several years ago in the play-offs I was sick to my stomach. So overall probably more of a college fan. As for which one is better the NFL is a QB league, College game not as much but both can produce exciting entertaining games.

No contest folks, pro ball is always better than college. Don't you want to see the best of the best? At least in the pros, there is a true attempt at parity. In college, it's the same handful of teams each year. It's one reason why college is so popular in Ohio, the Buckeyes are guaranteed to win 10 games a year just by showing up. Weak non-conf schedule, followed by a weak big ten schedule.

The advantage that college football has is that the teams play alot of patsies to build up the hoopla of the big games. You are always going to have undefeated or one loss teams (rarely two loss teams) playing for the championship. Also, there is alot more variety in the college game.

The NFL is the best of the best and that will always make it the top dog but college football has carved out their own corner of the sports universe.

No just due to the subjective playoff structure.

In the NFL you earn your way into the playoffs, college is a beauty contest.

Game for game, college football is a lot more entertaining. Access to the games on TV is WAY better for college football then the pros. Seeing exotic match-ups with contrasting styles of play is also MUCH BETTER for college then the pros. The enthusiasm of the players & fans at college game is superior as is the atmosphere surrounding the college game.

But the pros have one HUGE advantage - they crown a true champion every year. The pro playoff structure is infinity better then the college game's playoff setup.

In football, the college game is more entertaining than the pros but their postseason is lame.

In basketball, the college game is less entertaining than the pros but their postseason is incredible.

Agreed, College is the best of football- not because of the level of play but because of the atmosphere.

I will say that I am not a fan of the playoff format. I thought Ohio State being the winner of the Big Ten SHOULD have made the playoffs. I think there needs to be 6 or 8 teams in the playoffs. I think had Ohio State beat Wisconsin like they should have they would be in but 55-24 loss to Iowa is pretty damning argument against them. However I am tired of the media myth that Oklahoma/OSU was a blowout.

Ohio State in 2015 was robbed out of a playoff spot. They had a 3 point loss to a one loss Michigan State team. Michigan State got in despite a loss to a 7 loss Nebraska team and gave up a buttload of points. Alabama got in despite a shootout loss to Ole Miss (yet I have little argument with them getting in). Oklahoma lost to a 5 win Texas team which were beaten by 43 (TCU) and 35 (Notre Dame) points.

NCAA FB is unique in that it is the only team sport where style counts, that makes it stand out against all other team sports and creates the tension that stirs the passionate regional fan bases. But this aspect is also what makes it so maddening and tough to get 100% on board with in the long run. On the field the NCAA product may be better but over all the NFL has the better sports product.

I will say that I am not a fan of the playoff format. I thought Ohio State being the winner of the Big Ten SHOULD have made the playoffs. I think there needs to be 6 or 8 teams in the playoffs. I think had Ohio State beat Wisconsin like they should have they would be in but 55-24 loss to Iowa is pretty damning argument against them. However I am tired of the media myth that Oklahoma/OSU was a blowout.

Ohio State in 2015 was robbed out of a playoff spot. They had a 3 point loss to a one loss Michigan State team. Michigan State got in despite a loss to a 7 loss Nebraska team and gave up a buttload of points. Alabama got in despite a shootout loss to Ole Miss (yet I have little argument with them getting in). Oklahoma lost to a 5 win Texas team which were beaten by 43 (TCU) and 35 (Notre Dame) points.

So basically what you are saying is that Ohio State should get in every year, and the other 3 spots are open to the rest of the country?

It just really frustrates me how Buckeye fans think. But it's what fans do. There is nothing in the playoff format that says that conf champs automatically get in. Let me type that again...THERE IS NOTHING IN THE PLAYOFF FORMAT THAT SAYS THAT CONF CHAMPS AUTOMATICALLY GET IN!!!
Ohio State lost - at home - to Oklahoma by double digits, and it wasn't that close. That aside, the 31 point loss at Iowa should have automatically knocked them out. Iowa was a game over .500. Alabama lost to Auburn, who was in the SEC final and beat two #1 teams this season. I just don't understand why this is so hard for Buckeye fans to understand.

So basically what you are saying is that Ohio State should get in every year, and the other 3 spots are open to the rest of the country?

