Hubbard at Greenville PA week 2

sportster4321

Hubbard travels to Greenville PA for a week 2 match up. The Eagles beat Youngstown East last night 28-8. This will be the Greenville Trojans home opener. The overall series record is 1-2-1 in favor of Greenville with the most recent matchup taking place around 80 years ago. That matchup was a Greenville win, so this is definitely a revenge game for the Eagles.

Hubbard should be favored but has to look sharp from start to finish this week. Last night was average at best. Thoughts

It was nice to see that 3 different players scored for Hubbard last night (Wilcox 2, McConahy 1, and Owens 1).

I don't know anything about Greenville's football team but after reading your post, this game definitely does qualify as a payback game, I don't care if it was 80 years ago...?

3 straight road games for The Eagles of Hubbard High starting this Friday.

Just looked it up, pretty nice looking stadium in Greenville with a seating capacity of 4500.

This is a 2 year deal, with Greenville traveling to Hubbard next year.

Hubbard travels to Greenville PA for a week 2 match up. The Eagles beat Youngstown East last night 28-8. This will be the Greenville Trojans home opener. The overall series record is 1-2-1 in favor of Greenville with the most recent matchup taking place around 80 years ago. That matchup was a Greenville win, so this is definitely a revenge game for the Eagles.

Hubbard should be favored but has to look sharp from start to finish this week. Last night was average at best. Thoughts
Sorry sportster I have to disagree with your comment my friend. All teams make mistakes even some good teams, but East has a really good defense that is really quick to the ball. Go back and watch some film bro

Look at the avatar....

Hubbard is going to win. It's only a matter of by how much. Greenville can play tough even in their down years. Surprising teams like Hickory when Hickory was on their D10 title streak. But Greenville is not going to be good this year. Average, decent... sure. But they're not going to beat Hubbard. Especially with a week's worth of work more than them.

As for the stadium, you'll love it. There is no track.

Screenshot 2022-08-21 022044.png

The stadium actually predates the school. Greenville High School started as, well, Greenville High School. Then, Penn High was built in downtown. At the time, the team (always the Greenville Trojans name), played at Packard Park, where Thiel College also played at the time (near where the softball field at the college is). The land for the field, and the school, was donated by the Stewart family, and hence was named Stewart Field. The wooden stadium was built first. Two years later, the high school beside it opened. It was named Greenville Jr/Sr High School. In the mid-90s, the year I first went to GHS from middle school, the stadium was replaced with an all aluminum structure. The field was still grass until 2015, when a new turf field (still the same field today) was installed.

The dedication ceremony also dedicated the stadium to the two long time head coaches: Ed Snyder and Bob Stone. Ed Snyder was coach from 1937-1954 and 1959-1967 (152-64-10 in 26 seasons, the winningest coach in Mercer Co history at the time). Bob Stone coached from 1978 to 2006 (222-75-6 over 29 years, also the winningest coach in Mercer Co history at the time; coach for Wilmington, Terry Verrelli is the now retired current winningest head coach). Stone was a longtime assistant coach for an additional 16 years prior. His replacement, and still current head coach, Brian Herrick, has been coach now for 16 years.

The stadium does seat about 4,500. Though honestly doesn't need that many anymore. The town has shrunk considerably since the 50s when things like Trinity Steel Car, Bessemer, Warner Ladder, etc were in town. There's a huge lot west of the school. There's also two very small grass lots just east of the field house. Anyone with a placard can park in the field house lot if there's room. It is gravel, fyi. The streets all around town are open for parking and if there isn't space, street parking is plentiful.

Tickets, if they haven't change them yet, are still $4 for adults, and $2 for students and seniors. They do have $5 reserved seats. I can't imagine they've raised the prices and have had them at that since the 90s. Visitor side will be full at least thirty minutes before kickoff. Especially if there's a decent sized band coming. There is TONS of room to stand around the fences as long as you're not behind the player boxes. The north endzone is a common hang out spot among fans and honestly makes the reserved seats look empty since a lot have season passes there and then just mill about.

