Idea on season

olivia jo

Why can't they run wrestling from Aug .to Nov. since we are affected more than any other sport? I know that's football season but people would have to choose and it would allow us a chance to get the season in. There is a real possibility that no wrestling this winter and that would mean 2 years without state. Just looking for solutions.

wrestling helps football more than any other sport in fact college football coaches covet athletes that have a wrestling background so this would be a no go!

wrestling helps football more than any other sport in fact college football coaches covet athletes that have a wrestling background so this would be a no go!

I'm not understanding why this would make it a "no go" if it were the only reason. Just because wrestling helps football (it helps pretty much every other sport as well), doesn't mean that it couldn't run at the same time.

There are also plenty of wrestlers that play soccer, run XC, or play volleyball.

The idea that it couldn't happen just because it conflicts with football makes no sense to me at all - there are plenty of reasons that it won't happen and conflicting with football is just one of those many reasons.

OHSAA isn't going to give special treatment to wrestling. And I think the more time until the sport's season, the more likely it is to occur (wrestling is more likely to happen than football). Moving it to next spring would make more sense if the idea is to ensure a season.

I'm not understanding why this would make it a "no go" if it were the only reason. Just because wrestling helps football (it helps pretty much every other sport as well), doesn't mean that it couldn't run at the same time.

I wouldn't have a team then, of my 19 wrestlers last year, 14 were football players, including most of my best wrestlers and I could only see 1 of them wrestling over football. Also add in 2 of them are soccer players, so yeah pretty much no team.

Not sure where the idea of having wrestling from Aug-Nov came from but that makes zero sense. People need to stop worrying about this and let things play out. Like I tell my kids worry about what you can control and none of us can control what OHSAA and others decide to do.

I wouldn't have a team then, of my 19 wrestlers last year, 14 were football players, including most of my best wrestlers and I could only see 1 of them wrestling over football. Also add in 2 of them are soccer players, so yeah pretty much no team.

Not sure where the idea of having wrestling from Aug-Nov came from but that makes zero sense. People need to stop worrying about this and let things play out. Like I tell my kids worry about what you can control and none of us can control what OHSAA and others decide to do.

Sure Coach, I wasn't disputing the idea that having it at the same time as football is a bad idea. It is a horrible idea. I was just disputing the idea that having it at the same time as football would be the sole reason. I'm sure there would be plenty of schools in a same/similar situation as you would be, while there are also those who would have a bigger impact because of other reasons than a conflict with football. At my son's school, there are some that are football players too, but not the majority (and even fewer that are varsity) and most of those football players would likely choose wrestling over football. My post was just pointing out the fact that football wouldn't be the only reason or deciding reason in all cases.

I agree that it makes zero sense, which was pretty much the point of the rest of my post. Definitely agree with the last two sentences - not sure what brought this idea on.

I was just making a suggestion. For some reason every post I put up you counter my claims when I post that state would be canceled you disputed me, when I said about 100,00 people dying you also disputed it, I am looking for the best answers to being able to wrestle. By the way, it doesn't say much about your program if nobody would choose wrestling over football.

Or we come to terms with the reality of this situation and stop punishing children now that there is significant data out there.

There have been 0 deaths in ohio of any child 0-19

The have been 5 deaths in the 20-29 range.

70 percent of all deaths are directly linked to long term care facilities.

The CDC just announced that transmission via surfaces is not likely.

Now, consider the hospitalization rate.

54 of the hospitalizations out of 5295 cases or about 1 percent are 0-19 ages.

With all of that being said. The virus is dangerous and should be treated as such. Proper hygiene and protocols should be addressed. But the irrational fear is absurd.

My main concern would be for the coaches and referees, coaches, and fans.

Why can't they run wrestling from Aug .to Nov. since we are affected more than any other sport? I know that's football season but people would have to choose and it would allow us a chance to get the season in. There is a real possibility that no wrestling this winter and that would mean 2 years without state. Just looking for solutions.
Just trying to understand your thoughts here. Why would we need to move when the sport competes in the first place? What problem are you looking to find "solutions" for?

I am looking big picture, every report says second wave winter, wrestling has the highest rate of contact, I can't go to dinner without being 6 ft away from someone now. Wrestling already being at a disadvantage with upcoming budget cuts college and high schools why not start early to guarantee a season, youth wrestling will suffer because tournaments will struggle to get insurance and the fear of the virus will limit people. The numbers, in general, are down and everyone will have their diehard wrestlers but if they can't compete because of the lack of venues what does that leave us .read the reports for school in the fall they are floating them out to see the response , look up South Korea schooling with the restrictions it is crazy. Coach Hoon I am just trying to be realistic and find better solutions, this could set wrestling back years.

