Goodbye for now...

call_someone_who_cares.jpg

:)

This may seem silly to many people, but it's a serious matter to me. There is a problem in my life that needs to be addressed, and I feel that getting off Yappi is one thing that will help.

I've always been someone who loves to debate issues, but my approach in person differs from my approach in writing. Very few people are ever offended by what I say in person, but many have been offended by what I've written. That's not their fault, that's mine.

For a person of my religious convictions (don't worry, I won't go into detail!), that's an attitude of contentiousness. I tend to lean toward igniting arguments and heated debate. And in the midst of discussions, I can rub people the wrong way. Again, that's on me. It's a matter of attitude.

I joined Yappi in 2006 and was argumentative at every turn. Eventually I realized how much it was affecting my life, so I got off it for a long period. It was an area of my life that needed improvement. When I did return, it was only to the Professional Basketball forum. Believe me, I have enjoyed our discussions!

However, I can see how Yappi discussions somehow fuel my lust for debate--my attitude of contentiousness. Recently I stopped posting anything on Facebook because I had been igniting controversy there as well. While off Facebook, I noticed that my attitude on Yappi had become more argumentative--as if I was compensating for not longer debating on Facebook. Because of that, I feel it best to take a long break from Yappi to address this area in my life.

I am a schoolteacher and a leader in my local church, so my attitude needs to be one of compassion. In person, it almost always is. In writing, however, my words often tend to be abrasive. That can't continue if I am to be an effective teacher and a good church leader. I need to be able to communicate graciously through writing as well.

Hopefully, I can return to Yappi sometime. The NBA is far and away my favorite sport, but I don't have many friends who share that love for it. The discussions here have been interesting, and I hope to participate again someday. I know that some people will be glad to see me go, and I understand that. That's the price I pay for my approach.

Goodbye for now, and I hope that someday I can return in a more gracious manner.

tltr

I have been asked by the OP to note that the blog entry I quoted in this thread was written several years ago and he no longer approaches life that way. He no longer writes on that blog because "it was fueling (his) egotism and arrogance". He does, however, understand the need for folks to bash him.

This may seem silly to many people, but it's a serious matter to me. There is a problem in my life that needs to be addressed, and I feel that getting off Yappi is one thing that will help.

I've always been someone who loves to debate issues, but my approach in person differs from my approach in writing. Very few people are ever offended by what I say in person, but many have been offended by what I've written. That's not their fault, that's mine.

For a person of my religious convictions (don't worry, I won't go into detail!), that's an attitude of contentiousness. I tend to lean toward igniting arguments and heated debate. And in the midst of discussions, I can rub people the wrong way. Again, that's on me. It's a matter of attitude.

I joined Yappi in 2006 and was argumentative at every turn. Eventually I realized how much it was affecting my life, so I got off it for a long period. It was an area of my life that needed improvement. When I did return, it was only to the Professional Basketball forum. Believe me, I have enjoyed our discussions!

However, I can see how Yappi discussions somehow fuel my lust for debate--my attitude of contentiousness. Recently I stopped posting anything on Facebook because I had been igniting controversy there as well. While off Facebook, I noticed that my attitude on Yappi had become more argumentative--as if I was compensating for not longer debating on Facebook. Because of that, I feel it best to take a long break from Yappi to address this area in my life.

I am a schoolteacher and a leader in my local church, so my attitude needs to be one of compassion. In person, it almost always is. In writing, however, my words often tend to be abrasive. That can't continue if I am to be an effective teacher and a good church leader. I need to be able to communicate graciously through writing as well.

Hopefully, I can return to Yappi sometime. The NBA is far and away my favorite sport, but I don't have many friends who share that love for it. The discussions here have been interesting, and I hope to participate again someday. I know that some people will be glad to see me go, and I understand that. That's the price I pay for my approach.

Goodbye for now, and I hope that someday I can return in a more gracious manner.

Lebron's fault.