Here we go... Entire North Olmsted team placed in quarantine after one player tests positive

And FWIW, I'd like to know if people I've interacted with have been directly exposed to COVID. Not even for my own safety, but for the safety of others who may be high risk that I may have to interact with. The vulnerable and those who have to interact with the vulnerable can't take reasonable precautions and protect themselves without that kind of information.
IF you were concerned about this virus you would not be interacting with people. You would stay home and when absolutely necessary you would still keep your social distance.

IF you were concerned about this virus you would not be interacting with people. You would stay home and when absolutely necessary you would still keep your social distance.
Again, that’s not always feasible. Just because you’re taking precautions doesn’t mean others are.

a nice theory. You going to park your kids in the garage? I'm starting to hear stories of middle aged, getting it from the kid (presumably but timing being what it is...) And those parents are going through a hell. Every description is "worst pain I've felt..." And now long term burn from the stuff?

Since I still have no personal connection to a case, until otherwise I'm holding onto the theory that it's all made up to bring down a president, give teachers pay for sitting at home and destroy the lives of high school senior football players.

Masks? We ain't got no Masks! We don't need no Masks! I don't have to show you any stinking Masks!

What could POSSIBLY happen next? lol

a nice theory. You going to park your kids in the garage? I'm starting to hear stories of middle aged, getting it from the kid (presumably but timing being what it is...) And those parents are going through a hell. Every description is "worst pain I've felt..." And now long term burn from the stuff?

Since I still have no personal connection to a case, until otherwise I'm holding onto the theory that it's all made up to bring down a president, give teachers pay for sitting at home and destroy the lives of high school senior football players.

What could POSSIBLY happen next? lol
The theory is that you can avoid it. Have you ever avoided the flu? have you ever had a cold? Many have the feeling this is unavoidable so you chose how you live.

There's another reason why the "but what if a football player becomes exposed and then infects his grandma?" argument is somewhat weak.

What has the family been doing for the past 6 months?

It's not like the kid's participation in football means that his risk of exposure has suddenly gone from zero (for the past 182 days!) to a significant chance of infection now that football scrimmages and games are imminent. How has the family dealt with covid protection up to this point? Keep doing what's been working. And if the family decides the risk is too great, then the kid doesn't play (truly sad, but a reality the virus has forced upon us).

No one is in any way forcing any player, coach, or fan to participate - a person may easily stay away if he/she wants. Conversely, no one should be forcing anyone to not participate. We should have the right to choose.
If you contracts it now, in-person school and sports are the most likely new variables for a potential source.

That is what this thread is about, high school football players. We have already been over the fact that high school kids getting it and spreading it is not a valid reason not to play football. Not to mention, not likely to even happen. You are just choosing to ignore the facts, because emotion makes you feel better about yourself. Then since you are armed with no facts you resort to insults and strawman arguments. Good work! (y)

Hmmm. Someone talking about facts. I want football more than you probably. In fact, I've already seen four games this season.

But I'm not foolish enough to think this is some sham to prevent football from being played.

And yes, this is a football forum and no there isn't a consensus on if players spreading it is a non issue (your bias is showing). But because this is a football forum and the topic is football players spreading it it Does belong in this forum and on this thread.

The theory is that you can avoid it. Have you ever avoided the flu? have you ever had a cold? Many have the feeling this is unavoidable so you chose how you live.

No I have never avoided the flu. How do you even do that? Shoot the little virus buggers when they cross the doorstep? pew pew...

I'm not sure what your last sentence intends. Are you saying "be safe out there?" Yeah, ok. I agree.

Hmmm. Someone talking about facts. I want football more than you probably. In fact, I've already seen four games this season.

But I'm not foolish enough to think this is some sham to prevent football from being played.

And yes, this is a football forum and no there isn't a consensus on if players spreading it is a non issue (your bias is showing). But because this is a football forum and the topic is football players spreading it it Does belong in this forum and on this thread.
Your desire to watch high school football relative to mine, is not relevant, and only further displays how you impart emotion into this argument.

There are multiple studies showing that kids don't spread it, as adults. And this makes sense, as they are likely to be asymptomatic, which means they have a very low viral load, hence less they can impart on someone else.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19

Again, why can't your family members protect themselves?

We've reached the point of circular arguments. We've gone over this. You can only protect you and yours so much. My mask does more to protect you from me, but isn't as effective in protecting me from you, as an example. At some point, we all have to rely on each other to make good decisions.

Not talking about the mortality rate of football players. Talking about the fact they can have it and live while spreading it around to others who might not.
This has already happened without football. I don't think football being played has any impact on what you said above.

We've gone over this. You can only protect you and yours so much. My mask does more to protect you from me, but isn't as effective in protecting me from you,
That makes no sense what so ever. My N95 mask protects me, that is the way it is designed. But even if what you say is true. How are your family members at risk from high school football players? Wouldn't your kids who are playing football wear masks around their relatives who are at risk?

We've reached the point of circular arguments. We've gone over this. You can only protect you and yours so much. My mask does more to protect you from me, but isn't as effective in protecting me from you, as an example. At some point, we all have to rely on each other to make good decisions.
Social distancing is way more effective if you want to protect yourself. Don't like my lack of mask, stay at least 6 feet away.