I am looking big picture, every report says second wave winter, wrestling has the highest rate of contact, I can't go to dinner without being 6 ft away from someone now.....Coach Hoon I am just trying to be realistic and find better solutions, this could set wrestling back years.
Got it, so to answer my question, you are looking to "beat the 2nd wave" and I can appreciate that. The problem is the overall logistics. My first thought goes to all of the coaches I know that coach both sports. There is your first problem and probably your biggest as several wrestling coaches across the state coach football as well because they are a smaller school and no one else can do it.
As I coach, I am dreading what may happen to ALL sports this coming year as I do not see us returning to the classroom at this current moment. Our country/state will need to come to grips with what this virus is first, and focus on educating our children, then we can worry about the "extras" in life, like sports.

Got it, so to answer my question, you are looking to "beat the 2nd wave" and I can appreciate that. The problem is the overall logistics. My first thought goes to all of the coaches I know that coach both sports. There is your first problem and probably your biggest as several wrestling coaches across the state coach football as well because they are a smaller school and no one else can do it.
As I coach, I am dreading what may happen to ALL sports this coming year as I do not see us returning to the classroom at this current moment. Our country/state will need to come to grips with what this virus is first, and focus on educating our children, then we can worry about the "extras" in life, like sports.
The last sentence should be a billboard all over the country!!

There is also the chance that we’re in the second wave now and the first one was during the 3-5 months we know it was being spread around the US completely unmonitored. Myself along with some wrestlers had a super funky dry cough in February for weeks. And one of the middle schools near me had rampent sickness absences around December/January to the point where some parents were starting to ask if the school should be closed for a while.

I expect wrestling to happen as normal but would love to see it permanently moved to season competition starting in January and ending mid- late Aptil. By then we should be able to test all athletes and add temperature checks to the weigh in process.

I expect wrestling to happen as normal but would love to see it permanently moved to season competition starting in January and ending mid- late Aptil. By then we should be able to test all athletes and add temperature checks to the weigh in process.

No, no, no!! Any temperature checks (and any other mandated health related checks) should be done BEFORE the athletes leave their home school. If they can't pass the checks (administered by the AD or some other school official, not a coach), they should not even board the bus to travel.
What sense does it make for a potentially sick athlete to travel with team mates to the competition site? Then get in line with other competitors?
This should NEVER be part of the weigh in process (which might change dramatically anyway).

No, no, no!! Any temperature checks (and any other mandated health related checks) should be done BEFORE the athletes leave their home school. If they can't pass the checks (administered by the AD or some other school official, not a coach), they should not even board the bus to travel.
What sense does it make for a potentially sick athlete to travel with team mates to the competition site? Then get in line with other competitors?
This should NEVER be part of the weigh in process (which might change dramatically anyway).
I agree with the thought, but coaches try to get obvious ring worm and herpes past the officials so they’d definitely bring a kid with a slight fever. I wouldn’t count on 99% of ADs or other school employees to stop it either. Especially when all these cheapo touchless temperature scanners people are using aren’t even close to being accurate. So many people are getting readings of like 91 degrees, meaning they apparently died like 10 minutes ago.

I agree with the thought, but coaches try to get obvious ring worm and herpes past the officials so they’d definitely bring a kid with a slight fever. I wouldn’t count on 99% of ADs or other school employees to stop it either. Especially when all these cheapo touchless temperature scanners people are using aren’t even close to being accurate. So many people are getting readings of like 91 degrees, meaning they apparently died like 10 minutes ago.
I agree almost completely with what you write but, what are the options? I know of coaches who try to get skin issue by officials but in that case there is (or better be) documentation.
If the temperature scanners are not accurate they won't be any more accurate because an official saw the read out. As a side question, if they are not accurate (and I am not doubting that statement), why bother with checking temperature?
I am simply saying that a temperature check (or any health check) when the wrestler is at the competition site is a complete waste of time. If he/she is sick, now the coach potentially has a full team of sick kids. Would that be worth his risk? Probably to some but I would hope that most coaches realize the ramifications. I am pretty sure their AD does.

