How much to get into JO/travel volleyball matches?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I've been told by others that JO/travel volleyball was usually free to get in. Going to a three day tournament this weekend and have to pay $28 per parent.

Is this an unusually high rate?

Auggie

National qualifiers cost $s, lord knows I have too many MEQ wristbands laying around the junk drawer. American and Regional 1 day events are free.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
It must be a lucrative business to get into. I can't imagine charging more than some professional sports but they know the parents want to see their kids and haven't found a price-point that turns many away.

Auggie

8:00 AM is too early but I have been in some convo centers at 8:00 PM trying to figure out how to get the kids to diner and in bed to start it all over again the next morning. I guess this biggest challenge with volleyball is that it is not a timed sport and some courts have evenly matched up teams with many long 3 set matches while others are mostly 2 set sweeps that are done quickly; also the staff usually doesn't want to be working late on a weekend evening.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
I guess this biggest challenge with volleyball is that it is not a timed sport and some courts have evenly matched up teams with many long 3 set matches while others are mostly 2 set sweeps that are done quickly; also the staff usually doesn't want to be working late on a weekend evening.
I noticed that during the middle school volleyball and basketball seasons. Basketball was fairly constant. Volleyball varied widely the starting times of the next age group. It definitely added to the crowd size pre-Covid when the first match went three sets.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Since this seems to be the right thread to talk about JO, has anyone seen boys playing in girls volleyball? I'm not talking about the controversy of transgenders becoming girls and playing. Just simply regular boys dressing in shorts playing on girls teams.

I'm very new to volleyball but saw a team two weeks ago with two boys playing with a team. Is this normal and typically allowed?

Did this tournament have mostly Regional or National teams? I am on my second "stint" with my youngest daughter now involved and I have never seen that

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The event was open to USAV, AAU and JVA teams. There were mostly American teams there but about 5 National. Not sure about any Regional.

Auggie

Since this seems to be the right thread to talk about JO, has anyone seen boys playing in girls volleyball? I'm not talking about the controversy of transgenders becoming girls and playing. Just simply regular boys dressing in shorts playing on girls teams.

I'm very new to volleyball but saw a team two weeks ago with two boys playing with a team. Is this normal and typically allowed?
Never saw this at the American or National level. The bigger clubs have boys programs so I would be surprised to see any mixed teams these days.

What I do see sometimes are American teams that are basically National Teams in quality of play competing at the American level. From what I understand there are a couple factors for these teams:

• Cost: National level play usually requires air travel and multiple hotel night stays, those things are not cheap. Also many of these teams have a 2nd coach and PT as part of the plan; those things cost extra $s.
  • Time Commitment: Most national programs have at a minimum 4 days practice and the tournaments require Friday-Monday commitments when including travel so that means missing school.
  • Team Commitment: Most National teams do not allow a player to miss more than a couple practices let alone a single Qualifier Set. This basically cuts out any girl that would like to do another activity from December through July.
Some clubs have what are called Elite teams or National light. They play in local 1 or 2 day American Tournaments yet also play driving distance National qualifiers. OVC should try a new classification for these programs.

TriangleMan

I saw that a few years ago, think a club from Kidron had some boys on either a 12R or 13R team. IIRC there were stipulations like 1) no more than (2) boys per team and 2) boys were not eligible to play in the front row.

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
There were only two on this team. As to front row, I'm not versed on all the rules but they were at the net most of the time I saw them play (they were on the court next to us). I don't remember seeing them serve but didn't watch enough to know for sure.

14Red

Just keep telling yourself you signed up for this. All travel/ AAU "extra" sports is pay to play.