Indiana Hoosiers

If you think winning the Big Ten Title / making the Sweet 16 is as good as an Indiana basketball team can do, it makes sense you liked Tom Crean. I'd also argue there is a big difference between "kiss butts" and treating an individual like crap. Perfect example is Colin Hartman. Crean was forcing him off of the team next year because of his standard oversign bs. You think actions like that make endear him to the coaching community in the state of Indiana?

As for Knight, I think Myles Brand would disagree with you that "no one was powerful enough to get rid of him." Knight's actions over the past few years shows he gives zero s about the Indiana fan base. I hope they never name a building after him, give him a statue, etc.

Did not know that about Hartman, and that's too bad. I was a little surprised he did decide to come back. I think that was one loss last season that was very underestimated. As for Knight, unfortunately I think you may be correct. He's simply not backed off his disdain for the university, and I think people are growing weary of it. It reminds me of the first 15 years of Pete Rose's ban from baseball where he staunchly denied ever betting on baseball, until he saw MLB wasn't going to budge and I think he is even surprised to this day he's not in the hall. Many of Knight's supporters are dying off year after year. Anyone under the age of 40 probably really doesn't care anymore. Just a footnote, Brand was only able to fire him when the program was struggling and the extra shenanigans warranted it. Please don't tell me if Knight wins an NCAA title in 1998 that he gets canned.

I think in time, people will realize Tom Crean was one of the all time greats at IU.

Considering he has the 3rd most wins in school history, I think you are correct, even if you don't believe it. Only Knight and Branch McCracken have more wins. McCracken coached at IU for 25 years and won 4 big ten titles. Crean won 2 in 9 years, and considering he started from scratch, pretty nice accomplishment.

Considering he has the 3rd most wins in school history, I think you are correct, even if you don't believe it. Only Knight and Branch McCracken have more wins. McCracken coached at IU for 25 years and won 4 big ten titles. Crean won 2 in 9 years, and considering he started from scratch, pretty nice accomplishment.

That's really not that impressive when you actually look at the context.

IU coaches who coached IU more years than Tom Crean (9):
Everett Dean (14)
Branch McCracken (27)
Bob Knight (29)

IU coaches who coached more IU games than Tom Crean (301):
Branch McCracken (538)
Bob Knight (901)

He has coached the 3rd most games in IU history. When Everett Dean coached, IU averaged about 18 games a year. When Tom Crean coached, IU averaged about 33.5 games a year. A better measure would be winning percentage which Crean comes in at 7th, only beating Lou Watson and a few interm coaches.