Ignatius Basketball

Good for Tony for calling out Joyce and Ignatius. I'm not one to cry "recruiting" all of the time, but this seems pretty fishy to me. How much of this is Cam's immaturity and inexperience as a coach? How much has to do with the roots of where he comes from (SVSM)? I can't imagine Flannery going to multiple Solon/Avon/Mentor MS games.

Canton McKinley plays Iggy tomorrow night.It should be a good game.

McKinley had to play a undefeated team tonight.

Cats get a nice win over McKinley, 75-53, after being down at halftime. The game got fairly heated at times and the McKinley HC was ejected early in the second half.

Toppin and Raynor both had great games for the Cats. This marked Jon Effertz' first game back from injury, but he seemed rusty. Hopefully he gets his legs back and provides another good scoring option. This team needs more outside shooting and someone besides Toppin who can handle the ball and create.

Good for Tony for calling out Joyce and Ignatius. I'm not one to cry "recruiting" all of the time, but this seems pretty fishy to me. How much of this is Cam's immaturity and inexperience as a coach? How much has to do with the roots of where he comes from (SVSM)? I can't imagine Flannery going to multiple Solon/Avon/Mentor MS games.

Yeh, this is the overwhelming consensus in the NE Ohio coaching community. Definitely an appropriate (and funny) tweet

Referencing the conversation above on Solon and the Ignatius coach. I am told that the Ignatius coach and his new assistants have been attending grade school games at Solon and ewlsewhere - which is fine on its face -- but have been openly "engaging" students and their parents. They were kindly advised this was not appropriate through proper channels. It has continued. Maybe that is the way they do things in Akron/SVSM and how they manage every year to have some of the area's top players in a relatively small school. Maybe this is the new Ignatius strategy. But this is not college and there are specific OHSAA rules that Ignatius has a track record of homoring. The times they are a 'changing.

Referencing the conversation above on Solon and the Ignatius coach. I am told that the Ignatius coach and his new assistants have been attending grade school games at Solon and ewlsewhere - which is fine on its face -- but have been openly "engaging" students and their parents. They were kindly advised this was not appropriate through proper channels. It has continued. Maybe that is the way they do things in Akron/SVSM and how they manage every year to have some of the area's top players in a relatively small school. Maybe this is the new Ignatius strategy. But this is not college and there are specific OHSAA rules that Ignatius has a track record of homoring. The times they are a 'changing.
Yeah - these guys have it all wrong. Gotta do all that stuff behind the scenes like all of the other schools right? ha. If they are actually engaging with students and parents during and after games this is an ohsaa violation.

I guess 1600 enrollment is not enough to scrap together a competitive Squad?

Ignatius played very well the other night vs McKinley, the got multiple great outings from Raynor, Hanna, Toppin, Nunez, Spear, etc the previous 4 games they were getting one or maybe two good outings. McKinley looks like they ran out of gas in the 2nd half maybe playing a rival the night before not sure, If Toppin plays like he did they will have a really good team if he plays like he did the first 4 games they could be 500 or better. He is one of the more talented kids in the area he needs to play like it game in and game out. They have a good test this weekend vs Cleveland Heights. Effertz looked rusty which is understandable being his first game back, I don't trust him playing the point guard position when we play teams that put guard pressure like St V or St. Eds will put on him he seems like an average ball handler rather they keep him at the 2 where he is a very good shooter.

When it comes to STVM you have no idea what you are talking about. Honestly, with all the eyes that are on the STVM program, do you think there is any chance that this goes on without it being reported!?! If Dru Joyce or any of his assistants were approaching kids in this fashion, there would be videotapes on their way to OHSAA faster than you could blink.

Last edited:
I will be surprised if Ignatius keeps it close at SVSM today. Not enough ball handlers or athleticism to hang with the Irish this year.

