Grade School state, D4 thoughts ?

No One

d4 70 is absolutely loaded!!! can't wait to see some of those match ups!!! every round you will have to be on your game because any kid has the potential to upset the bracket. imo who will challenge Rhine and Maddux? to be continued?

Craceman you could not have said it any better..

D4 is loaded, Ive had the pleasure of seeing many of these kids for 5-6 yrs now and its a fantastic group of wrestlers. They all make each other better every year. Good luck to all.

D4 is loaded, Ive had the pleasure of seeing many of these kids for 5-6 yrs now and its a fantastic group of wrestlers. They all make each other better every year. Good luck to all.

Wish my son would get better wrestling some of these kids, just getting his butt kicked lately. I think he is regressing or how ever you spell it. :shrug:

you are absolutely right keato. We have watched theses boys pretty much since they started. They are amazing to watch. I know our practice room lately has consisted of JD Stickley, M. Moore, Tommy Hoskins, Jordan Crace and Alex Rhine. Brutal room. you have no choice but to get better or get your butt kicked.

Its just that so much changes from grade school to high school Its apples to oranges. I mean there are post talking about a 6th title for a kid??? I dont even think jr high states has been around for 6 yrs? I may be wrong but isn't jr high states 7th and 8th graders (that is jr high) so now we have a 6th title chance.? Im not knocking just dont understand the eligibility I guess. Going for a 6th title would mean he won in 3rd grade, 4th, 5th, 6th. and 7th, now going for his 6th in (in assuming 8th grade). I also think its rediciculous that club teams not even associated with high schools have a jr high team without even have a junior high school

You dont really know what you are talking about. Kid level wrestling is a excellent predictor of high school wrestling success. Look at the kids that won these titles 4-5 years ago and most of them are on the podium at the state tournament. I have been involved in a tournament at Elder called the Elder Kids Team Invitational (Tim Fay Memorial) and have studied the placers over the 26 years this has run. Its like a who's who of the top wrestlers out of Cincinnati and from across the state, and this tournament is for 1st thru 6th graders only.

To have any chance to compete for a high school state championship, a wrestler must start showing some level of success by 5th grade and be a dominant junior high wrestler, then start as a Freshman on varsity. It is a very rare kid that begins wrestling in high school and becomes a high state placer. So. Mr. Anon go elsewhere and leave the kids wrestling talk to those that care (mostly parents, coaches, or old sotts like me). OK? :p

Freevick, I don't think he has lost to any of the wrestlers you mentioned. With that being said, I do think that Hart,Shie,chavez or Hyrnciw could win it. All are very good.
Im not familiar with Gruden or Ramirez. I know their records and accomplishments, but have not seen them wrestle this year or last. Therefore I can't say they wont be in it. I do find it weird you have not heard of Hart? He is this years 75# OYWA state champ, Last years Empire National champ, runner up at Super32 etc. Bruce Hyriciw, Corey Shie and Allan Hart are all friends of my son and all of them are great wrestlers. I do think it will be another awesome weight class to watch, but not sure you will see Shie at 80. He has grown and my guess is he will be at a higher weight.

Last edited:
Any idea what these guys have in common?

Dean Heil
Kagan Squire
Nate Skonieczny
Isaac Jordan
Felipe Martinez
Mark Martin

2005 Grade School State Champions.

I'm pretty sure even grade school matters.

I would bet that there are more kids that became HS state champs, or even college national champs that were not GS state champs. Most seem to think their son needs to be a GS state champ or they have failed.

Wrestling125, just wanted to let you know that Jacob Watkins (Grade school state champ in 2005) did have an outstanding career at Tipp City high school. He set school records in most takedowns at the beginning of his junior year, and this number continues to grow (last recorded at 378). He had his 150th high school win in the middle of his senior season this year. Was honored in the Dayton paper and the local media for an outstanding wrestling career and has been athelte of the week on many occasions. He finished 2nd in sectionals and Goshen districts this year, losing only to Isaac Jordan in the finals, 11 to 5. His record this season was 42 and 2. He is also ranked as 8th in the Brakeman report and will compete in Columbus this Thursday at 160 pounds.

Sorry, I was looking at this thread for my son, and saw my nephew's name mentioned. Maybe his career isn't considered stellar to you, but for anyone who has actually followed him through the years, we think he's accomplished a lot and are very proud!

Josiah Clemets
Jacob Watkin
Kyle Nelson

You know who these guys are? Didn't think so..all three of them were 2005 Grade School State Champions, but no one knows who they are because they didn't succeed in high school.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, meant to quote the message from wrestling125 in my reply. This is the post I was responding to.

I would bet that there are more kids that became HS state champs, or even college national champs that were not GS state champs. Most seem to think their son needs to be a GS state champ or they have failed.

I do agree with you on the fathers thinking grade school means everything, but grade school states have not been around long enough, these kids in high school now are the first era to even compete in it.

Maybe his career isn't considered stellar to you, but for anyone who has actually followed him through the years, we think he's accomplished a lot and are very proud!

That's HUGE!!! There are hundreds of wrestlers that would trade a digit for that kind of success. He's obviously a kid that cuts from no one, runs from no one, wrestles the kids he has to wrestle and has some crazy success in the process.

Jacob Watkins is a outstanding youngman. He may not have a high school state title, but he has done great things at the high school level.

Jacob Watkins is a outstanding youngman. He may not have a high school state title, but he has done great things at the high school level.

Thanks for the kind words about Jake! Anyone who knows him personally also knows that he is a great kid and as humble as they come. He has had a passion and talent for wrestling since the age of 5, and has loved every minute of it. It was his goal and dream to win grade school states in 2005 when he was in the 6th grade. I believe he was state runner up in both 7th and 8th grade to Huston Evans of Graham.To see him place this weekend as a senior would be an unforgettable moment for us all! Good luck to Jake, all the other past state grade school champs, and all the wrestlers that will compete this weekend!

That's HUGE!!! There are hundreds of wrestlers that would trade a digit for that kind of success. He's obviously a kid that cuts from no one, runs from no one, wrestles the kids he has to wrestle and has some crazy success in the process.

Thanks so much! I totally agree, but I'm sure I'm a bit biased!

Josiah Clemets
Jacob Watkin
Kyle Nelson

You know who these guys are? Didn't think so..all three of them were 2005 Grade School State Champions, but no one knows who they are because they didn't succeed in high school.

Are you feeling stupid yet? If not you should.....Don't come on here and try to call kids out! Don't mention names in a negative manner. BTW do some research, so you don't make a total --- of yourself.

I agree with Keato5. What an A55. Wrestling builds character and dedication at a young age. Its good for these kids.

Josiah Clemets
Jacob Watkin
Kyle Nelson

You know who these guys are? Didn't think so..all three of them were 2005 Grade School State Champions, but no one knows who they are because they didn't succeed in high school.

Sorry to go off topic again, but Jacob Watkins took 5th in the state tournament today in the D2, 160 bracket. Not bad for a kid who 'didn't succeed in high school.'

But final note, Jake's dad did say that with very few exceptions, the kids you see succeed at the state tournament in high school, are the same kids you saw succeed at the Jr. high and grade school states. Those boys just keep getting better each year and the majority of other kids just don't catch up.

Good luck to all the boys as they finish up their seasons. And thanks for giving me the chance to brag about Jacob!