Hoban's Tim Tyrrell to the University of Akron?

What sane D1 FBS coach would take this job? That's why they settled for Arth.
Agreed. I wasn't clear. I meant a guy who could be an FBS level coach, not a current decent coach. I'm thinking about an up and comer coordinator. KSU sure did it with Lewis and I am hoping UA could, but given their history I am not holding my breath.

If they up the salary range I can think of 3 Great Prospects.
Al Washington LB Coach Ohio State
Ja’Juan Seider RB Coach Penn St
Gerad Parker OC WVU
I think it would take 650k minimum for any of the 3.
All are young and there all solid football coaches with a ton of upside.

If they up the salary range I can think of 3 Great Prospects.
Al Washington LB Coach Ohio State
Ja’Juan Seider RB Coach Penn St
Gerad Parker OC WVU
I think it would take 650k minimum for any of the 3.
All are young and there all solid football coaches with a ton of upside.
Linebackers coach Al Washington received a salary bump of $85,000. This takes his 2021 salary to $600,000. Interestingly, it was reported that Washington was offered a seven-figure deal to become the defensive coordinator at Tennessee earlier this offseason but turned it down to remain with the Scarlet and Gray, despite not receiving nearly the same salary number.

Linebackers coach Al Washington received a salary bump of $85,000. This takes his 2021 salary to $600,000. Interestingly, it was reported that Washington was offered a seven-figure deal to become the defensive coordinator at Tennessee earlier this offseason but turned it down to remain with the Scarlet and Gray, despite not receiving nearly the same salary number.
You are correct. However for anyone of the 3 the UA job could be a a Juggernaut
to a Big Big Job. Become a HC@UA & Flip the Program. Couple years and they would get a Golden Ticket to
Millionaires Row..

In my opinion, the one coach that I would go all in to get right now if I was Akron's athletic director would be Luke Getsy. He coached in the SEC and is the current QB coach and passing coordinator for the Green Bay Packers. He's also an Akron graduate and the current Akron athletic director has a strong relationship with Mark Murphy, the CEO/president of the Green Bay Packers.

I'll be interested to see if Getsy has any interest in this job right now, especially with Aaron Rodgers maybe being on his way out after this season? Just a matter if he thinks he can get an OC job or a bigger college job, but might be hard for him to turn down his alma mater if he can turn it around, get a bigger job, and then maybe an NFL head coaching job. He might just stay in NFL though.

You are correct. However for anyone of the 3 the UA job could be a a Juggernaut
to a Big Big Job. Become a HC@UA & Flip the Program. Couple years and they would get a Golden Ticket to
Millionaires Row..
I think all 3 are smart enough to realize there won’t be any “flipping of the program” at UA.
Washington turned down a million a year to go to TN, no way he goes to Akron.

UofA tried the end of career coaches already. High School to College head coaches are extremely rare. This is one time that it actually might make sense. Akron needs to catch lightning in a bottle or things will continue like this indefinitely.

UofA tried the end of career coaches already. High School to College head coaches are extremely rare. This is one time that it actually might make sense. Akron needs to catch lightning in a bottle or things will continue like this indefinitely.
I agree, might put more fans in the seats at least for a year or 2. Unless there is some young college coordinator out there with a decent resume and ties to NE Ohio.

I think all 3 are smart enough to realize there won’t be any “flipping of the program” at UA.
Washington turned down a million a year to go to TN, no way he goes to Akron.
I Couldn’t disagree more. Akron has nothing but upside. Smack dab in the Middle
of High School Football Mecca. Good facilities. Great Stadium. Just need a Leader that
Can recruit and knows how to win. All 3 want to be HC. Got to walk before you can Run.

Reactions: y2h
Great Point. These AD’s today especially new ones got some Big Big Egos. They generally know Zero about
There Big 3 Sports. UA was crazy to fire Bowden. Now this new AD is obviously Greener than a Bean Sprout.
Should have kept Arth. Maybe they should go get Doc Holliday former head coach at Marshall.
85-54 in 11Seasons went 6-2 in Bowl games. This was another unexplainable firing. His replacement is suspect best case scenario.
Akron should absolutely give Doc Holliday the job if he wants it. He had some solid teams at Marshall with Rakeem Cato and Chase Litton.

In my opinion, the one coach that I would go all in to get right now if I was Akron's athletic director would be Luke Getsy. He coached in the SEC and is the current QB coach and passing coordinator for the Green Bay Packers. He's also an Akron graduate and the current Akron athletic director has a strong relationship with Mark Murphy, the CEO/president of the Green Bay Packers.

I'll be interested to see if Getsy has any interest in this job right now, especially with Aaron Rodgers maybe being on his way out after this season? Just a matter if he thinks he can get an OC job or a bigger college job, but might be hard for him to turn down his alma mater if he can turn it around, get a bigger job, and then maybe an NFL head coaching job. He might just stay in NFL though.
Don't forget that Charlie Frye is a big time coach as well

Considering he may be gone at the end of the season from OSU, could Kerry Coombs be a name? Great recruiter and he might be itching to see what he can do as a head coach.

