if a game had to be stopped due to a broken backboard, what happens?

The game will be suspended.... When/if it resumes is up to the two schools or the league.

If it is resumed, it will be resumed at the point of interruption.
If it is not resumed, the team ahead at the point of interruption will be declared the winner.
If the contest is tied at the point of interruption and it is not resumed, it will be considered a "no contest".

finish it the next week?
go to the practice gym?
forfeit?
end game at that point?

this is a new one
I remember a game back in 1978, before the breakaway rims) , a kid hung on the rim and a glass shower resulted. The school happened to have a spare backboard and as I recall after about an hour they had the new one in place and play resumed. First thing that happened was the shooting of technical shots by the non offending team.

The game will be suspended.... When/if it resumes is up to the two schools or the league.

If it is resumed, it will be resumed at the point of interruption.
If it is not resumed, the team ahead at the point of interruption will be declared the winner.
If the contest is tied at the point of interruption and it is not resumed, it will be considered a "no contest".

Jerry Snodgrass says no contest if play is not resumed.

Brandon Hunter broke Ohio U’s backboard. They brought out a new one. I’m surprised a school in Ohio still has those junk backboards

Is it because they can't dunk or have a spare backboard in storage? hahah. They will resume soon with 3:25 left in OT.
Because only poor schools have those junk backboards. White leagues have the nice ones. I’m pretty sure Joe Burrow broke someone’s backboard in high school

You can tell which backboards are susceptible to breaking. If the rim is bolted to the glass, the glass absorbs all of the pressure of a dunk, even if the rim is breakaway. If you see a pole or beam extending directly behind the rim on the opposite side of the glass, that's where the rim is bolted and there is actually a hole in the glass to allow that connection. In these, the glass should not absorb any pressure. They did a Sports Science episode on this where they had Amare Stoudemire dunk like 100 times on the latter type as hard as he could and the backboard stayed intact.

Any contest can be ended early if both teams and the officials agree

happens in football all the time with weather delays
Okay? What's your point?

You said if play was not resumed, the team in the lead would be declared the winner. Snodgrass said it would be a no contest.

Backboard broke in a Miamisburg game a few years ago. Game was finished in the Aux gym with no crowd.
Actually there was a mad dash of fans to the auxiliary gym where we finished the game that night. Was like 5-6 minutes left in the game if I remember correctly with Miamisburg beating Lebanon by about 16.

Okay? What's your point?

You said if play was not resumed, the team in the lead would be declared the winner. Snodgrass said it would be a no contest.

They played maybe 5 seconds without one team ever having possession. It would be insane for them to declare a team a winner based on that.

Okay? What's your point?

You said if play was not resumed, the team in the lead would be declared the winner.
Snodgrass said it would be a no

In context.....

if both teams mutually agree to end a game early, the team ahead is declared the winner.

if both teams cannot agree or they cannot match open dates to complete a suspended game..... that game is a no contest.