Hubbard at IC Week 11

sportster4321

Almost didn't bother to start a thread. But why not. Football only comes around once a year. This is a repeat matchup from last years first round when Hubbard beat Indian Creek at home 51-21. I would love to focus on the fact Jermia Harris gashed IC outrunning the defense over and over in last years game. That was behind almost the same offensive line the Eagles have this season. Unfortunately the 2019 Eagles are on life support compared to the 2018 edition. The team I watched in week 9 and 10 didn't look like the Eagles I've come accustomed to watching.

Multiple first half turnovers. Mental errors galore. And not enough depth to make up for it like in the past. Don't get me wrong. South Range and Poland are better than Hubbard this season. 100%. But digging early first quarter holes to both teams because of turnovers and simple mistakes was like waving the white flag. What followed looked like a team that could care less they were getting blown out. That is not Hubbard Eagle football.

I can accept a loss based on talent. I cannot accept a loss based on giving up when the going gets tough. Here's hoping this team gets back to playing Hubbard Eagle football like so many teams before them have and leave Wintersville with a victory Saturday night. Time to fight.

Last edited:

Hubbard can absolutely win, just have to play to their potential. I don’t think IC will b able to score like most of the teams Hubbard played

Hubbard’s strength of schedule will pay dividends in this matchup. Alliance played Creek the past two years week 3 and defeated them 35-21 and 26-12. Tough kids, good coaching staff, but they play a weaker schedule. Wish we still played Creek. Great environment for high school football! I’ll take the Eagles in a upset!

Indian creek very weak schedule. Indian creek weakest team in the field of 8. A win for Indian creek would be not to have a running clock put on them in their first home playoff game. They might come out and score first but Hubbard will beat them handily.

Indian creek very weak schedule. Indian creek weakest team in the field of 8. A win for Indian creek would be not to have a running clock put on them in their first home playoff game. They might come out and score first but Hubbard will beat them handily.
Ok running clock guy

I heard IC was young the last 2 years and has a really good senior led team this year. Only loss was to a very good Indian Valley team, 14-13 which was the most points the gave up in a game all year. I would also argue that Hubbard's schedule is not that much better that Indian Creek's. Hubbard just got blown out the last 2 games. I think IC beats them 21-7.

I respectfully disagree. IC wins by more than 1 score and may advance to the regional finals. I heard that IC is a very good senior heavy team that was a year away last year when Hubbard beat them. They have an outstanding defense this year and i can see them winning 21-7 in the freezing cold conditions.

Hubbard is not the Hubbard of last year. But they have the ability to play better than they’ve played lately. After losing their QB, they ended with two tough losses but to VERY GOOD teams who in my opinion will be playing in week 13. Their schedule includes five playoff teams as opposed to two for Indian creek. If Hubbard’s defense shows up, it will probably be a good game. If not, Hubbard has trouble scoring this year and they’ll lose by a couple scores. But I think that’s the last win for IC this season.

A Few stats
Opponent win loss record
Indian C. 47-53
Hubbard. 49-51
Played up or down in division
Indian C. Up-1. Down-4
Hubbard. Up-4. Down-2
Playoff teams played/beat
Indian C. 2/1
Hubbard. 5/1
Points scored/allowed
Indian C. 327/73
Hubbard. 196/161

It would be nice to know how many seniors each team has. Three or four year starters. College commits if any. Just to get a better picture.

Last edited:
Hubbard is not the Hubbard of last year. But they have the ability to play better than they’ve played lately. After losing their QB, they ended with two tough losses but to VERY GOOD teams who in my opinion will be playing in week 13. Their schedule includes five playoff teams as opposed to two for Indian creek. If Hubbard’s defense shows up, it will probably be a good game. If not, Hubbard has trouble scoring this year and they’ll lose by a couple scores. But I think that’s the last win for IC this season.

A Few stats
Opponent win loss record
Indian C. 47-53
Hubbard. 49-51
Indian C. Up-1. Down-4
Hubbard. Up-4. Down-2
Indian C. 2/1
Hubbard. 5/1
Points scored/allowed
Indian C. 207/73
Hubbard. 196/161

It would be nice to know how many seniors each team has. Three or four year starters. College commits if any. Just to get a better picture.

good stuff. It should be a pretty good battle. IC's schedules does have some weaker teams but they did play some good ones too. I just think Hubbard is reelling a bit and IC is rolling.. The good news Hubbard fans- i suck at picking games!!

good stuff. It should be a pretty good battle. IC's schedules does have some weaker teams but they did play some good ones too. I just think Hubbard is reelling a bit and IC is rolling.. The good news Hubbard fans- i suck at picking games!!
Then go ahead and pick Poland.
We could use some sucky picking!
:p

A Few stats
Opponent win loss record
Indian C. 47-53
Hubbard. 49-51
Indian C. Up-1. Down-4
Hubbard. Up-4. Down-2
Indian C. 2/1
Hubbard. 5/1
Points scored/allowed
Indian C. 207/73
Hubbard. 196/161

So you think that South Range will beat Kirtland?

This should be a great game. Some very costly mistakes the past two weeks against some very good teams. If Hubbard limits the turnovers and penalties, I think they will do much better than what they have shown versus Poland and SR.

I think ICBM's stats above are incorrect on IC's points scored. I think they average about 30 points per game, rather than 20.7.

