Greater Cleveland Conference 2019

MAN. Solon ball would kill to have multiple middle schools to draw from. All those wins in MS / Frosh / JV do mean something towards continued program success. Worries me that our 'Mets have not had a lot of W's in the past few years down there. Whatever magic they do at the Varsity level to get players ready for Fridays is impressive when you realize just how many boys there are in the Mentor/Brunswick/Medina's of the world. And by world, I mean GCC.

I don't know what either group did against Euclid, but leading into those games the Mentor JV was 7-1 (lost 21-14 to Ignatius) and the freshman were 6-2 (lost to Ignatius/Medina).

Middle School teams records are not as strong. Memorial 7th (4-3-1), Memorial 8th (7-0-1), Shore 7th (4-3), and Shore 8th (2-5) wrapped up their seasons.

I don't know what either group did against Euclid, but leading into those games the Mentor JV was 7-1 (lost 21-14 to Ignatius) and the freshman were 6-2 (lost to Ignatius/Medina).

Middle School teams records are not as strong. Memorial 7th (4-3-1), Memorial 8th (7-0-1), Shore 7th (4-3), and Shore 8th (2-5) wrapped up their seasons.

I'm guessing Mentor is the only eastside school that has multiple teams in 7th and 8th. I know Medina and Brunswick are the only ones on the westside. Strongsville and Elyria went down to one last year and pretty sure they did as well this year.

Also, I believe Medina 7th and 8th are kind of like Mentor in that both schools are about .500 or so at both levels.

Also

Last edited:
MAN. Solon ball would kill to have multiple middle schools to draw from. All those wins in MS / Frosh / JV do mean something towards continued program success. Worries me that our 'Mets have not had a lot of W's in the past few years down there. Whatever magic they do at the Varsity level to get players ready for Fridays is impressive when you realize just how many boys there are in the Mentor/Brunswick/Medina's of the world. And by world, I mean GCC.

Yeah, lower level success doesn't automatically translate to wins at varsity. But it can be a gauge to what is coming up. After all, Mentor has had a ton of success at the lower levels through the years and it has carried over.

I know some people will point to Medina how lower level sucess doesn't translate (though that is more at the youth level where there teams have always done well historically). Outside of these two classes, Medina has never had a run like these two have done so far at the HS level (even if it is freshmen and JV).

Solon has done an amazing job and the reality is they are probably going to drop down to D2 in the next couple of years. They are much closer in size to say Avon than they are to Mentor/Brunswick/Medina.

Yeah, lower level success doesn't automatically translate to wins at varsity. But it can be a gauge to what is coming up. After all, Mentor has had a ton of success at the lower levels through the years and it has carried over.

I know some people will point to Medina how lower level sucess doesn't translate (though that is more at the youth level where there teams have always done well historically). Outside of these two classes, Medina has never had a run like these two have done so far at the HS level (even if it is freshmen and JV).

Solon has done an amazing job and the reality is they are probably going to drop down to D2 in the next couple of years. They are much closer in size to say Avon than they are to Mentor/Brunswick/Medina.

Driving through Avon, it looks like a new neighborhood is popping up every .2 miles. They still have room to grow!
I could totally see Solon being D2 in the next few years. They're near the bottom of the list in D1 numbers. Near Massillon Perry's enrollment.

Updating the overall HS levels.

Mentor: 27-3??

Medina: 25-4-1 ...freshmen GCC champs despite tying Brunswick and maybe split the GCC JV title (went 9-1) if Mentor lost to either Euclid or Strongsville... I'm guessing Mentor won both.

Brunswick: 21-8-1

Those are the top 3. Don't know the exact records of the rest, but know all are below the above.

Know a lot of moving parts that affect the lower levels, but Mentor/Brunswick/Medina all were moving kids up too (and to be fair, they are the three biggest schools so that should help their records).

A very nice accomplishment for half the league to make a very competitive Region 1 field. We could see three GCC teams advance to Week 11.