Good & Not So Good Refs in Cincinnati

lotr10 - Is your nose brown enough yet?

Let's all remember that refs do get paid for their services - it is hardly a "sacrifce of their own personal lives". People give up time with their family everyday for work , whether their job is refing on the side or mowing lawns. You always have better workers than others and the same is true with refs. Maybe good refs should get bonuses just like good workers do? Just a thought, but to say that ALL refs are "absolutely the best" is a shameful attempt at giving the Indians an advantage. I hope the refs don't read into this.....

honestly, i played in many high school and club games, and to be honest the absolute worst refereeing that I saw was in a club showcase tournament. there has never been worse refereeing than that. its not just high school ref's.

but my point was most refs that arent good dont like hearing about it, so why piss them off and make them quit and then find that you can only have a 12 game season because there arent enough refs to go around? there are so many things that influence the game besides the refs. trust me i have been screwed over worse than anyone (ref timed, supposed to have stoppage time, game was stopped as i was ready to take the winning shot, lost in PK's) i know how much it sucks. but we all know there are going to be good refs and bad ones and they probably know if they are good or bad based on how people react to them, especially you guys it seems, on the field. why do you have to bring it up on a thread?

lotr10 - Is your nose brown enough yet?

Let's all remember that refs do get paid for their services - it is hardly a "sacrifce of their own personal lives". People give up time with their family everyday for work , whether their job is refing on the side or mowing lawns. You always have better workers than others and the same is true with refs. Maybe good refs should get bonuses just like good workers do? Just a thought, but to say that ALL refs are "absolutely the best" is a shameful attempt at giving the Indians an advantage. I hope the refs don't read into this.....

That's funny you say this because, yes, refs do get paid for what they do, as well as all other people who work. HOWEVER, do the other people that work get harrassed and ridiculed in the process of doing their job while they are sitting at their desk like referees do while on the field. Absolutely not. The amount of money we get paid is highly disproportionate to the "conditions of employment." It takes a tough skin to be a referee.........some people have it and some people don't.

I see many officials, in all sports, become referees just for the sake of the additional little income. That means they don't really take pride in what they are doing and are just happy to make it through the match to get their money. This causes a snowball effect because the players/coaches/fans will get on them because the referee doesn't call a good game, then some referees don't know how to handle it and lose control of the game or quit, and the players/coaches/fans will continue their tirades game after game. It has gotten to the point where there doesn't seem to be enough discipline with the players/coaches/fans and their actions have become "expected," and to me, that is total crap!

Yes, there is a shortage of soccer referees. But until all of those out there, who like to criticize and ridicule us for what we do and how we do it, actually go get certified and get a yellow shirt and get on field to do a better job than we do, then there will always be a shortage.

The lacrosse community has a phrase it uses a lot..."Honor the Game". Most of the refs I know personally, ref as a way of "giving back" to a game they enjoy...believe me, money is NOT the reason they are out there.

Wow phatneff! The reason I suggested refing bonuses was to weed out the officials who do only ref for the extra income as you mentioned in your post. I think refs would be more apt to call a good game and keep up with plays if an extra incentive was involved. Even those bad refs who are only in it for the money would be tempted to up their game....... Let's keep in mind that there are many professions where ridicule and in some cases danger is involved. For example teachers, social workers, policemen, members of the armed forces,etc. All of these professions get paid peanuts compared to their sacrifice and "conditons of employment." So don't put your position up on a pedestal! Bottom line is you chose refing because of your love for the game, knowing the ridicule and pay that was involved.

Wow phatneff! The reason I suggested refing bonuses was to weed out the officials who do only ref for the extra income as you mentioned in your post. I think refs would be more apt to call a good game and keep up with plays if an extra incentive was involved. Even those bad refs who are only in it for the money would be tempted to up their game....... Let's keep in mind that there are many professions where ridicule and in some cases danger is involved. For example teachers, social workers, policemen, members of the armed forces,etc. All of these professions get paid peanuts compared to their sacrifice and "conditons of employment." So don't put your position up on a pedestal! Bottom line is you chose refing because of your love for the game, knowing the ridicule and pay that was involved.

