Interesting Coach Quote - Too Much Practice?

If you are SMART with the systems you install on both sides of the ball, it doesn't matter how different your opponent is. Again as it has been said, practice smarter, not longer.

Honestly that is usually on the parents or player. Now if it is the coach and you don't like it then speak up as a tuition or taxpayer - you hire them.

Many coaches encourage participation in other in-season sports. Ours does. That is good (imo). Other coaches do demand and even threaten "their" players to dedicate themselves to one. That is not good.
Agree, football is the least "year round" sport out there. No one is playing games outside the season, unlike all the other sports.

I’m of those camp days should be used for team building activities such as competitions in other sports / activities. There is a lot more to the game and then just exes and ohs

15-16 year olds start losing concentration at about 30-35 minutes. There is a real reason why most hs classes run about 40-45 minutes.

Football does require a lot of time and practice but many coaches are taking this to the next level. You do not need to have 8 hr practices to be a good team. In fact those super long practices will equate to kids that hate the coaches and start to hate the sport. Practice smarter not harder.
Our HS usually doesn't use their full allotment of two a days and the junior high doestn usually start the first day allowable and started this yr on Monday because as the coach said they have plenty of practices before the first scrimmage

How many on here honestly were excited about summertime camps and 2-a-days when they played? Most of my team was not excited.
The law of diminishing returns also applies here.
I am not saying eliminate both camps & 2-a-days, but let the kids be kids and actually have decent summer break. After graduation, they can be stressed out about mandatory stuff, deadlines and having somebody bark orders at them.

My estimation is that most teams use way more than 10 camp days already. Until the governing body begins to clamp down on illegal football days, teams will do them as much as they can. If they do not, they will not be able to compete. I would bet most coaches if surveyed would love to have June and some of July off. If they took it, they would not be coaching very long here in Ohio.

For schools like Coldwater training year round is impossible for the best Athletes. Most of the best Athletes are 3 Sport players. Football, Basketball, and Baseball. In fact every Varsity baseball starter for the Summer Acme league is most likely to start on Offense or Defense in Football. And of those starters on the Varsity Baseball and Football team the Top 7-8 players on the Basketball team come from the same group of kids. The coaches in Coldwater all "get it". They understand the demands that they are under and they work very hard together to make it work. I'm absolutely positive any time the kids get a day off they are thrilled. A parent told me that at one time this summer those same kids participated in a 48 hour timeframe this: Basketball at Ohio Northern - 6 games. Baseball - 3 games. A doubleheader and a single game and 2 Football workouts. All within a 2 day window. Training for 1 sport is practically unheard of in Coldwater.

For schools like Coldwater training year round is impossible for the best Athletes. Most of the best Athletes are 3 Sport players. Football, Basketball, and Baseball. In fact every Varsity baseball starter for the Summer Acme league is most likely to start on Offense or Defense in Football. And of those starters on the Varsity Baseball and Football team the Top 7-8 players on the Basketball team come from the same group of kids. The coaches in Coldwater all "get it". They understand the demands that they are under and they work very hard together to make it work. I'm absolutely positive any time the kids get a day off they are thrilled. A parent told me that at one time this summer those same kids participated in a 48 hour timeframe this: Basketball at Ohio Northern - 6 games. Baseball - 3 games. A doubleheader and a single game and 2 Football workouts. All within a 2 day window. Training for 1 sport is practically unheard of in Coldwater.
This era of working together started with Coach Reed, God rest his soul, and has grown from there. Coach would encourage football players, even QB, to miss 7 on 7 s for acme tournament and have a pitcher just be a spotter at lifting on days of a tourny game he was pitching . This only helps all the programs and doesn't force kids to quit one of them. I know some years they do not use their full allotment of 2 a days.