It just really frustrates me how Buckeye fans think. But it's what fans do. There is nothing in the playoff format that says that conf champs automatically get in. Let me type that again...THERE IS NOTHING IN THE PLAYOFF FORMAT THAT SAYS THAT CONF CHAMPS AUTOMATICALLY GET IN!!!
Ohio State lost - at home - to Oklahoma by double digits, and it wasn't that close. That aside, the 31 point loss at Iowa should have automatically knocked them out. Iowa was a game over .500. Alabama lost to Auburn, who was in the SEC final and beat two #1 teams this season. I just don't understand why this is so hard for Buckeye fans to understand.

Oh, and this is yet another reason why the NFL is much better. You win on the field. College is way too subjective and no one is really in charge. So you get a large fraction of the big boys - teams that people will watch. You try to get UCF in the mix, see what their TV ratings are.

No I think what we're saying is that if Ohio State WINS the B1G EVERY year then they should get in. Ditto for any other P5 conference champs.

The fact that the current deeply flawed playoff system doesn't include enough teams to allow automatic bids for P5 conference champs is simply a reflection on the poor design of the current system and the incompetence of the folks who put it together.

Just look at the arguments you're making Red! In the world of SPORTS where championships are settled on the field of play you have a paragraph that looks like a lesson in subjective analogy. That is not how you create a playoff field. THE MORE automatic bids BASED ON PERFORMANCE, like conference championships, the BETTER!

And for the record, following the corrupt and flawed rules of how we pick the 4 playoff teams today Ohio State should NOT have been included. But that DOESN'T make the current system an effective way to determine a true champion. The sample size is simply to small.

The advantage that college football has is that the teams play alot of patsies to build up the hoopla of the big games. You are always going to have undefeated or one loss teams (rarely two loss teams) playing for the championship. Also, there is alot more variety in the college game.

The NFL is the best of the best and that will always make it the top dog but college football has carved out their own corner of the sports universe.

The talent disparity in college is off the charts. All are considered D1, but there is a huge gap between the power 5 conferences and the MAC level talent. Even within conferences there is a gap. There are scholarship kids at Indiana who never was even listed on Ohio States recruiting list. And you expect any kind of parity? At least in the NFL, you have the best of the best, there is a draft and salary caps so the talent SHOULD be somewhat dispersed. It's why you have upsets in pro football nearly every Sunday. In college, Ohio State will win 10 games a season, no matter what. I don't even have to look at next years schedule and I can say that. There's 4 cupcakes, and 6-7 weak conference games on the slate every single year.

Oh, and this is yet another reason why the NFL is much better. You win on the field. College is way too subjective and no one is really in charge. So you get a large fraction of the big boys - teams that people will watch. You try to get UCF in the mix, see what their TV ratings are.

They would probably be through the roof. My understanding is that a lot of folks tuned in during those great Boise State teams when they went up against P5 power schools in Bowl games. The fact is that David versus Goliath is always compelling and sells tickets. In fact I would go one step further and say that UCF versus either Bama or Georgia in the National Champion game WOULD SMASH TV viewing records for this game and greatly exceed the audience the current exercise in incest will generate.

NFL by far. They're pro's for a reason. College players are amateurs trying to become professionals. Like others have commented on here already, Only a handful of teams can win a championship and only 3 games mean something at the end of the year. Although it's ultra exciting to watch especially with the regional fan bases, the little guy doesn't have a chance UCF went 11-0 this season we'll never know how they would of done in the playoff. In the NFL,you're not even having that discussion. Everybody has a chance to make the playoffs, every game means something, games are decided on the field, and everybody plays everybody. With college football you just don't have that. A committee decides who makes the playoffs.

Last year the Rams were 4-12, Eagles 7-9, and the Vikings were 8-8. This year they're the top 3 seeds in the NFC. The Bills were 7-9 last year and in the playoffs this year. While Dallas(13-3 16',9-7 17'),Giants(12-4 16',3-13 17'), Seahawks(10-5-1 16',9-7 17'),Packers(10-6 16',7-9 17') along with the Raiders and Texans all were playoff teams last year, this year they're not. There will never be nor has there ever been that much turnover from top to bottom in college football.