Well said!

Back to the meaning

I say we get back to what this thread was started for.
It was started so that people could give recognition to officials that do a good job and maybe question some of those that don't.
I this is not what this thread is going to be about, then lets just cancel it.

So, did anyone see anything from officials since Saturday that they would like to comment on?

Wow uwishuknew!! Don't read in to my posting or put words in my mouth. In no way was I putting my "position up on a pedestal." I officiate a GAME. That's all it is.........A GAME! I think many people out there need to remember this before they start opening their mouth. Many parents make the comments about officials, when in reality, they are the ones in the wrong by showing a poor example for their own kids.

I have a very well-payed job outside of reffing. If you think that I'm putting the casual official's position above those that protect our community and/or guide our youth, then you should look in the mirror to ask yourself why you would suggest that.

I officiate a GAME. That's all it is.........A GAME! I think many people out there need to remember this before they start opening their mouth.

Could this thought process be an underlying cause for poor officiating by some referees? :shrug:

"So what if I make a bad call, it's just a game."

I also wonder if our difference of opinion here may not have something to do with our definition(s) of the word respect. The way I am interpreting this word is in terms of holding someone in esteem because of certain qualities and abilities. Perhaps you mean respect in the sense of acknowledging one's right or privilege????

Maybe I didn't use the right words. How about this phrase: "Referees should be treated with respect at all times." You may not like the person. You may not respect how he is doing his job. But on the field, you need to treat him/her in a civilized manner. Period. End of story.

If people treated their supervisors at work the same way they treated referee, they would be looking for work elsewhere. If you can cooperate and get along with someone at work who you don't like, you can do the same for a game official.

Could this thought process be an underlying cause for poor officiating by some referees?

"So what if I make a bad call, it's just a game."

I don't know of a single official in any sport who begins any game without caring how they perform. Some are better than others, but they all care.

Perhaps some fans, players, and coaches need to remember that, in the end, soccer is just a game. Nobody's life is on the line, as with a police officer. Nobody's freedom is on the line, as with a soldier. The nation's next generation isn't on the line, as with a teacher.

At day's end, soccer is just a game, nothing more or less!

It has gotten to the point where there doesn't seem to be enough discipline with the players/coaches/fans and their actions have become "expected," and to me, that is total crap!

Phatneff, if we ever cross paths and actually know who each other are, I'd like to spell you for a cold one. You seem like a decent sort.

I also wonder if our difference of opinion here may not have something to do with our definition(s) of the word respect. The way I am interpreting this word is in terms of holding someone in esteem because of certain qualities and abilities. Perhaps you mean respect in the sense of acknowledging one's right or privilege????

Maybe I didn't use the right words. How about this phrase: "Referees should be treated with respect at all times." You may not like the person. You may not respect how he is doing his job. But on the field, you need to treat him/her in a civilized manner. Period. End of story.

There we go. I think we are on the same page now.

That's funny you say this because, yes, refs do get paid for what they do, as well as all other people who work. HOWEVER, do the other people that work get harrassed and ridiculed in the process of doing their job while they are sitting at their desk like referees do while on the field. Absolutely not. The amount of money we get paid is highly disproportionate to the "conditions of employment."

I wasn't the one to suggest this. According to your quote, you asked me if the other people that work get "harrassed and ridiculed in the process of doing their job." Not trying to disrespect you, but just wanted to remind you that I was responding to your rhetorical question. As far as the reffing bonuses are concerned, I was just suggesting ways to reward those who do a good job. But I guess all refs really would rather have a thank you at the end of the day rather than an extra $20 in their pocket. I guess next time I go to a restaurant, I'll just tell my waitress "thank you" instead of giving her a tip. Just trying to help.....

Loveland Versus Anderson

I thought the CR for this game last night was very consistent and certainly took the time to explain calls/cautions to the Anderson coach. It was a track meet at times as well so it wasn't easy to keep up with run of play but again, the CR did a nice job.

Since brown-nosing hasn't helped us much I think it's time to be blunt. So far this year the officiating in the GMC games I have seen Fairfield play in has overall been outstanding! They've called the games pretty fairly and most importantly consistently. Equally impressive is the crews I've seen have normal egos and don't need to be treated as despotic potentates! Good job so far GMC!

Now for the non conference games it has varied from good to awful! I thought the crew that did the X/FF game last Saturday night was terrible! It's bad enough they were not consistent, and seemed to miss a LOT of stuff, when questioned by the coaches (respectively) they escalated the situations in a heart beat to major confrontations by behaving as if they were just declared to be the emperor of Rome! I'm always struck how the good refs never seem to get into arguments with coaches, fans or kids while the less confident guys ref with a HUGE chip on their shoulders!

I thought the CR for this game last night was very consistent and certainly took the time to explain calls/cautions to the Anderson coach. It was a track meet at times as well so it wasn't easy to keep up with run of play but again, the CR did a nice job.

Thanks!

Since brown-nosing hasn't helped us much I think it's time to be blunt. So far this year the officiating in the GMC games I have seen Fairfield play in has overall been outstanding! They've called the games pretty fairly and most importantly consistently. Equally impressive is the crews I've seen have normal egos and don't need to be treated as despotic potentates! Good job so far GMC!

Thanks again!

I have heard the tongue-in-cheek statement that you can tell when the referee did a good job because the fans from both sides feel like they got the shaft.

Not to trivialize the topic but do you think there is some truth in that? For example, I have been to many games where fans from both sides seem upset with the men-in-yellow but IMHO often their calls seemed to go both ways and they seemed consistent with what they would allow. How do the referees in this forum sense if they had a good game or not?

Also, just as a side note, I watch a lot of the girls' games also. To me it seems as if the quality and consistency of refereeing is better with the boys' teams. I'm not sure if this is real or just my imagination. The people I know that ref do both genders so I don't think the refs are any different. . .or are they?

I thought the crew that did the X/FF game last Saturday night was terrible! It's bad enough they were not consistent, and seemed to miss a LOT of stuff, when questioned by the coaches (respectively) they escalated the situations in a heart beat to major confrontations by behaving as if they were just declared to be the emperor of Rome!

Eh, I don't know if a coach (FF's) who was screaming at the center ref AFTER one of his players shoved a St. X kid into the metal wall on the bleachers, is being extremely respectful. Granted the refs were not good overall that game, but the center was trying to calm the situation down and make sure the St. X player was ok. I was more sickened by the response from the Fairfield crowd than I was the center's response to the coaching staff.

When you're yelling at the referee for a good 2-3 minutes WHILE another player is down on the ground after being shoved into a wall, and you're not 100% sure he's not seriously hurt... you need to re-evaluate your life and your priorities. Seriously. It seemed like from the St. X side that Fairfield parents/supporters could care less about the damage done to a kid, but were more insensed about the yellow card given to their player.

Just another incident where the ref did what was thought to be right by St. X's sidelines, and what was wrong by Fairfield's sidelines, and visaversa. You are never going to please more than 50% of the people... so don't worry about that. But as fans, remember it is just a game... a fun game at that. Or at least it should be.

I'm confused. The FF coach was yelling at the ref after one of HIS players shoved a St. X player into the bleachers?? Or did the St. X player shove the FF player into the bleachers? If it was the former, why was the FF coach so upset?

the ff player shoved the x player and the coach was complaining to the ref because the incident happened after the ball was out so apparently there should not have been a fould called, it should have just been a throw in. at least the ff coach thought it should have been a throw in.

the ff player shoved the x player and the coach was complaining to the ref because the incident happened after the ball was out so apparently there should not have been a fould called, it should have just been a throw in. at least the ff coach thought it should have been a throw in.

StXSoccer16, just building on what you were saying here. . .I think you are on the right track. The two kids went hard after the ball on the sideline. At the sideline the FF kid stepped in front of the X kid and shielded the ball. He got his hip into the lower body of the X player and the kid went flying. . .hard. . .into the wall. I could see him leave his feet but I did not see the impact but the sound he made wasn't good. I was 20 yards away and looking down on it. I had a pretty clear view, probably better than most of the players. Perhaps if you were a player on that part of the field you had a better look than I did. But believe me, that FF player does not have enough muscle to push another kid 5-6 yards that hard unless momentum is a factor.

I'm not really sure WHY the yellow was awarded. You will see the same play a dozen times a game in the middle of the field and it doesn't garner a second look. Perhaps the fact that this could have been a serious injury is what brought the card out. If I were on the other side of the field I certainly would have wanted the yellow. Honestly, even being on the side of the field I was, I cannot say I disagree with the yellow. I have seen less severe carded and more severe not. I only guess that this was something that the ref thought was appropriate for the time and circumstance.

As far as I know, you are right on with the explanation about the what went on afterward. FF thought it should be a throw in instead of a kick.

After this incident, I couldn't help but notice that even with the state-of-the-art stadium, some of those walls are pretty close to the field. I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't the first time kids have gone into the walls. You would think it wouldn't be too hard or expensive to supply some padding.

Eh, I don't know if a coach (FF's) who was screaming at the center ref AFTER one of his players shoved a St. X kid into the metal wall on the bleachers, is being extremely respectful. Granted the refs were not good overall that game, but the center was trying to calm the situation down and make sure the St. X player was ok. I was more sickened by the response from the Fairfield crowd than I was the center's response to the coaching staff.

When you're yelling at the referee for a good 2-3 minutes WHILE another player is down on the ground after being shoved into a wall, and you're not 100% sure he's not seriously hurt... you need to re-evaluate your life and your priorities. Seriously. It seemed like from the St. X side that Fairfield parents/supporters could care less about the damage done to a kid, but were more insensed about the yellow card given to their player.

Just another incident where the ref did what was thought to be right by St. X's sidelines, and what was wrong by Fairfield's sidelines, and visaversa. You are never going to please more than 50% of the people... so don't worry about that. But as fans, remember it is just a game... a fun game at that. Or at least it should be.

sportscenter00 agree with some of your perceptions, disagree with others.

I was on the FF side a few rows up and just to the left (from the X side) of where the incident happened. I was probably 20 yards away and looking down on it. I had a pretty clear view, probably better than most of the players unless they were in that part of the field.

What I saw was this. The two kids went hard after the ball on the sideline. At the sideline the FF kid stepped in front of the X kid and shielded the ball. He got his hip into the lower body of the X player and the kid went flying. . .hard. . .into the wall. I saw him leave his feet but only heard the impact. Didn't sound good. However, it is not accurate to say that the FF player shoved the X player into the wall. Most soccer players, this one included, do not have enough muscle mass to shove someone that size into a wall that hard that is probably 5-6 yards away. Momentum was very much a factor. That much directional momentum was present because the X player was not entirely under control. However, it is most likely true that the X player probably would not have hit the wall if the FF player did not step in front him.

I also think you unduly villify FF fans. There was an issue going on between the referee and the FF coach regarding the call. FF fans could hear the conversation from their side and they were upset that the ref was not even willing to listen to the coach. I agree that as a group, they were not mindful enough of the situation with the player. However, some important points you omitted was that someone from the St X side, I believe a coach, was yelling at the FF coach while the FF coach was trying to get the Center to come over and talk with him. THAT brought out a severe case of the boo-birds from the FF side. This went on for a sizable portion of that 2-3 minute time frame you mentioned. The ref finally had to intervene and send the St X person to the sideline as they did not seem to be willing to stop on their own. Even then, if you noticed, a number of the FF JV players went down to the railing by the sideline to see how things were going with him. Some other kids followed them down and I honestly do not know if the motivation of the other kids but the JV players were concerned with his injury. Furthermore, there were a number of people on the FF side who were concerned for the player and were very much relieved to see him finally up and making his way to the bench.

This game has been long gone and over with. Both teams have other fish to fry. I appreciate that you approached this in a mature and tactful manner. However, I do feel as if your response was one-sided and had a tendency to cast a whole group of people (FF parents/fans) in an unfavorable light. My personal opinion is that group villification only makes it easier to disrespect parents/coaches/players/fans of other teams and does not do much to foster sportsmanship. As such, I felt I needed to put my two cents in.

Thunderflames, as a FF fan I agree with your summary completely and let me add a couple of points about that play:

* As you stated the ball was clearly going out of bounds off an X kick so it was going to be Indians ball. I've seen this situation a thousand times AND every time the team who gets the throw-in shields the ball out of bounds. Frankly, the X player came in like a mad man and tried to "climb" around Larson. The contact was typical of what you see in that situation and the X players momentum carried him out and into the wall.

* No way was a yellow card warranted in this situation! The ref was reacting to the terrible sound of the X player crashing into a wall!

* As to the wall, shame on X for allowing such an obviously dangerous situation to exist! The wall isn't more then 5 feet from the line. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often! If my kid was hurt on that wall I would be livid and I would give the X athletic director a piece of my mind. Why don't the fools at X PAD the wall?

* Though I disagree with the yellow, it happened after the ball went out! FF should have been awarded the throw in! The refs totally blew it here. The sideline ref, who had to see what happened was never consulted and didn't offer any input. He should have just gone out and had a donut for all the use he was.

* The FF coach spoke respectively to the ref and inquired about why the Indians didn't get a throw in (it was a dangerous free kick from the FF 25 yard line). The ref never even explained that the "foul" occurred in the field of play (which it didn't). He just kept telling the FF coach to be quiet and sit down.

* I believe the X coach people are referring to was the head coach and frankly he should have kept his mouth shut. All he did was inflame the situation by butting in.

* There wasn't a FF fan who wasn't concerned about the kid that hit the wall. But it wasn't a yellow card offense, it's not our fault there is a major flaw in stadium design, the X kid came in way to hard for the kind of play it was, and it should have been a FF throw in.

* Oh and to top matters off, the ref was so concerned about the kid that he RESUMED play with the kid still on the sideline! Talk about a dangerous situation!

My advice to X fans is to talk to your AD and demand that the walls are padded before a kid is really hurt! I'm surprised the refs or league officials haven't thought about this. Well, now you've been warned! We all saw what happened! Next time you're going to have a lawyers feeding frenzy!

Here is a question for our referees (phatneff & soref)....

What is the typical course of action a center should take for a player that knocks the ball away after a foul is called when the player is obviously doing so in order to waste time and prevent a quick restart?

Secondly, how do you deal with a player who intentionally stands in front of the ball when a foul is called to prevent a quick restart or to not allow the opposing player to play the ball? One ref will state in his pregame address that if you don't give an automatic 10 yards then he will caution you while the next ref will not even address the player that intentionally stands in front of the ball.

In the closing seconds of the Indian Hill - Finneytown match the center official called a foul around midfield and Finneytown set the ball to take the free kick with about 12 seconds left on the clock. As the clock was winding down the opposing player literally stood in front of the ball so that the kick could not be taken and the official did nothing about it allowing time to expire. His explanation to the players and coaches was, "I can put 1 second back on the clock but you aren't going to score from there."

This is the type of attitude that an official has that I have a problem with. I believe what should have been done is the clock should have been stopped as soon as the player stepped in front of the ball and the official saw that he would not back off. The player should have been cautioned and there would have been enough time for the ball to be served into the box. Would a goal have resulted? Who knows? What matters to me (and I assure you the players and fans and coaches involved) is that the official takes pride in his job.

Tactically the player arguably did the right thing by delaying the free kick but the center should have done the right thing and stopped time since he has discretion over the game clock at that point and he should have cautioned the player for dissent or time wasting.

On a side note I thought that the AR's did a nice job in this game but the center was very inconsistent for both teams and did not keep up with the play.

Last edited:
sportscenter00 agree with some of your perceptions, disagree with others.

I was on the FF side a few rows up and just to the left (from the X side) of where the incident happened. I was probably 20 yards away and looking down on it. I had a pretty clear view, probably better than most of the players unless they were in that part of the field.

What I saw was this. The two kids went hard after the ball on the sideline. At the sideline the FF kid stepped in front of the X kid and shielded the ball. He got his hip into the lower body of the X player and the kid went flying. . .hard. . .into the wall. I saw him leave his feet but only heard the impact. Didn't sound good. However, it is not accurate to say that the FF player shoved the X player into the wall. Most soccer players, this one included, do not have enough muscle mass to shove someone that size into a wall that hard that is probably 5-6 yards away. Momentum was very much a factor. That much directional momentum was present because the X player was not entirely under control. However, it is most likely true that the X player probably would not have hit the wall if the FF player did not step in front him.

I also think you unduly villify FF fans. There was an issue going on between the referee and the FF coach regarding the call. FF fans could hear the conversation from their side and they were upset that the ref was not even willing to listen to the coach. I agree that as a group, they were not mindful enough of the situation with the player. However, some important points you omitted was that someone from the St X side, I believe a coach, was yelling at the FF coach while the FF coach was trying to get the Center to come over and talk with him. THAT brought out a severe case of the boo-birds from the FF side. This went on for a sizable portion of that 2-3 minute time frame you mentioned. The ref finally had to intervene and send the St X person to the sideline as they did not seem to be willing to stop on their own. Even then, if you noticed, a number of the FF JV players went down to the railing by the sideline to see how things were going with him. Some other kids followed them down and I honestly do not know if the motivation of the other kids but the JV players were concerned with his injury. Furthermore, there were a number of people on the FF side who were concerned for the player and were very much relieved to see him finally up and making his way to the bench.

This game has been long gone and over with. Both teams have other fish to fry. I appreciate that you approached this in a mature and tactful manner. However, I do feel as if your response was one-sided and had a tendency to cast a whole group of people (FF parents/fans) in an unfavorable light. My personal opinion is that group villification only makes it easier to disrespect parents/coaches/players/fans of other teams and does not do much to foster sportsmanship. As such, I felt I needed to put my two cents in.

I appreciate your candid response, and by no means am I casting a shadow among the entire FF community that rabidly supports their teams (especially soccer). I have close friends from the Fairfield community, and thus why I think I hold them to a higher standard than others.

I was just stating that specific incident looked weird to me from the St. X side... when medical personel is with a kid who just hit his back and head against a metal wall, and parents/coaches/etc. are more worried about the yellow card and a throw in, who gives a s%&t? Seriously, this is a game, and you're getting incensed about a throw in vs. a kids safety? That's all I cared about, I honestly could have cared less about giving the FF kid a yellow. I did not notice the argument between any St. X coach and the FF side, which would make sense to the arguing going back and forth. I just missed it.

I guess as I'm getting older, I'm getting more and more aware of the ridiculousness of people, especially in groups. I won't begin to believe that one parent on the FF side would ever say win-at-all-costs (ie. hurting another player). I do believe, however, that some parents when put in a mob-mentality situation, will tend to lean towards acting much more irrational than they normally would, ie. worrying more about a throw in vs. free kick than a kids safety. Just my opinion, I know there were a lot of people who applauded when he got up on the Fairfield side.

I didn't mean to post about this a week after the fact, but the topic was broached. Good luck to Fairfield the rest of the way, hopefully they can find a way to turn the season around. That's the best part about soccer - you catch fire near the end of the season, you can make a great run into the postseason.

* As to the wall, shame on X for allowing such an obviously dangerous situation to exist! The wall isn't more then 5 feet from the line. I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often! If my kid was hurt on that wall I would be livid and I would give the X athletic director a piece of my mind. Why don't the fools at X PAD the wall?

* Oh and to top matters off, the ref was so concerned about the kid that he RESUMED play with the kid still on the sideline! Talk about a dangerous situation!

My advice to X fans is to talk to your AD and demand that the walls are padded before a kid is really hurt! I'm surprised the refs or league officials haven't thought about this. Well, now you've been warned! We all saw what happened! Next time you're going to have a lawyers feeding frenzy!

