How does the MAC do it?

What’s the biggest school (enrollment/Division-wise) that Marion Local and Coldwater each have faced, over the years? How did those games go? I know that each plays some slightly bigger schools during the regular season, due to some schools in the MAC being in higher divisions— but what about during non-conference regular season games (say over the last 25 years)?

What’s the biggest school (enrollment/Division-wise) that Marion Local and Coldwater each have faced, over the years? How did those games go? I know that each plays some slightly bigger schools during the regular season, due to some schools in the MAC being in higher divisions— but what about during non-conference regular season games (say over the last 25 years)?
I remember in the past 5 years that Marion Local played Chaminaude Julianne as a non conference game in back to back years. At the time CJ was a D4 school in the GCL, that was winning a lot of football games. Even went to the playoffs one of those years in D4. Marion Local beat them in both contests by scores of 34-14 and 35-7.

I remember in the past 5 years that Marion Local played Chaminaude Julianne as a non conference game in back to back years. At the time CJ was a D4 school in the GCL, that was winning a lot of football games. Even went to the playoffs one of those years in D4. Marion Local beat them in both contests by scores of 34-14 and 35-7.
Delphos St Johns played Detroit Catholic Central in 2011(DSJ lost just 14-7) and their enrollment is over 1,000. Hard to beat that I would think.

In 2008 Coldwater beat D1 Kokomo (Indiana) 41-7. We were their only regular season loss that year.

2021 Coldwater plays 917 Boy enrollment Cincinnati Oak Hills

As a rule the mac teams can hold their own playing up a level or 2. Have followed coldwater and marion local for quite a while. Some of the other members were non football schools going back. There were lean years for the Cavaliers when they were consistently playing bigger schools in the wbl. A real good season would be marked with a win over Celina some years. The Mac's creation really boosted God's country football stock

One thing no one has noted that is a key to the success is the rust in the water. Had a buddy from Versailles and when we were in college together everyone would ask us how we were bigger than everyone else especially height wise. We said aside from the blonde hair blue eyed German heritage, had to be the rust in the well water. Builds character and extra minerals for growing.

One thing no one has noted that is a key to the success is the rust in the water. Had a buddy from Versailles and when we were in college together everyone would ask us how we were bigger than everyone else especially height wise. We said aside from the blonde hair blue eyed German heritage, had to be the rust in the well water. Builds character and extra minerals for growing.
Yuck, the taste though.

Delphos St Johns played Detroit Catholic Central in 2011(DSJ lost just 14-7) and their enrollment is over 1,000. Hard to beat that I would think.
In 2006 DSJ visited Worthington Kilbourne in the opening game of the season and won 28-12. Kilbourne was a D1 school. I think they were having a down year.(4-6) Still, it was a D6 beating a D1.
After the game I'm walking back to my truck and I overhear a fellow from Delphos on a cellphone talking about winning the game. The person on the other end must have asked if he was serious. I'll always remember his reply, "As serious as a heart attack".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GX
In 2006 DSJ visited Worthington Kilbourne in the opening game of the season and won 28-12. Kilbourne was a D1 school. I think they were having a down year.(4-6) Still, it was a D6 beating a D1.
After the game I'm walking back to my truck and I overhear a fellow from Delphos on a cellphone talking about winning the game. The person on the other end must have asked if he was serious. I'll always remember his reply, "As serious as a heart attack".

DSJ had lost 21 starters from the previous years state champ team and finished 6-4. Kilbourne lost a bunch of starters off a Div I 2nd round playoff team the year before. It was pretty apparent many at Kilbourne had no respect for Div 6 DSJ and expected to roll over them easily.

DSJ had lost 21 starters from the previous years state champ team and finished 6-4. Kilbourne lost a bunch of starters off a Div I 2nd round playoff team the year before. It was pretty apparent many at Kilbourne had no respect for Div 6 DSJ and expected to roll over them easily.
As I recall Kilbourne scored first, and as you say, expected to roll over DSJ.

Back in college, I lived in a house of Minster, Coldwater, St. Henry and Versailles guys. It was not unusual for any of us to bring gallons of tap water from home to drink instead of Cincinnati city water.

There appear to be many non-MAC schools in D-VI and D-VII that have rather small d backs, linebackers, and skill players, yet huge linemen playing at 230 and up. It's like these schools have few 180-220 lb guys who can move well.