Social distancing is way more effective if you want to protect yourself. Don't like my lack of mask, stay at least 6 feet away.

And what if the person not wearing a mask starts coming within six feet of others even if they are attempting to maintain their distance? I see this everyday at my work. My office is closed to the public and everyone entering is required to wear a mask, but everyday we still get several people who stumble in past all the closed and mask required signs like the rules don't apply to them and get right up in the face of the first person they find.

Again, we're all in this together. You can take precautions to protect yourself but we all still rely on each other to make good decisions.

I get that you're a defeatist who just accepts the worst treatment possible by those in charge because that makes you "free", but admitting you let people die just so you can enjoy a football game is beyond repugnant.
That is a greatly unfair accusation.

We all drive fast ... 70+ on the interstate highways ... even though if all Ohio drivers never exceeded 12 mph on any road we'd clearly save a lot of lives.

So would it be fair for anyone to accuse all Ohio drivers of admitting (through our actions of driving fast) that we let people die on our roads just so we can enjoy getting places faster? Of course not!

The let's-get-on-with-living crowd on yappi is not a bunch of self-absorbed, callous people. We care about others, are bothered by the death counts, and are willing to do our part.

But we do not believe that substantially limiting the movement/actions of numerous healthy people is the answer. We're all willing to sacrifice if the sacrifice has a benefit. Quarantining an entire high school football program, made up almost entirely of healthy, covid-free teens and coaches, does not seem like a productive sacrifice. Nor does limiting seating to merely 15% of stadium capacity.

Last edited:
That is a greatly unfair accusation.

We all drive fast ... 70+ on the interstate highways ... even though if all Ohio drivers never exceeded 12 mph on any road we'd clearly save a lot of lives.

So would it be fair for anyone to accuse all Ohio drivers of admitting (through our actions of driving fast) that we let people die on our roads just so we can enjoy getting places faster? Of course not!

The let's-get-on-with-living crowd on yappi is not a bunch of self-absorbed, callous people. We care about others, are bothered by the death counts, and are willing to do our part.

But we do not believe that substantially limiting the movement/actions of numerous healthy people is the answer. We're all willing to sacrifice if the sacrifice has a benefit. Quarantining an entire high school football program, made up almost entirely of healthy, covid-free teens and coaches, does not seem like a productive sacrifice. Nor does limiting seating to merely 15% of stadium capacity.

At the end of day, it's easier to justify proceeding with caution than it is proceeding with "back to normal" too quickly.

FWIW, a lot of the "play ball now" folks clearly don't care about others. Not all. But certainly some. Or they don't believe anybody is at risk and aren't willing to do their part.

And what if the person not wearing a mask starts coming within six feet of others even if they are attempting to maintain their distance? I see this everyday at my work. My office is closed to the public and everyone entering is required to wear a mask, but everyday we still get several people who stumble in past all the closed and mask required signs like the rules don't apply to them and get right up in the face of the first person they find.

Again, we're all in this together. You can take precautions to protect yourself but we all still rely on each other to make good decisions.
Are you being cornered or something? Are they drunk since they are stumbling in? Have you guys tried locking the doors? Sounds like you're being attacked by zombies or something.

Seriously though....you just have to be extra smart in places like grocery stores and work. Especially since you said you have high risk family members. Maybe put a sign up outside of your door or cube explaining this. If I was in a situation like you I wouldn't be afraid to tell people to back away please due to covid. Maybe you get laughed at a little or made fun of....but which is more important to you?

Are you being cornered or something? Are they drunk since they are stumbling in? Have you guys tried locking the doors? Sounds like you're being attacked by zombies or something.

Seriously though....you just have to be extra smart in places like grocery stores and work. Especially since you said you have high risk family members. Maybe put a sign up outside of your door or cube explaining this. If I was in a situation like you I wouldn't be afraid to tell people to back away please due to covid. Maybe you get laughed at a little or made fun of....but which is more important to you?
Two words.

Bubble. Boy.

These people don’t care about others and certainly don’t pay attention to multiple posted signs.

There’s also been no shortage of escalations to violence or people purposefully coughing or spitting on people who have expressed concerns about COVID. We’re regressing as a society in regards to consideration and respect for our fellow man.

These people don’t care about others and certainly don’t pay attention to multiple posted signs.

There’s also been no shortage of escalations to violence or people purposefully coughing or spitting on people who have expressed concerns about COVID. We’re regressing as a society in regards to consideration and respect for our fellow man.
Dude, for your own mental health (and most of the rest of us) - get off the football forum. The Debate forum (http://yappi.com/forum/index.php?forums/debate-forum.71/) would provide you such a tremendous opportunity to "go off" you might even feel better.

They didn't seem to care about others at them protests, and riots too?

No gotcha moment.lol. Just letting you know about the inconsistent government control

Those consistent government controls have names like dictatorship, facism,... I'm not adverse to a little inconsistency, are you? :D

It's a difficult situation, with difficult choices way beyond anyone here has probably ever had to make.

Your desire to watch high school football relative to mine, is not relevant, and only further displays how you impart emotion into this argument.

There are multiple studies showing that kids don't spread it, as adults. And this makes sense, as they are likely to be asymptomatic, which means they have a very low viral load, hence less they can impart on someone else.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19

Fox news is not always the "best" source (rupert owns thetimes.uk)