Heavyweight rules

Butlerco2000

Overheard other parents talking that their son has to not wrestle until he can make weight at 215 . Because if he wrestles at heavyweight he can not go down to 215 . Is this new or even true ?

I don't think it's a true rule. It may be he plans on wrestling 190 by reason's end, he can't wrestle until he hits 215.

I don't think it's a true rule. It may be he plans on wrestling 190 by reason's end, he can't wrestle until he hits 215.
Wrong. Every day during the decent plan there's a lowest weight class a wrestler is eligible to compete in. The athlete can weigh in one class above that weight and not lose eligibility to a lower weight in the future.
So they can weigh in for the 285 class until decent plan says they are eligible to compete at 190. Once that happens they must weigh in for 215 or they will lose ability to wrestle 190 as they continue weight loss plan.

Wrong. Every day during the decent plan there's a lowest weight class a wrestler is eligible to compete in. The athlete can weigh in one class above that weight and not lose eligibility to a lower weight in the future.
So they can weigh in for the 285 class until decent plan says they are eligible to compete at 190. Once that happens they must weigh in for 215 or they will lose ability to wrestle 190 as they continue weight loss plan.
Well-put Smiley. You are correct.

What is the lightest you can weigh and still wrestle heavyweight? I believe last year it was 215 when the weight class was 220.

You are able to wrestle 2 above the weight you want to go . So if you want to get down to 106 you can not wrestle 126. The highest weight you could wrestle would be 120.

You are able to wrestle 2 above the weight you want to go . So if you want to get down to 106 you can not wrestle 126. The highest weight you could wrestle would be 120.
That may be the case in some instances, but that is not the rule. You can weigh in 1 weight class above where you are allowed to be that day. Lets say you have a a kid that weighs 160 at hydration. Week 1 he is allowed to weigh 158, so he goes 165, week 2 he can weigh 154 so he goes 157. If his plan allows him to go down to 138 he could still go down to 138 as long as the plan allows it and he does not weigh 2 weight classes above his plan weight. It has nothing where you want to go, but where you are currently at.

What is the lightest you can weigh and still wrestle heavyweight? I believe last year it was 215 when the weight class was 220.

It is 210 this year. Initially they did not adjust it and then I believe it was pointed out to them and they changed it to 210.

When my son was a freshman, he was eligible to wrestle 120, but often times wrestled 132. To maintain his eligibility for 120, he could not weigh in above 126/128 when he wrestled 132/134. So, in essence, you can wrestle two weight classes up from your lowest weight class, but can only weigh-in one weight class above.

There are two issues being discussed and maybe confused.
One is where you can weigh and wrestle during decent and the other is what you can weigh in and wrestle once your decent plan says you can be or have certified at a weight.

A football player/ wrestler coming in at 180 but can go to 150 can wrestle 190, 175, 165, and 157 as he is losing weight to get to 150 (decent). Provide that is consistent with the plan.

Using same wrestler once he has certified at 150 can only weigh in at 157 to maintain certification for 150. Weighing in at 157 allows him to wrestle 165. Weighing in at 157 would mean greater then 150 (152 after allowance).

Same wrestler hydration says he can go to 150 but is only going to 157 cannot weigh-in above 165 to keep 157 after he certifies at 157.

to he OP he can wrestle heavyweight and still go to 215 provided he is showing progress to 215 and does not get to 215 before allowed. Not sure how progress would be officially documented.

You are right but it's a bit ambiguous. If you told a wrestler or parent this, I could see an instance where they think they could weigh in at 120.

To maintain eligibility for your current day's lowest allowable weight class .....

You are permitted to weigh-in 1 weight class higher than your lowest allowable weight class

You are are permitted to wrestle 1 weight class higher than what you weighed in at

Johnny's lowest allowable weight class (per TW sheet) is 120
Johnny weighs in at 126.0
Johnny wrestles that day at 132

Johnny has legally maintained eligibility for 120.