Conversely, it seems as if MAC rosters are filled with such 180-220 lb players - they might make up 9 of the 11 starters on both sides of the ball. They're usually bigger than the opposition's d backs, linebackers, and skill players, and thus fairly often win those individual battles. And while they're typically smaller on the line than the foe's giants, they're more athletic and have better endurance - so they win many of those battles too.

Anyone else notice this?

Back in college, I lived in a house of Minster, Coldwater, St. Henry and Versailles guys. It was not unusual for any of us to bring gallons of tap water from home to drink instead of Cincinnati city water.
yes , but out of a Farm well...... in town water doesn't count

There are a few towns in Greater Cincinnati that also have well water (not individual farm wells— but municipal wells) rather than getting their water from the City of Cincinnati (which draws from the Ohio River)— e.g.- Lockland, Wyoming...Forest Park used to have its own well sources... sorry for the digression into water sources and quality, but you all brought it up...

The country well water is not processed. Those towns that pull water from wells still travel through the water treatment plant.

There appear to be many non-MAC schools in D-VI and D-VII that have rather small d backs, linebackers, and skill players, yet huge linemen playing at 230 and up. It's like these schools have few 180-220 lb guys who can move well.

Conversely, it seems as if MAC rosters are filled with such 180-220 lb players - they might make up 9 of the 11 starters on both sides of the ball. They're usually bigger than the opposition's d backs, linebackers, and skill players, and thus fairly often win those individual battles. And while they're typically smaller on the line than the foe's giants, they're more athletic and have better endurance - so they win many of those battles too.

Anyone else notice this?

Yes. I absolutely notice it. I'll say it on a politically correct way but you don't see many kids on MAC teams who can't run.

Unfortunately, you see a lot of lineman across the state who struggle to run because of their size.

Look at the MAC team pictures when they are posted online. All of the kids look to be in shape.

The country well water is not processed. Those towns that pull water from wells still travel through the water treatment plant.
True— those towns do have a town water plant, that processes the water— because they have certain municipal water quality standards that they have to meet... they have federal and/or state water quality inspectors that come in every year, and test their water output— that’s not happening with ”country well water’....

This whole thing like that Kentucky legend about why thoroughbred race horses bred in Kentucky are superior to those from other parts of the country— the limestone underpinning the soil allows calcium (lime?) to leach into the bluegrass— which the horses eat in the pasture land of Kentucky— resulting in greater strength in the (super thin) leg bones of Kentucky raised thoroughbreds...now, we’re to believe that Western Ohio’s German-American farm boys grow bigger, sturdier, more robust— because of those extra minerals that leach into the well water of those country/farm wells... :unsure: ;)

Anyone else notice this?
I do think people also dismiss the genuinely great skill players that come out of the league. There are many with the opinion that the league has good athletes for a small division schools, but not elite. I was thinking about the QB talent to go through ML during Goodwin’s tenure and it’s really impressive:

Two D1 Power Five Recruits
One D3 National Player of the Year Finalist
One D1 FCS Player
One MLB Starting Pitcher

I do think people also dismiss the genuinely great skill players that come out of the league. There are many with the opinion that the league has good athletes for a small division schools, but not elite. I was thinking about the QB talent to go through ML during Goodwin’s tenure and it’s really impressive:

Two D1 Power Five Recruits
One D3 National Player of the Year Finalist
One D1 FCS Player
One MLB Starting Pitcher
Who were the FCS and D3 QBs?

True— those towns do have a town water plant, that processes the water— because they have certain municipal water quality standards that they have to meet... they have federal and/or state water quality inspectors that come in every year, and test their water output— that’s not happening with ”country well water’....

This whole thing like that Kentucky legend about why thoroughbred race horses bred in Kentucky are superior to those from other parts of the country— the limestone underpinning the soil allows calcium (lime?) to leach into the bluegrass— which the horses eat in the pasture land of Kentucky— resulting in greater strength in the (super thin) leg bones of Kentucky raised thoroughbreds...now, we’re to believe that Western Ohio’s German-American farm boys grow bigger, sturdier, more robust— because of those extra minerals that leach into the well water of those country/farm wells... :unsure: ;)
Sounds like a good science fair project.