Ignatius kept it close but St V jumped out to a big lead in the 1st qtr and Iggy battled back to cut it down in the 2nd. Coach Cam is having a tough time making adjustments and playing the right guys. He changed up his starting line up yesterday and it really cost him the game, St V came out and destroyed Iggy's starting 5, Iggy then came back in the 2nd qtr with the bench to cut it to 5, then Coach Cam starts the exact same 5 the 2nd half and St V goes from 5 up to 16 up, I really don't understand what is he is thinking. He doesn't have a lot of experience on his bench and it is starting to show. The Effertz kid struggled again because of ball pressure he should not be handling the ball they were all over him and he had at least 5 turnovers. That is on coaching and they should not put him into that situation, I don't see this team playing any zone just straight man to man, If Coach Becker was there this team would be 5-2 maybe 6-1, because he makes adjustments might be a long year for Iggy. The 3 games in Florida they could win 2 but then they come home and play Ed's which looks like a loss and then still have some quality teams left. This team is not athletic and has one ball handler I agree with Wildcats1886, Some kids should be playing more and some should not be playing at all. This team is nowhere as good as last year's team.

At some point Coach Joyce - and St. Ignatius -- should focus on the kids and coaching and the x's and the o's, and competing. We know is he young, inexperienced, enthusiastic, knows LeBron and that his father is the Coach of SVSM. Enough already with the videos and twitter and articles heralding this new coach - who has coached a total of 6 or 7 games. It is unclear if he will be succesful or not in his job. It will take some time. I am embarassed for the teachers and volunteer coaches and others who have been at the school for decades and have worked in relative obscurity. Let's let him do his job, support him, hold him to a high standard and allow him to earn the respect of the teachers, the parents and the community (alums) that support the school. HS basketball is about the student- athletes - not about the celebrity coach it seems Igantius is trying to create. Glad he had a chance to coach against his father -great story - good for him and his family. Not sure this is a high priority for the student -athletes or parents who foot the bill.

Cats lose 60-72 to Schoolhouse Prep of Miami FL (now 7-4) in the Miami Belen Jesuit tournament. Schoolhouse is ranked #1 in Florida class 2A.
Not a good game for the Cats as they played a rushed, frenetic tempo against a much more athletic team. Cats had turnovers and a lot of fouls with Schoolhouse converting >90% (29 of 32) of their free throws. Coach Joyce had a new starting line-up again. Only Raynor was really effective with 22 points. Cats have to get out of the habit of falling behind by double digits out of the starting gate.

Next up tomorrow: Miami FL Belen Jesuit (8-1).

Last edited:
Bluegold don't know if you watched the game but Raynor was not effective probably had 9 turnovers and had at least 8 points in garbage time, he is there best player and he did not play well at all along with the rest of the team. Once again Coach Cam had a different starting 5 no idea what he is looking for but whatever it is it has not worked. Raynor and Toppin are there 2 best players and if they don't play well they will struggle vs good teams. Toppin played well vs Canton and other than that he has been average, he is way to talented to be playing average.

The team is really struggling against athletic teams that pressure the ball in the backcourt. Playing Blake and Toppin together is the best solution, but they can only play so many minutes. And they are giving up a lot of size on defense to taller guards. Turnovers and rebounding are killing this team - they’ve been getting destroyed on the offensive glass. The offensive numbers have been rough, but they have been generating decent looks so I’m somewhat hopeful that will turn around, although some of it may just be a limitation of shooting ability.

Bluegold don't know if you watched the game but Raynor was not effective probably had 9 turnovers and had at least 8 points in garbage time, he is there best player and he did not play well at all along with the rest of the team. Once again Coach Cam had a different starting 5 no idea what he is looking for but whatever it is it has not worked. Raynor and Toppin are there 2 best players and if they don't play well they will struggle vs good teams. Toppin played well vs Canton and other than that he has been average, he is way to talented to be playing average.

I was thinking "effective" in terms of offensive scoring - he was the only offense threat yesterday. I agree though that he was ineffective when considering the turnovers that resulted in Schoolhouse points. It appears that coach Cam is experimenting with different combinations, but the Cats don't have the athleticism for any combination to work vs these athletic teams. They have to find some way to control the tempo and the pace of yesterday is not the way.

Agree with Wildcat1886 that they have gotten some decent looks in many of the games (especially from the corners), but the team's shooting ability is limited. Griffin Hanna at least hit a couple 3's yesterday, but both he and Nunez are not yet consistent. Toppin does not look for an outside shot. Effertz is the only real outside shotmaker on the team and he really struggled vs the athleticism of SVSM and Schoolhouse. He got into a good rhythm for awhile vs Heights, which got the Cats back into that game somewhat, but then the Tigers put special defensive attention on him and that was the end.

