Ironic thing about Richmond Heights !

Impalaman

About 15 years ago or so, one of the Cleveland TV stations did a report on the 6PM sports about the 8th grade Richmond Heights team with their 2 6'6" stars. The next year the one kid is at Bennedictine and the other is at VASJ. You had to feel sorry for the school at that point.
Also concerning the 2 Akron schools that won titles this weekend. It is well known that Lebron and friends decided to all go to same high school before their freshman year. You have to think if they didn't decide to go to SVSM, that Hoban and Buchtel would have been the next most likely choices.

About 15 years ago or so, one of the Cleveland TV stations did a report on the 6PM sports about the 8th grade Richmond Heights team with their 2 6'6" stars. The next year the one kid is at Bennedictine and the other is at VASJ. You had to feel sorry for the school at that point.
Also concerning the 2 Akron schools that won titles this weekend. It is well known that Lebron and friends decided to all go to same high school before their freshman year. You have to think if they didn't decide to go to SVSM, that Hoban and Buchtel would have been the next most likely choices.
Hard decision - stay at Heights at the time or get a better education and play for much better basketball programs.

If you are talking about where LeBron and the others would have gone if not to STVM, then it's pretty clear they would have gone to Buchtel. No one else was really in the picture.

This is why I laugh about all the talk about "LeBron and his AAU team". At that time, they were a group of friends who grew up together, went to school together and played basketball together. Isn't that what all these posters on here harken back to as "the way things should be"!?! It just so happened that one of them happened to be one of the best basketball players of all time. They were going to go to high school together and wherever they went, they were going to win state titles. It was going to be either Buchtel or STVM. For the Irish (and also for LeBron, I think) it certainly worked out better that he went to STVM. As an independent not tied to a City Series schedule, STVM had a lot more flexibility in its schedule than Buchtel did at the time.

This is why I laugh about all the talk about "LeBron and his AAU team". At that time, they were a group of friends who grew up together, went to school together and played basketball together. Isn't that what all these posters on here harken back to as "the way things should be"!?! It just so happened that one of them happened to be one of the best basketball players of all time. They were going to go to high school together and wherever they went, they were going to win state titles. It was going to be either Buchtel or STVM. For the Irish (and also for LeBron, I think) it certainly worked out better that he went to STVM. As an independent not tied to a City Series schedule, STVM had a lot more flexibility in its schedule than Buchtel did at the time.
Those kids played youth all the way through high school together. That core were all best friends and are to this day. SVSM was not an AAU team and I'm pretty sure that team did not have a transfer on the squad in their 4 year run.

Just for fun who was the kid that ended up going to Oak Hill from Buchtel? I remember people saying that if he would of stayed Buchtel was a no brainer to win state that year. Do you think that Buchtel team with him on it could have beaten the Lebron team at St. V's. Not a big basketball guy but I remember that kid was supposed to be a beast with a very good supporting cast. Just curious to the Akron fans opinions.

Just for fun who was the kid that ended up going to Oak Hill from Buchtel? I remember people saying that if he would of stayed Buchtel was a no brainer to win state that year. Do you think that Buchtel team with him on it could have beaten the Lebron team at St. V's. Not a big basketball guy but I remember that kid was supposed to be a beast with a very good supporting cast. Just curious to the Akron fans opinions.
The player that transferred to Oak Hill is named Chris Livingston and he is a Freshman at Kentucky right now. As for which team would have been better, I'll leave that to the Yappi experts.

Those kids played youth all the way through high school together. That core were all best friends and are to this day. SVSM was not an AAU team and I'm pretty sure that team did not have a transfer on the squad in their 4 year run.
Yeah they did. Travis and McGhee were transfers. I

Yeah they did. Travis and McGhee were transfers. I

No he was not a transfer. Willie McGee entered STVM as a freshman when LeBron, Dru and Sian did. He was one of the original four.
ED12F9CA-7F0E-4CA3-A51C-925CFF4D7F50.jpeg

Last edited:
Not that it matters but one player transferred from Avon Lake to SVSM. Corey something lol…

And here is where rural D4 school supporters get a bit bristled at such options. Growing up in or near urban centers provides these kids with choices as to where to attend school. In the rural setting I grew up in it was nothing like that. As a farm kid, we were not moving districts to play sports. Some attended private schools, but not for athletics and in fact many times private school tuition required them to forego athletics and work.

So I guess I'm glad they had options, but that is not typical of small school experiences around the area where I live.

and if they had all decided to go to Buchtel, we are guaranteed no complaints about team building from the ASVSM or any other crowd? ;)

They'd have had access to the same brain and life building education, maybe better being with real representatives of the world instead of a narrowly focused selected, and they still would have won states. LaBron would have had the same professional career, as many have had coming out of even very troubled inner city schools, which Buchtel isn't...

It comes off a whole lot better, certainly when people stop making with "but it's different here" and just say, "we got lucky." As someone who identifies as Christian, it seems to me even the higher road to take from those with "St" in their school name. If the system allows it, it's fair game. Roll with it and realize, what applies to your fave, applies to Richmond Hts, right? 🤷

Last edited:
And here is where rural D4 school supporters get a bit bristled at such options. Growing up in or near urban centers provides these kids with choices as to where to attend school. In the rural setting I grew up in it was nothing like that. As a farm kid, we were not moving districts to play sports. Some attended private schools, but not for athletics and in fact many times private school tuition required them to forego athletics and work.

So I guess I'm glad they had options, but that is not typical of small school experiences around the area where I live.
Then start you own High School Athletic Association where the only schools in it exist in complete isolation from other high schools and any kid that moves for any reason isn't allowed to participate in sports. This is what freedom in the US looks like.

Then start you own High School Athletic Association where the only schools in it exist in complete isolation from other high schools and any kid that moves for any reason isn't allowed to participate in sports. This is what freedom in the US looks like.
So you have experience doing this yourself?

What if the school board turns my request for isolation down? Are they allowed to deprive me of my freedom in America?

I would have loved to have seen that Moeller basketball team from 2002 play Saint V. Moeller had 3 or 4 guys that went on to play Division 1 basketball from that team. Brookhaven should have beat ASVSM and choked while Moeller handled Brookhaven in the D1 title game.