The school did cut down the trees a few years ago. There used to be massive trees that lined the back of the home stands. Which acted as an early sunset for early evening games. It was very nice and noticeable. And then were cut down sometime around 2016 or so. Never felt the same since.

23597169493_abe549af1c_b.jpg

51256856972_d2a3a4257f_b.jpg

If you want something local to eat, try Carini's in downtown Greenville. The Carini Special hoagie is pretty good and what I always get.

And just remember, in PA, the PA mercy rule is in use. 35 points after halftime, not 30. And, at least until recently, was a bit less onerous than the Ohio rule. But I've been to enough games in PA recently to know that the clock operator basically gets to make up his own mind when he wants to stop it and the officials rarely step in if they're running it too much. PA was one of the first states with a mercy rule back in the mid-90s. Back then, it was 45 after halftime, 35 after 3. But only negated out-of-bounds, first down, and incomplete stoppages.

Greenville did play a lot of Ohio teams in the past. In the pre-playoff era, Greenville had a big rivalry with Brookfield, playing them annually on Thanksgiving Day. Back when the season started mid-September and ended on Thanksgiving. They also had a home-and-home with Marietta in the early 2000s (around 03 or 04 I believe).

Sorry sportster I have to disagree with your comment my friend. All teams make mistakes even some good teams, but East has a really good defense that is really quick to the ball. Go back and watch some film bro
I hope you're right Soaring. I also believe in negative and positive reinforcement. It's week one. Nothing is normal in week one, usually. East was big and fast. Hell I hope they do win half their games. My point was, after going up 20-0 quite easily. Hubbard really bogged down until late in the fourth quarter. Credit to East, but Hubbard didn't exactly try anything different, turning the ball over on downs inside the East 10 yard line at one point. I think Hubbard has some really good backs this year. #8,#5,#15,#18#2,#22 are all capable ball carriers. I think #18 is going to be a really good one before it's all said and done. He looked great in the fourth quarter Friday night. Nice speed and hard to bring down. Hoping for the best moving forward. Go Eagles!

Look at the avatar....

Hubbard is going to win. It's only a matter of by how much. Greenville can play tough even in their down years. Surprising teams like Hickory when Hickory was on their D10 title streak. But Greenville is not going to be good this year. Average, decent... sure. But they're not going to beat Hubbard. Especially with a week's worth of work more than them.

As for the stadium, you'll love it. There is no track.

View attachment 32919

The stadium actually predates the school. Greenville High School started as, well, Greenville High School. Then, Penn High was built in downtown. At the time, the team (always the Greenville Trojans name), played at Packard Park, where Thiel College also played at the time (near where the softball field at the college is). The land for the field, and the school, was donated by the Stewart family, and hence was named Stewart Field. The wooden stadium was built first. Two years later, the high school beside it opened. It was named Greenville Jr/Sr High School. In the mid-90s, the year I first went to GHS from middle school, the stadium was replaced with an all aluminum structure. The field was still grass until 2015, when a new turf field (still the same field today) was installed.

The dedication ceremony also dedicated the stadium to the two long time head coaches: Ed Snyder and Bob Stone. Ed Snyder was coach from 1937-1954 and 1959-1967 (152-64-10 in 26 seasons, the winningest coach in Mercer Co history at the time). Bob Stone coached from 1978 to 2006 (222-75-6 over 29 years, also the winningest coach in Mercer Co history at the time; coach for Wilmington, Terry Verrelli is the now retired current winningest head coach). Stone was a longtime assistant coach for an additional 16 years prior. His replacement, and still current head coach, Brian Herrick, has been coach now for 16 years.

The stadium does seat about 4,500. Though honestly doesn't need that many anymore. The town has shrunk considerably since the 50s when things like Trinity Steel Car, Bessemer, Warner Ladder, etc were in town. There's a huge lot west of the school. There's also two very small grass lots just east of the field house. Anyone with a placard can park in the field house lot if there's room. It is gravel, fyi. The streets all around town are open for parking and if there isn't space, street parking is plentiful.

