How does your team look for 2024 ?

Possibly but I don’t think they beat Hoban. It took one Massillon’s best teams ever (not my words) and an all time defense to beat Hoban by 5 points. Even with the starting QB Avon would have trouble stopping Hoban’s running game. Either way Avon had a great season. The onside kick against Glenville and blackmailing their OC to only give Dee SEVEN carries was epic.
Let's not do that bro... You make it seem like we got lucky

I would have put my money on Avon > Hoban. Hell they almost did w/out an all-state QB comparable to Owens. Kid will be a 1st teamer next year.

But then we just woulda beat Avon. ;) You know I love you cjb but don't go there. Ha ha.
In my personal opinion I would rather play Avon in the state championship because I feel like we would have played Avon it would have been a running clock. I got a crap ton respect for coach Elder and the program he has built in Avon but I felt like only Hoban could have held us to 7 points nobody else in my opinion would have done that

Winton Woods returns a lot, the defense will be the best in the state regardless of division but, the offense is a question mark, they return a lot players at key positions but, they were absolutely underwhelming last year in execution and philosophy.
Best Defense in the state is in Massillon Ohio lol I hope Massillon and WW play next I have a ton respect for y'all boys

Jackson has an excellent quarterback returning. But this team has spent 20 years trying to prove it can be more than second or third place in the Fed. It happened once and the coach who did that is gone. They'll be successful if they play to their strengths.

not-good.gif

In my personal opinion I would rather play Avon in the state championship because I feel like we would have played Avon it would have been a running clock. I got a crap ton respect for coach Elder and the program he has built in Avon but I felt like only Hoban could have held us to 7 points nobody else in my opinion would have done that
Congrats on your championship but a running clock on Avon? Avon was leading Hoban into 4th quarter. I watched the scrimmage and saw two pretty even teams. SMH.....

Let's not do that bro... You make it seem like we got lucky
Man yall take it was too serious. You said lucky not me. I stated my opinion based on what you and I saw. Salute to Massillon being state champs. I got hip to this site because I’m a big fan of high school sports. I have a son in high school that has played football at the highest level on loaded teams in both high school and youth ball so I know there’s no luck involved and it still takes hard work. Hoban committed 4 turnovers (the face mask was also turnover) and 9 penalties, had zero pass game and played against an awesome defense and lost by 5 points, it wasn’t luck it was too tough teams and one teams made the game winning plays. I totally get high school football is more important and meaningful in a town like Massillon and I applaud that but don’t be so dense and sensitive. I don’t believe in luck and “should won”. Be great today and I hope to catch you at Friday Night Lights next Fall

ed relatively good health and you need a couple lucky bounces along the way. This just wasn't meant to be Avon's year.Th

Avon could have given Hoban more than a scare if their first team all Ohio QB played, but you don't just need a great team to win state. You need relatively good health and you need a couple lucky bounces along the way. This just wasn't meant to be Avon's year.
They will be a load next year.

Congrats on your championship but a running clock on Avon? Avon was leading Hoban into 4th quarter. I watched the scrimmage and saw two pretty even teams. SMH.....
Football is a game of matchups... Like I said I have a bunch of respect for Avon it's just my opinion though I was also at the scrimmage in August and I will tell you a lot of Massillon's starters did not play the defense that you seen towards the end of the year that gave 5.5 points a game half of them kids did not play in that scrimmage. I can tell you Massillon does not show a lot in scrimmages especially the first one is literally a conjoined practice and I understand Avon probably doesn't show a lot either cuz it's scrimmage but I just feel like if they would have played in the state championship game a few weeks ago I feel we have won comfortably. I also understand that Avon was leading in the fourth quarter but the reason I said that football is a game of matchups is because Avon typically is a more zone scheme team which could give a team like Hoban problems because it throws off the timing of their blitzing that Hoban does so well. A zone blocking scheme can completely throw off an aggressive team.

Last edited:
I aint gone hold you bro but Avon was really like that with the QB. I had Avon my slight favorite goin into the playoffs but I never saw a down of Massilon until the Hoban game tbh. After seeing the 02 Ravens-esque defense yall had I dont know anymore. And we'll never know now but I do know that yall the state chanps in real life and at the end of the day thats all that matters.

Nobody said Massillon got lucky - but Hoban did have a ton of penalties and a kid dropped the ball in the end zone late in the game.
All games have those moments. Avon had picked off Hoban deep in Hoban territory, but got moved back on a illegal block penalty on the play and later in the offensive series a WR had a really nice fourth down pass go through his hands near the end zone. Avon came away empty. So I guess karma got Hoban the next week on a dropped pass. That’s football.

Canton Central Catholic loses it's best player on offense, almost all of its D secondary, the QB (though backup saw a bit of time), and most of it's WR's. I don't have a lot of expectations for the '24 Crusaders.

All games have those moments. Avon had picked off Hoban deep in Hoban territory, but got moved back on a illegal block penalty on the play and later in the offensive series a WR had a really nice fourth down pass go through his hands near the end zone. Avon came away empty. So I guess karma got Hoban the next week on a dropped pass. That’s football.
When you have 2 evenly matched teams like Avon vs Hoban, Hoban vs Massillon it usually comes down to a few plays that determines the outcome. The teams that win usually win the turnover battle unless the game is a total mismatch because of a talent gap. Like Alabama could have 6 turnovers against Akron u and the score would still be 62 to 7.

Let me put it this way. I expect to see my school on Drew's list for consecutive losses next year. I sincerely hope not, but it's a real possibility.