I would also have Luke Getsy at the top of my list though.

Don't forget that Charlie Frye is a big time coach as well
In my opinion, Getsy has more experience and I think he should be more of a priority to try and get than Frye at this moment. Right now, Akron should start with Getsy and see where it goes. If Getsy is lukewarm about it or doesn't want it, then Frye will be on a short list of names that should be called next to gauge interest.

Akron very tough place to recruit period…Facilities are not very good overall and the location not great either as far as bringing in top-flight talent from the south. You are recruiting the same kids as programs like Coastal Carolina and App State And I don’t believe you are going to win many of those battles especially after factoring in The lack of tradition at Akron. Players want to win…….Tough job for anyone…Not going to get many from the transfer portal either in Akron Ohio… Just My opinion of course.
I disagree without just about everything you said. Other than that, spot on.

1. Facilities are not Akron's issue.

2. What MAC school is bringing in "top-flight talent" from the South? Hell, top-flight talent from anywhere. This isn't the Big 10/SEC.

3. Of course they are recruiting very little of the same kids as Coastal Carolina or Appalachian State. Plus, not really sure why they are the comps either. At least Appalachian State has had some sustained success, but not like either them or Coastal Carolina are some historical juggernauts. Again, this isn't the Big 10/SEC in terms of recruiting budgets.

4. Will agree that it's a tough place to win since they have had very little success. But since 2005 Akron has actually played in more MAC title games than Toledo (Toledo is a way better program, plays in the tougher division of the MAC, but it's actually factual for me to say that, lol).

5. The last Akron team to make it to the MAC title game (2017 ... and circa the Terry Bowden glory couple of years), Akron had a ton of P5 transfers (Tyreek Hill was one of them, but the school denied his admission). That was before the portal, so those guys for the most part (a were couple granted waivers for immediate eligibility) actually had to sit out a year before suiting up for the mighty Blue and Gold.

Last edited:
I Couldn’t disagree more. Akron has nothing but upside. Smack dab in the Middle
of High School Football Mecca. Good facilities. Great Stadium. Just need a Leader that
Can recruit and knows how to win. All 3 want to be HC. Got to walk before you can Run.
They need binoculars to even sniff "upside". Yes in the middle of high school mecca and can't land a damn one of the stars. This is a train wreck.

Is Tyrell going to run the stacked I formation should he miraculously make this move?

In the era of spread offenses it would be a crazy throwback.

I never understood why Akron U is soooo bad Summit County has so much talent hell even stark county has a unreal amount of talent but i never see local kids really go to Akron

TT should go for it. He cant accomplish much more at the HS level. He has his rings. He should try to take the challenge and see if he can make anything of it. He already knows how to recruit and bring kids in, he would just have to make the skill transition to the college level.

If it doesn't work out. I'm sure there would be a line of HS programs waiting for him. He wouldn't be standing at the unemployment line.

TT should go for it. He cant accomplish much more at the HS level. He has his rings. He should try to take the challenge and see if he can make anything of it. He already knows how to recruit and bring kids in, he would just have to make the skill transition to the college level.

If it doesn't work out. I'm sure there would be a line of HS programs waiting for him. He wouldn't be standing at the unemployment line.
That was my point too RB27 in the OP. Nothing left to accomplish at the HS level. But the only thing to know who be - would he truly be on the Zips' administration's radar and would they give him a call?

And I agree, if he would land at Akron and subsequently flame out - I could count on one hand the number of seconds he would be out of work before landing another plum HS job - if he would want it.

But to follow up on another point mentioned - Stark, Summit, Cuyahoga and Mahoning counties are LOADED with HS talent on a perennial basis. If the Zips go the HS to college route, why not grab one of the most recently successful high school coaches in the epicenter of all that talent?

That was my point too RB27 in the OP. Nothing left to accomplish at the HS level. But the only thing to know who be - would he truly be on the Zips' administration's radar and would they give him a call?

And I agree, if he would land at Akron and subsequently flame out - I could count on one hand the number of seconds he would be out of work before landing another plum HS job - if he would want it.

But to follow up on another point mentioned - Stark, Summit, Cuyahoga and Mahoning counties are LOADED with HS talent on a perennial basis. If the Zips go the HS to college route, why not grab one of the most recently successful high school coaches in the epicenter of all that talent?
Now THIS makes a lot of sense.

There is no way Coach T is the next HC at Akron, and anyone who believes so has no idea how DI college athletics work. There is a BIG difference between getting an interview at a university you played at AND your former coach is now the president of the university and getting an FBS shot.

There are plenty of up and coming coaches out there who would love the opportunity to make a name for themselves at Akron. Hubris is a big part of the job, all you need to do is look at recruiting to see this. This AD is looking to make a splash and hiring a HS coach, regardless of how much success he has had, is not the splash he is looking for.

Graveyard type job, nothing seems to have worked; both the old coot, Bowden, or the up and coming young guy, Arth. Maybe they should be like the NFL and hire an Ivy Leaguer that is all in on analytics to run the operation. Work the waiver wir I mean the transfer portal for hidden gems that don't pass the look test but have "won" on the field and build a program that way.