Huber Heights Wayne @ Fairfield

vamp2syd

Thursday night game. Battle between the Warriors and Indians. It has been 15 years since these teams have met in a meaningful game though they have scrimmaged in recent years. Wayne leads the series 6-2 winning the last 5 but the most remembered game was the 99 playoff game at Fairfield when Wayne upset the GMC champs 18-14 claiming their first ever playoff win.

Wayne graduated a ton so it may be a little shaky in the first few weeks. Fairfield was young last season and could be a surprise in the GMC. Both teams looked good in scrimmages last week with Wayne blowing out Findlay and Fairfield taking care of LaSalle. This game can be seen live on MyTv over the air. I would think Fairfield would be the favorite in this one by about 7 but Wayne has the talent to get it done.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

this one could go either way. Lewis for Wayne could be a really exciting quarterback and they will be strong up front.

Being told that the Fairfield offensive line has some good size and is strong. Will be interesting to see what kind of offense Fairfield will run this year.

Oldies 97.3 (DaytonOldies.org) will be calling the game on the radio. Apps for IOS and ANDROID. FM 97.3 in the Dayton area.

Dave

A preview of the game from Fox 45/22 sports reporter:

Wayne stopped Fairfield 3 and out and then went on a long drive to go up 7-0
Looked like Wayne was going to get another 3 and out but a 3rd man in grabbed the face mask, 15 yard penalty and new life for the Indians. They went with it and ended up scoring to tie it at 7.

Fairfield would go up 14-7 and Wayne forgot how to tackle a QB as the YAC yards added up. A fumble though could of gone Wayne's way but Fairfield jumped on it for the score.

Wayne had a 1:20 left to work with (should of been 2:00 but for some reason Wayne did not call timeout on defense to save time) and ran out of time and had to settle for a FG to make it 14-10 at half in favor of Fairfield.

Wayne so far is giving this game away. Too many penalties in the opening quarter. Too many YAC yards. A dropped ball which would of been a TD by a D1 receiver.... Once again the inability to call a timeout in a timely manner letting an additional 8 seconds go off the clock late before calling a timeout which they could of gotten another play off.

Wayne's QB is playing a heck of a game. Fairfield's QB is the difference maker not throwing the ball but running it......

Wayne will get the ball to start the 3rd qtr.

Fairfields QB very impressive as a runner. He can avoid and shed tacklers like no one else on the field, he is the difference in the game. Very dangerous

Wayne? Wayne scored a long TD to make it 28-23 and instead of going for two to make it 28-25 they kick the extra point. Ensuring they need a touchdown. ??

I stated earlier on this thread that Wayne would lose this game by 1 or 2 scores. Wayne will take some lumps early as they are loaded with sophomore and freshman talent.

2nd half was ugly. Failing to field a kick-off giving Fairfield first and goal at the 5 was a back breaker. Throw in a fumble returned for a TD by Fairfield the nail in the coffin. Despite all of this and the three big dropped passes one which would of been a TD the difference maker was the inability of the Wayne defense to tackle the Fairfield QB. I would be curious what his YAC yards were in this game.

For Wayne fans, let's hope that this is the last year for Coach Mukes. He simply holds the team back with his average coaching abilities. The same fundamental football mistakes keep happening every year since he has been coach. There has been no growth from a coach or team perspective. Can't use the learning on the job excuse anymore...

Last edited:
Fun game to watch. A great game until about midway through the 4th quarter. Too many costly mistakes for the Warriors. Special Teams has got to get fixed if they want to win. Both teams should have a great rest of the year. Lots of talent on both sides. Great pick for the first TNL

Last edited:
It’s worked for them tonight but my lord I don’t think he could throw a spiral to save his life.
What game were you at? Looked like quite a few spirals tonight .... Not that he needed it ... He ran over Wayne from start to finish ... Beginning to end ... North to South. But I get it. Still has the rest of this season plus another to figure out how to throw a "spiral" ....

Good grief ... I get it ... After starting as a freshman and sophomore ... I think I get your point. To me he looked pretty solid throwing and running .... Didn't try to force anything .... But hey ... I guess everyone should always be judged squarely on past performance.

Fun game to watch ... Good crowd ...lots of talent on the field ...plenty of room to keep improving. Good luck to both teams going forward.

Fairfield is basically one dimensional, shut down the QB run and you win the game. I bet the FF QB had close to 200 yards rushing.

What game were you at? Looked like quite a few spirals tonight .... Not that he needed it ... He ran over Wayne from start to finish ... Beginning to end ... North to South. But I get it. Still has the rest of this season plus another to figure out how to throw a "spiral" ....

Good grief ... I get it ... After starting as a freshman and sophomore ... I think I get your point. To me he looked pretty solid throwing and running .... Didn't try to force anything .... But hey ... I guess everyone should always be judged squarely on past performance.

Fun game to watch ... Good crowd ...lots of talent on the field ...plenty of room to keep improving. Good luck to both teams going forward.
Boss man I watched it on TV, they showed slow motion replays…. He can’t throw a spiral hahahaha not saying he didn’t play a good game so just stop right there. I mean even the 52 yard touchdown pass a duck. He is going to have to learn to throw a spiral to play QB that’s all.

Fairfield beat the spread. Thanks GMC.

lol, the spread was wrong and I have no idea how KEW got that. Fairfield did beat the spread though as the Spread should of been something like Fairfield by 7.5 to 10.5. Wayne gave Fairfield 14 points. Not fielding a kick off and allowing the kicking team to recover at the 5 and the fumble that was not forced that was returned for a TD. Throw in a dropped TD pass by your D1 receiver and there is 21 points. Plenty of room to work on and plenty of talent in the pot but we need somebody who can put it all together..... we don't have that.

Man.... just thought of it. The only team I hate more than Moe are the Paper Tigers.... I won't root for Moe but I will be rooting against their opposition this week.....

Not likely......
I would hope Mukes resigns. He’s not made for this. Lackluster coaching at best. Horrible play calling. He’s taking the Wayne dynasty and ruining it one game at a time. I’m sure he’s probably a good person-but that doesn’t make him a good head coach of a D1 football team. He had ZERO head coaching opportunities prior to this and it shows. How in the world did he get this job? HOW?

I would hope Mukes resigns. He’s not made for this. Lackluster coaching at best. Horrible play calling. He’s taking the Wayne dynasty and ruining it one game at a time. I’m sure he’s probably a good person-but that doesn’t make him a good head coach of a D1 football team. He had ZERO head coaching opportunities prior to this and it shows. How in the world did he get this job? HOW?
I'm surprised the Wayne community has tolerated this for this long