This season is going to be a real challenge

Friday night:
Ignatius 69 (now 5-4)
Miami FL Belen Jesuit 54 (now 9-2)

Miami FL Schoolhouse Prep 63
Toledo St. John Jesuit 52 (now 4-3)

For the Cats, Griffin Hanna scored 20 pts, including 6 of 6 from 3 pt range and 7 of 8 overall. Hope he has found his shooting stroke.
Jon Effertz's shooting confidence returned as he scored 19, including 5 of 5 from 3 pt range in the 2nd half. Hope he can build off this game.

Belen Jesuit had some good outside shooters, but the Wolverines are not at the skill level of the Cats's last 4 opponents.

Outside shooting was much improved this game. Effertz and Hanna looked good. Yontek has been a welcome addition to the lineup bringing a little more size and energy inside. This team is still turning the ball over way too much and will struggle against longer / more athletic teams. I did like that Toppin and Blake played more together tonight - that gives the Cats two reliable ball handlers with the quickness to beat defenders off the dribble.

With being 6-4 and with the schedule being left I see this team ending in 12-10 that's if Cam Joyce continues his erratic line ups etc. If he settles his rotation and plays who should play maybe only going 8 deep they can end up 13-9 or 14-8. This team is not athletic enough to compete with the elite teams in the area but Coach Cam playing 11 deep is not realistic, this team is not 11 deep. This weekend should be interesting against 2 very good teams.

With being 6-4 and with the schedule being left I see this team ending in 12-10 that's if Cam Joyce continues his erratic line ups etc. If he settles his rotation and plays who should play maybe only going 8 deep they can end up 13-9 or 14-8. This team is not athletic enough to compete with the elite teams in the area but Coach Cam playing 11 deep is not realistic, this team is not 11 deep. This weekend should be interesting against 2 very good teams.

Easily be a 2-loss weekend for the Cats

Ed's by double digits. This is the year for Blanton, Foster and Huffman. They've been building for this year since they were freshmen. After this season, the talent level between the 2 schools becomes more balanced. Coach Flannery and Mentor's coach Krizancic are the 2 best HS coaches in the area = always worth extra points. Coach Cam is going to have to come up the learning curve quickly.

The Harding Raiders are 8-4, but 6-1 at home (only loss at home is to St. Ed's by 6). They struggle on the road with losses to Walsh Jesuit, Chaney and Ursuline. The game vs the Cats is at home for Harding. The Raider's should prevail considering their home record and that Ignatius will be coming off an emotional game vs the Eagles the night before

The balance in the coming years will grow larger between the two schools. The three you mentioned are fine players but the quality coming will be at least the same if not better. IMO

This was a tight game down to the end. Both teams struggled offensively. The Cats missed a few bunnies that I’m sure they wish they could have back (the Eagles missed one egregious layup as well).

Huffman controlled the game, the Cats had no answer for him. Chase Toppin had a nice game for Ignatius. Flannery’s interior defense completely shut down Raynor - they played him physically and double teamed every time he caught the ball in the post. Forced quite a few turnovers.

Much tighter game than I expected. Physical, defensive game.

Cats played like they have most of the season against good teams - turnovers and again inconsistent in their outside shooting. Griffin Hanna hit a couple in a row then cooled off. Nunez hit a couple of 3s. Effertz had a difficult game, but he's a sophomore perhaps trying to do too much.The Eagles' defensive scheme with double teams shut down Raynor, who looked like he was trying to force it too much. The Cats have to hit their 3s to loosen up the inside for him. Toppin had a nice game and so did Yontek (that makes 4 games in a row).

Last edited:
With almost 4 minutes left and an Ed’s 5 pt lead Joyce allowed Ed’s to kill the clock with a stall spread without fouling. Seemed like it took him forever to pull his D out to engage/foul to stop th3 clock. Very poor game coaching there. It was obvious to anyone there that he is in over his head against the likes of Flannery.