Tickets, if they haven't change them yet, are still $4 for adults, and $2 for students and seniors. They do have $5 reserved seats. I can't imagine they've raised the prices and have had them at that since the 90s. Visitor side will be full at least thirty minutes before kickoff. Especially if there's a decent sized band coming. There is TONS of room to stand around the fences as long as you're not behind the player boxes. The north endzone is a common hang out spot among fans and honestly makes the reserved seats look empty since a lot have season passes there and then just mill about.

The school did cut down the trees a few years ago. There used to be massive trees that lined the back of the home stands. Which acted as an early sunset for early evening games. It was very nice and noticeable. And then were cut down sometime around 2016 or so. Never felt the same since.

23597169493_abe549af1c_b.jpg

51256856972_d2a3a4257f_b.jpg

If you want something local to eat, try Carini's in downtown Greenville. The Carini Special hoagie is pretty good and what I always get.

And just remember, in PA, the PA mercy rule is in use. 35 points after halftime, not 30. And, at least until recently, was a bit less onerous than the Ohio rule. But I've been to enough games in PA recently to know that the clock operator basically gets to make up his own mind when he wants to stop it and the officials rarely step in if they're running it too much. PA was one of the first states with a mercy rule back in the mid-90s. Back then, it was 45 after halftime, 35 after 3. But only negated out-of-bounds, first down, and incomplete stoppages.

Greenville did play a lot of Ohio teams in the past. In the pre-playoff era, Greenville had a big rivalry with Brookfield, playing them annually on Thanksgiving Day. Back when the season started mid-September and ended on Thanksgiving. They also had a home-and-home with Marietta in the early 2000s (around 03 or 04 I believe).
Man, nicely said!!

I hope you're right Soaring. I also believe in negative and positive reinforcement. It's week one. Nothing is normal in week one, usually. East was big and fast. Hell I hope they do win half their games. My point was, after going up 20-0 quite easily. Hubbard really bogged down until late in the fourth quarter. Credit to East, but Hubbard didn't exactly try anything different, turning the ball over on downs inside the East 10 yard line at one point. I think Hubbard has some really good backs this year. #8,#5,#15,#18#2,#22 are all capable ball carriers. I think #18 is going to be a really good one before it's all said and done. He looked great in the fourth quarter Friday night. Nice speed and hard to bring down. Hoping for the best moving forward. Go Eagles!
Yes, Hubbard had some trouble going into the second half because I think the east coaching staff made some adjustments at half sportster. I guess we will see. And like usual Hubbard's passing game as of late is _____. Can't figure out why they can't come up with someone at that position other than who is in there now. He has his moments, but the boy is way too short to be a pocket passer. They need to use him more as a roll out type option Quarterback. Oh well we will see how far this run game will take them. And yes #18 is a beast he will be a good one and I watched him in the midgets the boy can run, and he hits the hole fast.

They look really quick to the ball because they know they don’t have to cover receivers
Usually the biggest jump a team makes is from week 1 to week 2

high lights from yo east for your pleasure.... spoke with a coach. they wanted to establish the running game wk 1. the goal is to pass more weeks 2 +. they believe hendrix is there guy. wild cat package with yianni is in the playbook

I totally agree, he could definitely be something special going forward this season. A lot of ponies this season.

3 different players scored against East on Friday.
Definitely potential. Him and #5 get the full load next season. Nice to see them establish themselves as Juniors.

high lights from yo east for your pleasure.... spoke with a coach. they wanted to establish the running game wk 1. the goal is to pass more weeks 2 +. they believe hendrix is there guy. wild cat package with yianni is in the playbook
I guess there is still hope in the passing game going forward as Hoffman has stated in the summer. A lot of ponies and a passing game, should be fun to watch.

Call me bias because I know the kid, but 15 should be a huge focal point when they face the better teams. His speed alone can break one
Not bias, you’re spot on. Maybe bringing him along slowly from injury. I know he played just about every down on defense. Agreed, he has talent to carry the offense. Especially against better competition. He was second in carries last year behind Caffey when he went down. I’m looking forward to his spark this year.

Call me bias because I know the kid, but 15 should be a huge focal point when they face the better teams. His speed alone can break one
I don't know he was wearing a brace on the leg that got broke during the Mooney game from last year. I just wonder if he will be able to make cuts on that leg as a runner

Last edited: