Honoring Career Wins

brice1893

Our school is honoring past and present wrestlers that have had stellar careers and are currently looking at what number of appropriate matches won in a career should you have to get on banner on the board. . If your school has something hanging up in the gym doing the same, what amount of total wins do you celebrate?

We have a board in our wrestling room that shows 100 career wins listed by winning percentage. This gives the respect to the wrestlers from the past that didn't have the opportunity to wrestle 150+ matches in a career.

105 wins 92.9%
117 wins 88.7%
153 wins 82.5%
141 wins 82.5%
117 wins 81.9%
127 wins 80.4% down to 100 wins 64.9%

Our school is honoring past and present wrestlers that have had stellar careers and are currently looking at what number of appropriate matches won in a career should you have to get on banner on the board. . If your school has something hanging up in the gym doing the same, what amount of total wins do you celebrate?
In other words your school is recognizing 106 lb freshman because they are the ones who get four years as varsity wrestlers. I’m way more impressed with a state champion HWT than I am with some 14 year old “varsity” starter who gets 20 wins and a head start to 100.

In other words your school is recognizing 106 lb freshman because they are the ones who get four years as varsity wrestlers. I’m way more impressed with a state champion HWT than I am with some 14 year old “varsity” starter who gets 20 wins and a head start to 100.
I don't think the school is honoring anyone to impress you. It's just something nice to do. It doesn't hurt any other person, diminish someone else's achievement...

But to answer the question, we have a board for 100 wins and state qualifiers/placers I'm working on.

Plenty of recent examples that dispute everything you’re saying. A kids size entering high school has nothing to do with their talent level and takes nothing away from their accomplishments.

boro has 80 kids ranked between 106, 113 and 120 in D1. 31 are upperclassmen, nearly half. Of those 31 only 8 are in the top 8. Does that really make someone who started their career at 106 illegitimate?

David Taylor, Lance Palmer and Hunter Steiber must be illegitimate.

Last edited:
Just wondering why that would be? You can only beat whomever steps on the mat with you. Why would age impact that?

Plenty of recent examples that dispute everything you’re saying. A kids size entering high school has nothing to do with their talent level and takes nothing away from their accomplishments.

boro has 80 kids ranked between 106, 113 and 120 in D1. 31 are upperclassmen, nearly half. Of those 31 only 8 are in the top 8. Does that really make someone who started their career at 106 illegitimate?

David Taylor, Lance Palmer and Hunter Steiber must be illegitimate.
Name the last senior to win at the lowest two weight classes. In states allowing middle schoolers to compete at the varsity level many 106 champs are 8th graders!

I just think total wins are a poor way to honor the best wrestlers. It’s lightweight bias.

106 is a middle school weight. It should not even be contested at the varsity level.
What a sh*tty comment. Wrestling gets enough crap from outside the sport. Why would anyone, who really cares about the sport, want something taken away.

What a narrow minded look at something.

Its one of the few sports small guys get a chance to excell. Especially at the bigger schools. They never get to play football and many other sports.

Last edited:
Its one of the few sports small guys get a chance to excell. Especially at the bigger schools. They never get to play football and many other sports.
This. Larger people have an advantage in EVERY sport other than wrestling. That includes even "non-contact" sports such as tennis, golf, baseball, soccer, swimming, etc. I understand being less enamored with "total wins" than with, say, SQ or SP results. But for christ's sake, let the smaller athletes have ONE place to compete.

Name the last senior to win at the lowest two weight classes. In states allowing middle schoolers to compete at the varsity level many 106 champs are 8th graders!

I just think total wins are a poor way to honor the best wrestlers. It’s lightweight bias.
Maybe not the last, but: Zach Shupp, Fairfield( D1- 106#, 2018); Marion Yarbrough, Copley( D2- 113#, 2021); Jacob Decatur, CVCA( D2- 113#, 2019); Brakan Mead, Olentangy Liberty( D1- 113#, 2017); Josh Venia, Toledo Central Catholic( D2- 106#, 2016); Ana Abdujelil, Whithall Yearling( D2- 113#, 2016); Hayden Lee, Marysville( D1- 113#, 2014); Sebastian Vidika, Sullivan Black River( D3- 106#, 2014); Christian Clay, Dayton Christian( D3- 113#, 2014); Aaron Assad, Brecksville Broad. Heights( D1- 113#, 2013); I could keep going.....

Last edited:
This is the reason I hate social media and message boards… a simple question was asked and it turned into a “debate”. Is 100 wins the same as it was in 1980? No. But it should still be recognized. A team’s history should be displayed to give respect to the wrestlers that came before us and to give inspiration to the next crop (that’s why we went with the order by winning percentage). It has nothing to do with weight class or state placement. We have a wrestle with over 100 wins that didn’t make it to the state tournament. His senior year he was in a sectional with 4 top five finishers at the state level…He got 5th. That’s the way the sport goes. It’s not so much about how good you are but how good your competition is. He recorded 100+ wins and is a proud member of our history. Anyone that does this sport for 4 years at the high school has my respect regardless of record or accomplishments.

I wrestled 103 as a frosh and weighed 98lbs so I roll my eyes at that comment.
There were legit state Champs that could toss around and maul good kids at the 125lb level.
The logic that 106 is a middle school weight doesn't make sense.
Agreed. I forget the exact stat but roughly half of the senior level men's freestyle team wrestled the lightest weight class at some point in their high school career (hint - Dake and Taylor were two of them).

This guy is looking for a nice way to honor the career accomplishments of kids, and you think it's OK to s h*t on that?

WTF is wrong with you?

Last edited:
If the career win count is lightweight biased, then I would think we'd have to NOT count all the forfeits the heavy guys get because that is also biasing the career wins in their favor. Forfeits should not count as wins when considering career victories. Stop claiming victory for simply making weight and passing skin check.

I do like career wins because it adds an element of sustained success, but I also like other metrics like takedowns, tech falls, pins and winning percentage. For you math wizards out there, who can develop a quick mathematical model that takes all of these metrics (weighted, of course) into consideration?

We don't have much at Fenwick but we do have 189 pounder Marty Austing winning over 100 matches. I'm fine with counting 106 because some of the best wrestlers in OH history started at 106. But we do have to recognize the guys who were middle-heavyweight the whole way through

100 wins, 150 wins, state qualifiers, state placers, are all pretty common and are great ways to honor your wrestlers. We also display flags from all the colleges that our wrestlers have gone on to wrestler for. We even have a place for the records of exercises we do during practice like most pullups. Are they all presented the same, of course not. But any way you can honor the past and give goals to the future wrestlers is great.