Guys don't be so literal. It's easy to cut ideas down. I was just with my nephew who has a doctorate in industrial hygiene and they are temperature checking every employee everyday in the parking lot of the manufacturer he works for with several hundred under one roof. I agree checking at school makes sense. In fact I bet they will have to check each student everyday before they enter the school. As far as not trusting coaches and ads that's sill. I'd let them weigh their kids in site unseen at their school on the honor system. Most won't cheat and a pound won't make any difference. You guys must be very jaded. I don't post here for validation but how about some ideas on making wrestling happen while maintaining safety. Thoughts?

"Don't be so literal"? How else should it be taken?
My idea is for being able to wrestle while (hopefully) maintaining safety.
I could go on about "honor" but that is a completely different issue.

Honestly, it's about getting to wrestle, if it means blood work, temp taking every day or some other crazy stuff for the kids to be safe and wrestle I am all for it. The large budget cuts are coming it's almost like a two-headed monster.

Can't speak for Ohio but roughly 1/3rd of the wrestling coaches in South Carolina coach football. In some cases both the HWC and the asst. HWC are on the football staff. I have no idea how often that occurs in Ohio but you'd be asking those coaches and programs to make some difficult decisions.

In my school's conference alone four of the five school's HWC are on the varsity football staff.

Add nauseam

How many youngsters 12 - 18 have died from Covid? 3500 die every year in cars. +/- How many dreams were crushed? It's safe for youngsters to play sports period ! I have given you the facts. The question is how do the at risk category take precautions.

I don't see wrestling moving to fall or spring.
Wrestling is an indoor sport, same as basketball, swimming, bowling and hockey. That's why they're in the winter.
I could see the possibility of a later start in winter, but having one sport run longer into another season that way would set a precedent that I don't think the OHSAA would embrace.

We did senior clean out last week at my school. All staff who volunteered to help had to be scanned in with one of those head temperature devices. Everyone was scoring under a 95 (mine was 94.3) because the assistant principal conducting the temp checks was doing so right under one of the AC vents.

My main concern would be for the coaches and referees, coaches, and fans.
Therein lies the problem. Could you have Invitationals without legal guardians or spectators in attendance? I thought of being in the dome at Ironman during this pandemic, is frightening.

I think you could have events without legal guardians. Coached at a school that didn't have a lot of parent support. But another big problem is injuries. We got lucky and never had anyone on our team taken by ambulance during my coaching career. But I sure as heck wouldn't allow a kid to go to the hospital on their own. I know pretty much everyone agrees with me on that.

Now what happens to the teams that only have 2-3 coaches when there's an injury with no parents/guardians in the stands to assist?

*I'm 100% against telling kids they get a certain number of tickets. We'll say six and intended for family. I know of several family issues that came up. Know of at least one kid who had reached his dream and now his separated family were trying to make him pick favorites. I don't think the kids should have to deal with that. Problem is if you decide to give 20 sets of tickets, there will always be reasons people think they need 30. I really didn't like when OHSAA did that but also understand it wasn't something they really ever planned for

I think you could have events without legal guardians. Coached at a school that didn't have a lot of parent support. But another big problem is injuries. We got lucky and never had anyone on our team taken by ambulance during my coaching career. But I sure as heck wouldn't allow a kid to go to the hospital on their own. I know pretty much everyone agrees with me on that.

Now what happens to the teams that only have 2-3 coaches when there's an injury with no parents/guardians in the stands to assist?

*I'm 100% against telling kids they get a certain number of tickets. We'll say six and intended for family. I know of several family issues that came up. Know of at least one kid who had reached his dream and now his separated family were trying to make him pick favorites. I don't think the kids should have to deal with that. Problem is if you decide to give 20 sets of tickets, there will always be reasons people think they need 30. I really didn't like when OHSAA did that but also understand it wasn't something they really ever planned for
Parents called when injury occurs. Coach would accompany athlete if ambulance needed. I'm sure you could find coaches from other teams to cover. It might take some creative effort. Televising would be huge for events. Educate the athletes about Covid and what it entails. Let the families of athletes make decisions. Life has to move forward. The elderly and unhealthy people need to be careful.

How many Grandparents would love to watch their grandchildren wrestle? Some will accept the risk and some won't. Most of the elderly gentlemen I know wouldn't miss a match. They would rather die doing something they loved. They don't want to be told what to do. I talked with an older barber and he said Covid was nothing compared to being in a ditch getting his shot at. I thought about it and chuckled.