He Was the Cheese...

When I was in school, we absolutely called him "Cheese" and I always understood it to be because his last name was Doerger (sounds like burger) ie. CheeseBurger?

Not only was he a typing teacher but also our audio-visual expert. Inevitably, at an assembly or all-school gathering, whenever a glitch or blip would happen with the sound/screen, the student body would murmur "Cheeeeeese", meaning, Mr. Doerger had better get involved to fix it. It always brought a smile to my face as did having him as a teacher.

May you RIP Mr. "Cheese" Doerger. Congrats on a life well-lived and thank you for all you did to make Elder a special place. Altiora!

I see he taught at the school for 45 years; does anyone know what years those were? Afraid I've never heard of him until now.

Not only was he a typing teacher but also our audio-visual expert. Inevitably, at an assembly or all-school gathering, whenever a glitch or blip would happen with the sound/screen, the student body would murmur "Cheeeeeese", meaning, Mr. Doerger had better get involved to fix it. It always brought a smile to my face as did having him as a teacher.
I remember being in gym class in the Fieldhouse one day when Mr. Doerger showed up with the longest extension ladder I’d ever seen, extended it up to the rafters and began adjusting the speakers mounted above the court. He had to be 30-40 feet up in the air with no fall protection or any discernible safety devices and likely in his early 60s at the time. He did it all so effortlessly it was like he must have done it a dozen times before.

Reactions: E82