handgun suggestions

mcm.1019

I've decided to pursue the purchase of a handgun, basically for home protection. It would basically be the wife/I who would have access and training, but I would offer it to my boys as well (1 recently left due to getting married, 1 is getting married in a few months, and 2 are in college and just home for another summer). For those with knowledge, what would you suggest I purchase? And what should I expect to pay for the gun and proper training?

A gun safety or conceal carry class is a very, very good idea.

My wife also practiced with a friend of ours who is a NRA safety instructor and he let her shoot a variety of his hand guns.

There are a lot of good gun dealers that can help you. If you get a clerk that doesn't want to be bothered go somewhere else.

I have two 9 mm Ruger semi-automatics. I chose them because they are comfortable in my hand. I don't feel safe with something that feels "awkward."

My wife's hand are not big and strong enough to shoot my guns. Limp wristing is a phenomenon commonly encountered by semi-automatic pistol shooters, where the shooter's grip is not firm enough and the wrist is not held firm/straight enough to keep the frame of the firearm from traveling rearward while the bolt or slide of the pistol cycles. So the gun does not reload properly & jams. She has a .38 special revolver, which has more of a kick, and a couple of .380 semi-autos, a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield EZ and a Browning 1911 .380. Both of which work fine for her.

A gun safety or conceal carry class is a very, very good idea.

My wife also practiced with a friend of ours who is a NRA safety instructor and he let her shoot a variety of his hand guns.

There are a lot of good gun dealers that can help you. If you get a clerk that doesn't want to be bothered go somewhere else.

I have two 9 mm Ruger semi-automatics. I chose them because they are comfortable in my hand. I don't feel safe with something that feels "awkward."

My wife's hand are not big and strong enough to shoot my guns. Limp wristing is a phenomenon commonly encountered by semi-automatic pistol shooters, where the shooter's grip is not firm enough and the wrist is not held firm/straight enough to keep the frame of the firearm from traveling rearward while the bolt or slide of the pistol cycles. So the gun does not reload properly & jams. She has a .38 special revolver, which has more of a kick, and a couple of .380 semi-autos, a Smith & Wesson M&P Shield EZ and a Browning 1911 .380. Both of which work fine for her.
I hadn't even thought about the difference in hand sizes between the wife and I, thanks for your insight.

1676707546310.png

I hadn't even thought about the difference in hand sizes between the wife and I, thanks for your insight.
Chs had a great suggestion on going to the range. Keep trying different ones until you get one that you both can hold and more importantly can hold comfortably.

I've decided to pursue the purchase of a handgun, basically for home protection. It would basically be the wife/I who would have access and training, but I would offer it to my boys as well (1 recently left due to getting married, 1 is getting married in a few months, and 2 are in college and just home for another summer). For those with knowledge, what would you suggest I purchase? And what should I expect to pay for the gun and proper training?
You’re going to pay around $500 bucks for a good micro 9 and there are a guzillion to choose from. Glock, Ruger, SW and Sig are mainstream and probably offer the most bang for the buck, pardon the pun. CCW classes are a must and usually run in the $200 range. Find a good outdoor range if you can and practice, practice practice. YouTube has literally thousands of gun review videos, try to zero in on which gun works for each of you. For your wife I suggest the Sig P365. Terrific small gun for a reasonable price. Not much kick and feels great in your hand. For you, try the Ruger Max 9, Glock 43 or SW Shield. All are great guns and won’t break the bank. If you plan to carry every day you’re going to want something you can carry comfortably. Stick with 9mm if money is an issue as 9mm ammo is the cheapest other than .22lr which doesn’t have great stopping power. Lastly be prepared to enter the search for the perfect everyday carry 😂 they are always coming out with better and better products.

WAIT, WHAAAT, people STILL get MARRIED? WHO KNEW? CERTAINLY not in the SOUTH or ALASKA. Why buy the dairy when you can get the milk for free, or at least for fifty or a hundred bucks at Wallymart on a Friday night. COURSE, the only time I ever paid for S E X, was when I put that ring on her finger.

As for the weapons per se'. I suggest a Browning Automatic Rifle, and a M1A1 Abrams peacekeeper, for the garage. (y) NEVER leave home without it. They BOTH come in handy, when Crazy Joe's hordes of millions of undocumented personas, come streaming across that Southern border in the coming months and years, to take back what they think is rightfully THEIRS.

BUT, BUT, BUT the drawback to the training is, that you'll hafta be one of the 10% of the adult male population, who says that he'll defend his country, and JOIN the DANG MILITARY.☠️

I have a Ruger LCR. Small, compact and easy to carry when necessary. When I was looking, I went to a gun dealer friend and told him "I want a gun I can use while I am p!$$$!ng down my leg" as that's when I would be using it- an unexpected scary situation. He suggested a revolver as they are essentially point and shoot.

On another note, consider shotgun for home defense.

You'll get lots of recommendations on what to use for home defense, none of them are right and none are wrong. Use whatever you are most comfortable using. A pump shotgun loaded with birdshot will put the hurt on anyone who enters your house unannounced, and the pellets won't travel too far through the walls if you miss your target.

Last edited: