How is Summer Softball Going?

A lot of cancelled tournaments, particularly the larger tournaments and those that were scheduled to be held at schools. Otherwise, it seems to be business as usual except for the post-game handshakes. My daughter's team did have a family chose not to participate because of the virus.

First tournament we were at, umpires were behind the plate. Second tournament, they were behind the pitcher. It changed the strikezone a little. More high strikes were called and fewer low strikes. Almost everything else has remained the same.

I've not seen that. The 3 tournaments we've been able to play in have had an umpire behind the plate and one in the field.

A lot of cancelled tournaments, particularly the larger tournaments and those that were scheduled to be held at schools. Otherwise, it seems to be business as usual except for the post-game handshakes. My daughter's team did have a family chose not to participate because of the virus.
Had an experience related to a family like the one you just mentioned in your post. Last Friday, I was driving around dropping off graduation cards to family and friends. One of my friends has a son (the graduate in fact and a solid, fit athlete) whose doctor has declared in the vulnerable class due to a condition he has. This family has quarantined themselves for the last 15 weeks. Dad does not travel for work anymore (used to travel weekly), Mom does not volunteer anymore, they won't let younger brother get a regular job. it was an eye opener but these guys are doing it right.

Had an experience related to a family like the one you just mentioned in your post. Last Friday, I was driving around dropping off graduation cards to family and friends. One of my friends has a son (the graduate in fact and a solid, fit athlete) whose doctor has declared in the vulnerable class due to a condition he has. This family has quarantined themselves for the last 15 weeks. Dad does not travel for work anymore (used to travel weekly), Mom does not volunteer anymore, they won't let younger brother get a regular job. it was an eye opener but these guys are doing it right.

That makes sense. Nothing like that with the family in my situation. Sounded like just outright fear of the virus when they explained to my wife (who is the coach of the team) why they didn't want to play. Not a knock at them, to each is own, but frankly I'm glad my daughter is getting a chance to play some before leaving for college.

That makes sense. Nothing like that with the family in my situation. Sounded like just outright fear of the virus when they explained to my wife (who is the coach of the team) why they didn't want to play. Not a knock at them, to each is own, but frankly I'm glad my daughter is getting a chance to play some before leaving for college.
Yes

Have been Fast Pitch Softball Tournaments in Cincinnati area the last 3-4 weekends. Was told the Tournament this weekend had 75 Teams and was played until the rains came at 3-4 Parks in the area.

Have been Fast Pitch Softball Tournaments in Cincinnati area the last 3-4 weekends. Was told the Tournament this weekend had 75 Teams and was played until the rains came at 3-4 Parks in the area.

We are going to a big one in Indy this weekend at Grand Park. The others we have played in have been 8-10 teams, two were thrown together when other tournaments cancelled. I will be curious to see how things are handled with a lot more teams, but I'm guessing there won't be much of a change.

Besides the post game wave, not much difference between how games are being played now versus the pre-Covid days.

So now that everyone is 6 weeks to two months into this, has anyone got COVID from a softball tournament, or heard of anyone who has??

Besides the post game wave, not much difference between how games are being played now versus the pre-Covid days.

Only difference I have heard about is, Teams handling the Tournament Game Balls instead of the Umpires in a lot of this years tournaments. Only saw it once but saw an Umpire ask a Defensive team to please celebrate a Strikeout without high fives?

So now that everyone is 6 weeks to two months into this, has anyone got COVID from a softball tournament, or heard of anyone who has??
I have not heard of a single one. I've been to two fairly large tournaments (couple of hundred teams) and nothing. My daughter has played select ball and my wife has coached for the last 8 years, we know a lot of folks from all around the country and particularly the tristate area and I've not heard of one case let alone an outbreak.

I have not heard of a single one. I've been to two fairly large tournaments (couple of hundred teams) and nothing. My daughter has played select ball and my wife has coached for the last 8 years, we know a lot of folks from all around the country and particularly the tristate area and I've not heard of one case let alone an outbreak.
That's very interesting to me. So far, we take all the data from the Govenor and the health department as fact, but should we?? I mean I would think if there was an outbreak for these softball/ baseball / basketball tournaments that's been going on for a couple of months now, it would be headline news. We get one positive case in a nursing home and it's breaking news at 6PM??

That's very interesting to me. So far, we take all the data from the Govenor and the health department as fact, but should we?? I mean I would think if there was an outbreak for these softball/ baseball / basketball tournaments that's been going on for a couple of months now, it would be headline news. We get one positive case in a nursing home and it's breaking news at 6PM??

Some Softball and Baseball Teams “dropped out” of a few Tournaments some at literally the very last mini but all the Tournaments went on. I know of a Baseball Org that had some Team Members test positive. 2 weeks of quarantine and then were right back at it. Not sure if every kid was Tested or not.

We had 2 boys test positive for covid over a 15 day period between the last round robin and scheduled end of the year tourney. Because the org is scared out of its mind for liability purposes, the team dropped out. As an aside, we dropped out of four tourneys from Feb to August. (Two were out of state and the org would not let us travel) we have not received any our money back. Instead, the org received credit. Very disappointing end of the season.