2019 Season Preview from August 20, 2019

Indian Creek Redskins 2019 High School Football Season Preview
by: Scott Nolte
Aug 20, 2019

WINTERSVILLE, Ohio (WTRF) — Indian Creek Redskins enjoyed their 10th straight winning season in 2018 while also making the playoffs for the fourth time in five years.
With a number of players returning the team, the Redskins look to be headed towards another winning season.
Entering his 17th season as head coach of Indian Creek High School football team, Andrew Connor has built a winning tradition at Indian Creek where the expectations are high.
“I think they don’t want to let down the group that was in front of them, you know,” said Coach Connor. “We put every kids name up on the wall that played here. I think that’s an important part of a culture we’ve developed here.”
Indian Creek sees the return of several key skill players with game experience from 2018.

Starting with senior Quarterback Sam Mazar threw for more than 1,100 yards and 10 touchdowns while adding nearly 300 more yards on the ground with five more scores.
In the backfield, senior Trevor Fante who rushed for nearly 1,100 yards and 13 total touchdowns is back.
Junior Matt Schaefer also returns after rushing for 360 yards and five scores last season.
Seniors Brandon Hiles and Tyler Smarrella will also help carry the ball.
Senior Brandon Fleming is a versatile player that will figure into the running and passing attack. Fleming had six total scores a year ago.
Seniors Klay Cottis and Brock Lucas bring experience to the receiving corps.
The Redskins also return three offensive linemen in seniors Logan Scheel, Garren Swickard and junior Jacob Hejduk with senior Gerard Walsh and junior Jesse Bolek joining them too.
“You know, you cannot produce game experience in practice,” said Coach Connor. “So, I think right now that’s going to help us with our younger kids who are working there way in and vying for jobs.”

Indian Creek returns three linebackers on defense with nearly 40 starts among them. That includes Smarrella who had 140 tackles and five sacks a season ago, along with Hiles and Fante.
Schaefer returns at Defensive End with junior Jeremy Brown at the other end and senior Shawn McClurg also along the defensive line.
Flemming and Cottis return in the backfield.
“I think it’s always good when your linebackers have experience,” said Coach Connor. “They put you in the right defense.”
The Redskins defensive front will get their first challenge when they open the season at Cambridge on the August 30.

A tidbit from the Herald Star:

Terrance-Norris-WEB-660x840.jpg

BLOCKING — Big Red’s Terrance Norris blocks during Friday’s game against Linsly. Big Red is one of three local teams that qualified for the Ohio playoffs. - Joe Catullo
STEUBENVILLE — When talking about the Ohio football playoffs, Big Red coach Reno Saccoccia said “everyone is 0-0 right now.”
Well, maybe not everyone, but the 224 schools (three from the Herald Star/Daily Times coverage area) who qualified for Week 11 definitely are.
Indian Creek and Toronto will host first-round games on Saturday night while Big Red will travel to Portage County for a Friday date with Aurora. All playoff games begin at 7 p.m.
Creek, which is hosting its first playoff game, finished third in the Division IV, Region 13 standings and will test sixth-seeded Hubbard, 6-4. This, of course, is a rematch from 2018. The Eagles pinned a 51-21 defeat on the Redskins then took down Big Red in the semifinals, 34-16.
Hubbard was the third seed in 2018 while Creek was sixth. Other Region 13 games include No. 8 Girard at No. 1 Perry, No. 7 Struthers at No. 2 Poland Seminary and No. 5 Salem at No. 4 Cuyahoga Falls Christian Academy.
“It’s going to be special,” Creek coach Andrew Connor said about Saturday’s playoff opener inside Kettlewell Stadium. “We have waited a long time as a school district. Everyone is excited. This was one of our goals and we got it.”
The 9-1 Redskins are making their seventh appearance in the playoffs.

INDIAN CREEK INFO

Attachments

• 2019 Indian Creek Preview - WTOV.jpg
    2019 Indian Creek Preview - WTOV.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 33
  • 2019 Indian Creek Roster #1.jpg
    2019 Indian Creek Roster #1.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 2019 Indian Creek Roster #2.jpg
    2019 Indian Creek Roster #2.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 29
Looking at those rosters, IC must rely on speed, and quickness. Kids look small on the roster overall

INDIAN CREEK - 2019
9-1 Record
Points Scored: 327
Points Allowed: 73
Ten games

KETTLEWELL STADIUM, Wintersville, OH
Built 1971, Turf installed 2019
Capacity: 4,500
First ever home playoff game
Playoff Record: Appearances: SIX, Record: 0-6

Attachments

• INDIAN CREEK 2019 Schedule & Results-Joe Eitel.jpg
    INDIAN CREEK 2019 Schedule & Results-Joe Eitel.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Kettlewell Stadium-Indian Creek.jpg
    Kettlewell Stadium-Indian Creek.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 21
So you think that South Range will beat Kirtland?
They have the best chance in the region. But I was thinking they would meet them in 13. But it’s 12. The point was they’re pretty good. ?

Last edited:
They have the best chance in the region. But I was thinking they would meet them in 13. But it’s 12. The point was they’re pretty good. ?
I know they are good, and hope they win. But they have to face Kirtland in week 12, provided both teams win in week 11, which they should

This is Creek's best chance to win a playoff game. They're at home with a strong defense. I think they pull away in the 2nd half and win 21-6.

Should be around the same speed, on the field, if Hubbard’s o line plays well they win, their defense will make some stops, IC isn’t nearly as good as Poland struthers or SR they are more like Niles

Should be around the same speed, on the field, if Hubbard’s o line plays well they win, their defense will make some stops, IC isn’t nearly as good as Poland struthers or SR they are more like Niles
I would think their defense is way better than Niles