In the "Power 5" conferences of college fball we will never see a California (Pac 12), a Kansas(Big 12) a Wake Forest(ACC) an Indiana(Big 10), or a Vanderbilt(SEC) flip to the top of their conference with a USC(P-12), Clemson,Miami or FSU(ACC), Oklahoma(B-12) or an OSU(B-10), or the mighty Alabama(SEC) or even make the playoffs.

There are 132 D1 football teams in college football only 16 teams have a chance realistically of making the playoffs or winning a championship that's not even 10%. In the NFL all 32 teams have a chance of doing both. The quality is not the same.

Last edited:
They would probably be through the roof. My understanding is that a lot of folks tuned in during those great Boise State teams when they went up against P5 power schools in Bowl games. The fact is that David versus Goliath is always compelling and sells tickets. In fact I would go one step further and say that UCF versus either Bama or Georgia in the National Champion game WOULD SMASH TV viewing records for this game and greatly exceed the audience the current exercise in incest will generate.

This is like the Witchta State/ Gonzaga/ VCU in the NCAA basketball tournament. People get excited the day or days they play, but they largely don't tune in and watch. In hoops, you want Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, because those fan bases tune into watch. They don't watch the mid majors.

Now here is my issue with UCF and football, yes, they are 13-0, and largely they don't control their schedule very much. I mean, what major conf team would want to play them in a non-conf game. So they are kind of stuck. Actually, one of their biggest games on the schedule this year was cancelled with Georgia Tech, due to the hurricane. So you look on their schedule and it's Maryland, Navy, Memphis twice, Cincy, East Carolina, Austin Peay, Maine, UConn. So you see, their 13 wins are pretty hollow when you compare it to the major conferences. I'm sure many power 5 schools could play that schedule and go unbeaten. The Auburn win is however, legit and should catapult them into another status. However, with Frost leaving, can they stay legit? Boise State had a nice 4-5 year run in football, and they are still good, but more at the next tier down level.

I think you'd be surprised that the ratings would not be as good as you think.

NFL by far. They're pro's for a reason. College players are amateurs trying to become professionals. Like others have commented on here already, Only a handful of teams can win a championship and only 3 games mean something at the end of the year. Although it's ultra exciting to watch especially with the regional fan bases, the little guy doesn't have a chance UCF went 11-0 this season we'll never know how they would of done in the playoff. In the NFL,you're not even having that discussion. Everybody has a chance to make the playoffs, every game means something, games are decided on the field, and everybody plays everybody. With college football you just don't have that. A committee decides who makes the playoffs.

Last year the Rams were 4-12, Eagles 7-9, and the Vikings were 8-8. This year they're the top 3 seeds in the NFC. The Bills were 7-9 last year and in the playoffs this year. While Dallas(13-3 16',9-7 17'),Giants(12-4 16',3-13 17'), Seahawks(10-5-1 16',9-7 17'),Packers(10-6 16',7-9 17') along with the Raiders and Texans all were playoff teams last year, this year they're not. There will never be nor has there ever been that much turnover from top to bottom in college football.

In the "Power 5" conferences of college fball we will never see a California (Pac 12), a Kansas(Big 12) a Wake Forest(ACC) an Indiana(Big 10), or a Vanderbilt(SEC) flip to the top of their conference with a USC(P-12), Clemson,Miami or FSU(ACC), Oklahoma(B-12) or an OSU(B-10), or the mighty Alabama(SEC) or even make the playoffs.

There are 132 D1 football teams in college football only 16 teams have a chance realistically of making the playoffs or winning a championship that's not even 10%. In the NFL all 32 teams have a chance of doing both. The quality is not the same.

I couldn't have written this post better myself!

Being pro or "best of the best" doesn't make the NFL inherently more entertaining. In fact, I would say it's increasingly equal parts frustrating and entertaining because of inconsistencies with the league office pertaining to suspensions, investigations, refereeing, etc. On top of it, college brings a wide variety of football styles while the differences between NFL schemes come down to the minute differences in personnel and so aren't all that different really. In the NFL, which teams wins a game is mostly a matter of which team is better coached. In college, it can simply be that a run-heavy offense is meeting an elite run-defense; match ups matter more in college.