I find it increasingly difficult to believe there will be a spring sports season AT ALL this year.

Is this accurate below of how things work?
Our public school gets say $900 from the state per pupil. That will be cut to $600. A family decides to send their kid to a private school and the state takes away $6000 from the school and gives it to the family to pay the Private School. Already a complete BS situation, but, state still going to take away the same $6000 and give it for Private School. No cuts there

A few things. Do you think anywhere near $6,000 of my taxes goes to the school? The entire community is helping pay for my kids and I help pay for other kids. At the very best, why isn't it figured out how much on average each tax payer pays towards the schools and they hand out that amount? People sending their kids to a private school are getting a pretty good welfare check in my opinion. They have every right to send their kids anywhere they want for school. I have no problem with that, but they should get zero help to do so. It's their choice and good for them. There are other issues of separation of church and state that have been cleverly gotten around, but I'm sure people would be a lot more upset if their tax money was going to Psycho dads private school of school of Atheism or Witchcraft . I just find it interesting that $ for a kid to eat is welfare and money to send your kid to a private school is not.

All that said, is it true that the money being given for private school education is not being cut? And, if I'm wrong on how the system works, can someone explain it better please. I know my local school gets a lot less from the state per pupil than what is taken away when a kid goes to another school. I'm sure other schools get more. Would I get $6,000 a kid to home school my kids? The public school is obligated to take those kids back if they decide to come back or are no longer admitted in the other school and I don't think $6,000 comes back with a kid.

This is my general understanding of how it works. Simplified of course, but the general gist. How far off am I? I am not anti Private Schools. I am pro education and pro community.
PD, you are essentially correct about the money. There is a per pupil amount computed, but the caps on spending mean almost no one gets this theoretical amount in actuality. But that Is the number used to determine how much to transfer for charter schools and private schools.

Is this accurate below of how things work?
Our public school gets say $900 from the state per pupil. That will be cut to $600. A family decides to send their kid to a private school and the state takes away $6000 from the school and gives it to the family to pay the Private School. Already a complete BS situation, but, state still going to take away the same $6000 and give it for Private School. No cuts there

A few things. Do you think anywhere near $6,000 of my taxes goes to the school? The entire community is helping pay for my kids and I help pay for other kids. At the very best, why isn't it figured out how much on average each tax payer pays towards the schools and they hand out that amount? People sending their kids to a private school are getting a pretty good welfare check in my opinion. They have every right to send their kids anywhere they want for school. I have no problem with that, but they should get zero help to do so. It's their choice and good for them. There are other issues of separation of church and state that have been cleverly gotten around, but I'm sure people would be a lot more upset if their tax money was going to Psycho dads private school of school of Atheism or Witchcraft . I just find it interesting that $ for a kid to eat is welfare and money to send your kid to a private school is not.

All that said, is it true that the money being given for private school education is not being cut? And, if I'm wrong on how the system works, can someone explain it better please. I know my local school gets a lot less from the state per pupil than what is taken away when a kid goes to another school. I'm sure other schools get more. Would I get $6,000 a kid to home school my kids? The public school is obligated to take those kids back if they decide to come back or are no longer admitted in the other school and I don't think $6,000 comes back with a kid.

This is my general understanding of how it works. Simplified of course, but the general gist. How far off am I? I am not anti Private Schools. I am pro education and pro community.
Just look at the percentages being cut only to public schools in the charts that were released by the state.

If you went on some of the private school websites when this was starting to happen, they were emphasizing students to renew their Ed choice scholarships apps so they could get the dollars for next year. I have not found ANY cuts to this program. The payment they give to these private schools is not even close to what is needed to educate these students. The #1 expense for education is teacher wages.

So if you give a private school $6000 for an Ed choice student probably only $600-1000 is being used to educate that student if you don’t hire a new teacher. It very similar to open enrollment.

It’s wrong.

Last edited: