High School Football Pet Peeves?

OHSAA says that players safety is the #1 priority yet they don't allow the QB to throw the ball away when out of the pocket. Unlike College and Pros, the receiver has to be within 10 yards of the throw i believe. This creates a situation (more for non-running QBs) where they are faced with making a bad/risky throw or running it and getting blasted.
OHSAA has zero to do with the HS intentional grounding rule.

And you won't find a "10 yard" rule anywhere, at any level.

Not to go too homer but the best HS PA guy I have heard is the Benny one. A couple things he does that I have not heard from others is calling out linemen names after the play, you got to like giving a little love for the guys in the trenches. But his best bit is doing High School football trivia during breaks in the action, they are usually tough questions too. The old timers love this kind of stuff and I have seen many refs yell answers from the field. He also drops in general trivia question for the era that the HS question is from.

My favorite PA announcer was the man at Massillon in the 90's. Terrific. The best ones are those who are minimalists. Some are just frustrated radio announcers.

Maybe if we showed more support to the bands at halftime, band parents would be more encouraged to support the team during the game. The fans often run to the concession stand during halftime or talk so loudly it's impossible to hear the bands perform.

Football games are community events. You either support all of the kids or none of the kids (football, band, cheerleaders, dance team, mascots, ROTC, etc). You can't have it both ways.

No offense, but i come to a football game to watch football. When there's a break in the game I use that time to hit the head and get a snack so i don't miss any football. I also give my money to the other groups that support the football team/game night experience, but they aren't my reason for being there on friday night.

OHSAA has zero to do with the HS intentional grounding rule.

And you won't find a "10 yard" rule anywhere, at any level.

If OHSAA doesn't then who does? I've seen it called numerous times in HS games over the last 3 years, so are they just making it up or is it some unwritten rule?

I HATE the holding rule as applied in HS football in Ohio. 10 yards from the spot of the foul, instead of the line of scrimmage. A holding penalty on a pass play could be a 17 yard penalty. It is absurd...esp when there is some form of holding on virtually every play and is a judgement call by the official (in every level of football). Go to 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, the way God intended it.

man, I hate that one

If OHSAA doesn't then who does? I've seen it called numerous times in HS games over the last 3 years, so are they just making it up or is it some unwritten rule?
The NFHS, not the OHSAA, writes the playing rules for HS sports. The OHSAA only makes adoptions where the NFHS allows (running clock, overtime format, etc.).

Every single state that plays by NFHS rules (all but Texas) has the same intentional grounding rule. If HS coaches really wanted this rule changed they would push harder for it. Right now, it’s a solution in search of a problem.

OHSAA says that players safety is the #1 priority yet they don't allow the QB to throw the ball away when out of the pocket. Unlike College and Pros, the receiver has to be within 10 yards of the throw i believe. This creates a situation (more for non-running QBs) where they are faced with making a bad/risky throw or running it and getting blasted.

Direct your angst towards the NFHS, not the OHSAA.

To this point it has not been an issue, therefore the Rules Committe(s) have not....

1) Been presented with a proposed rule change
2) Been presented with stastical data that shows the lack of the rule is a direct result to injury

Once either (or both) have happened, then the Committee will consider changing the rule.

Edit : Sorry zebra, was typing my response when you posted yours.

When fans not from the area complain about us being a Catholic school.
The towns name is St. Henry, our schools name is St. Henry.

I HATE the holding rule as applied in HS football in Ohio. 10 yards from the spot of the foul, instead of the line of scrimmage. A holding penalty on a pass play could be a 17 yard penalty. It is absurd...esp when there is some form of holding on virtually every play and is a judgement call by the official (in every level of football). Go to 10 yards from the line of scrimmage, the way God intended it.

man, I hate that one

And again, when enough coaches prove the case for it to be changed, it will be discussed.

BTW, It has been brought to discussion in the past, but hasn't been supported by the coaches.

Zebra,
You have mentioned several times "your crew". What is your feeling on having crews that work together during the year officiate play-off games rather than the "all star" crews?

No offense, but i come to a football game to watch football. When there's a break in the game I use that time to hit the head and get a snack so i don't miss any football. I also give my money to the other groups that support the football team/game night experience, but they aren't my reason for being there on friday night.

That's fine. My point is just that we can't be upset with band parents who are there to watch the band and not football if we're there to watch football and not the band. They're buying a ticket and supporting athletics. I can't be to be too upset with them.

If we all supported each other, I think we'd find larger crowds and a more supportive environment on Friday nights.

Zebra,
You have mentioned several times "your crew". What is your feeling on having crews that work together during the year officiate play-off games rather than the "all star" crews?

My $.02.... I think crews would be better.

Now the following facts that make crew assignments almost impossible......

First, eligibility to work tournament games is based on the final ratings process (for whatever that's worth) from the prior year. With the turnover in crew personnel from year to year you cannot guarantee that an entire crew will be intact.

Next, proportional representation from each district pool of officials is a roadblock. Pure mathematics prevent entire crews from being assigned 100% of the time.

How do you know the Officials don’t know where to stand if you have never been trained how to Officiate Football yourself? You just another know it all guy that really knows nothing? That’s definitely a pet peeve of mine!

I'd love to see where he'd place each official when we have a free kick after a fair catch, followed by where each official progresses to once the ball is kicked.... (along with 20 other potential starting positions depending on what's about to happen)

Last edited:
There were 2-3 PI inside the end zone in last years Massillon/Louisville game. Massillon knew Louisville wasn’t going to run the ball. The way the current rule is written I say it’s smart defense.
I’d like to see an official award a TD in a situation like that....the proverbial would hit the fan so to speak, especially if there isn’t a warning.
You guys aren’t very good at your job the way it is. Giving another judgement call would make it worse.
First and goal ball at the 1.
If there were repeated DPI in the endzone, then I would think an equitable thing to do would be to award a first and goal ball at the 1. If it was very late in the game and the defense is trying to waste the clock, then another equitable thing to do would be to add time back on the clock. The "unjust act" would have to be really blatant to award a score... think of the player coming off the bench to tackle a runner who has clearly broken away for a score (which has happened, by the way).

As with many of the towns in the area, public vs. Catholic school is a distinction without a difference.
Well I mean ya lol. We were all catholic, and by a weird technicality did go to religion class during the school day.
But totally not a Catholic school lol.

Edit: I should say that by "during the school day" I meant only once a week, usually Fridays.

If there were repeated DPI in the endzone, then I would think an equitable thing to do would be to award a first and goal ball at the 1. If it was very late in the game and the defense is trying to waste the clock, then another equitable thing to do would be to add time back on the clock. The "unjust act" would have to be really blatant to award a score... think of the player coming off the bench to tackle a runner who has clearly broken away for a score (which has happened, by the way).

There is no support by rule to do any of this.

The games will revert to chaos if officials levy penalties based on what they think "is fair".

I really dislike the dirty stuff being played at the games.
Another thing with music that I find hilarious is when I am at a game that has 99.99999% white players and fans but the music being played is so rap stuff, that nobody has a clue to who it is or what they are saying.
White middle aged adults may not listen to rap as a whole, you may be surprised how many white kids listen to rap. I'll bet whoever is in charge of music at these games has the finger on the pulse of the student body.

Now about R rated music. Are we talking F bombs over the speakers? Or suggestive sexual lyrics? Or 'damn' and 'hell' in the songs?

Zebra,
It really isn't feasible for the reasons AS12 mentioned. Policies at the OHSAA level would have to change before it could even be brought to the table, starting with the rating system.

Also, on some crews you may have wide discrepancies in experience. I know an official who worked a state final last year and his crew had a retirement; they replaced him with someone who just became a Class 1. He's a good young official but likely not ready for playoff football yet.

As it relates to the quality of officiating in the playoffs, I really don't think it would make that big of a difference. I strongly believe that good officials can work with anyone, and with the Gold Book mechanics it really should never be problematic to work with "different" crewmates. The "my crew/my association does it this way" line of thinking has largely gone out the window in the past 5-10 years; that was one of the goals of rolling out the Gold Book. People would complain just as much, IMO.

Thank you for the clarification about the NFHS rule, AllSports and Zebra. Good stuff. Kind of makes you wonder why College and Pros are different if this relates to a safety concern.

Thank you for the clarification about the NFHS rule, AllSports and Zebra. Good stuff. Kind of makes you wonder why College and Pros are different if this relates to a safety concern.
The rule allowing the ball to be thrown away outside the tackle box at the higher levels is not a matter of safety. The powers-that-be (college coaches, NFL stakeholders) wanted their QBs to be able to ground the ball legally and avoid a foul, so they wrote the exception into the rules.

The NFHS tries to keep "exceptions" in the rules to a minimum, for good reason. Unfortunately, many HS fans (and coaches) simply don't realize that between the three major codes (NFHS, NCAA, NFL) there are somewhere between 200 and 300 differences.

There is no support by rule to do any of this.

The games will revert to chaos if officials levy penalties based on what they think "is fair".
So what penalty do you think is equitable for violations of rule 9-10-2, "No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line." No specific penalties are given in either the rule book or the case book except for the phases "the referee enforces any penalty he/she considers equitable, including the award of a score" and "Repeated fouls - the game may be forfeited". We had a discussion about this particular rule at a local meeting a few years ago and there wasn't really a consensus.

White middle aged adults may not listen to rap as a whole, you may be surprised how many white kids listen to rap. I'll bet whoever is in charge of music at these games has the finger on the pulse of the student body.

Now about R rated music. Are we talking F bombs over the speakers? Or suggestive sexual lyrics? Or 'damn' and 'hell' in the songs?
I have heard both a certain games and for the record I too listen to a tiny bit of rap but never mistake it for music.

So what penalty do you think is equitable for violations of rule 9-10-2, "No team shall repeatedly commit fouls which halve the distance to the goal line." No specific penalties are given in either the rule book or the case book except for the phases "the referee enforces any penalty he/she considers equitable, including the award of a score" and "Repeated fouls - the game may be forfeited". We had a discussion about this particular rule at a local meeting a few years ago and there wasn't really a consensus.

I'm assuming you mean 9-9-2... Unfair Acts. The purpose of this rule is meant to cover things otherwise not covered in the rules.

For this discussion, define repeatedly. (How many times?)

Then we can get into the discussion of who interfered, how did they interfere... etc.

When referees spot the ball after a play, then after the next play (such as an incomplete pass), they spot the ball somewhere completely different.

Or when referees are making off a penalty and only assess 9 yards instead of 10.

It really isn't feasible for the reasons AS12 mentioned. Policies at the OHSAA level would have to change before it could even be brought to the table, starting with the rating system.

Also, on some crews you may have wide discrepancies in experience. I know an official who worked a state final last year and his crew had a retirement; they replaced him with someone who just became a Class 1. He's a good young official but likely not ready for playoff football yet.

As it relates to the quality of officiating in the playoffs, I really don't think it would make that big of a difference. I strongly believe that good officials can work with anyone, and with the Gold Book mechanics it really should never be problematic to work with "different" crewmates. The "my crew/my association does it this way" line of thinking has largely gone out the window in the past 5-10 years; that was one of the goals of rolling out the Gold Book. People would complain just as much, IMO.
Thanks guys, that explains a lot more than just the names in the program.