Good points, all discussed among the stands during the rest of the game... The problem is that the soccer lines are so close to the outside of the stadium since the field is so wide, that it causes huge logistical problems for St. X. To pad the entire stadium would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, because you're not just talking about the one part of the stadium where he got hurt, you're talking about all of the fencing and cement wall on the St. X side - I know it's cheaper than a lawsuit... but still.

I was a little confused about the return to action as well by the center ref, it seemed a little early and the St. X player wasn't yet up, so it seemed kinda weird. Basically that whole sequence was weird, point blank.

Good points, all discussed among the stands during the rest of the game... The problem is that the soccer lines are so close to the outside of the stadium since the field is so wide, that it causes huge logistical problems for St. X. To pad the entire stadium would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, because you're not just talking about the one part of the stadium where he got hurt, you're talking about all of the fencing and cement wall on the St. X side - I know it's cheaper than a lawsuit... but still.

I was a little confused about the return to action as well by the center ref, it seemed a little early and the St. X player wasn't yet up, so it seemed kinda weird. Basically that whole sequence was weird, point blank.

Keep in mind that the yellow card/throw in and the player down were two separate events. I was worried about the X kid when I heard him hit the wall but from my angle I could see him sitting up and he looked okay as the trainers worked on him. What got the FF side riled up was the attitude of the center ref. With play stopped he had an opportunity to talk to the FF coach and explain his decision. What got the FF crowd riled up was his dismissive attitude.

We both agree on one thing though. I thought starting play back up with the X kid still on the sideline was inexcusable and that the ref should be suspended for the rest of the year. Given how tight it is along the wall, the odds of another accident were heightened. I would have had no problem sitting there for 30 minutes if that's how long it took before the kid could be moved. Very odd decision by the center ref!

While I don't speak for all fans, trust me when I say that a kids safety comes first for me. It's just that in this situation, it looked like the X trainers were testing for a concussion and that you could tell nothing serious had happened. Though the initial "crash" was very loud and drew an "Oh no" from the FF crowd when it happened.

I thought starting play back up with the X kid still on the sideline was inexcusable and that the ref should be suspended for the rest of the year.

I think a suspension for this would be WAY out of line.
If either school thinks that an official has performed his/her job in a way that did not put the safety of the players first, then a report can be filed by the school.

I am pretty sure that all of St. X's games are recorded by Waycross Community Media (I could be wrong). If this game was taped, then the tape could be reviewed. If anything was considered to be done wrong by the official, this could be used as a learning experience.

Also, whether fans want to agree or not, usually the ref that you have doing the middle on a St. X game is a very good ref. The assignors for the GCL don't just put a warm body out there to do a game. So suspending an official for something like this would be way out of line.

Here is a question for our referees (phatneff & soref)....

What is the typical course of action a center should take for a player that knocks the ball away after a foul is called when the player is obviously doing so in order to waste time and prevent a quick restart?

Secondly, how do you deal with a player who intentionally stands in front of the ball when a foul is called to prevent a quick restart or to not allow the opposing player to play the ball? One ref will state in his pregame address that if you don't give an automatic 10 yards then he will caution you while the next ref will not even address the player that intentionally stands in front of the ball.

In the closing seconds of the Indian Hill - Finneytown match the center official called a foul around midfield and Finneytown set the ball to take the free kick with about 12 seconds left on the clock. As the clock was winding down the opposing player literally stood in front of the ball so that the kick could not be taken and the official did nothing about it allowing time to expire. His explanation to the players and coaches was, "I can put 1 second back on the clock but you aren't going to score from there."

This is the type of attitude that an official has that I have a problem with. I believe what should have been done is the clock should have been stopped as soon as the player stepped in front of the ball and the official saw that he would not back off. The player should have been cautioned and there would have been enough time for the ball to be served into the box. Would a goal have resulted? Who knows? What matters to me (and I assure you the players and fans and coaches involved) is that the official takes pride in his job.

Tactically the player arguably did the right thing by delaying the free kick but the center should have done the right thing and stopped time since he has discretion over the game clock at that point and he should have cautioned the player for dissent or time wasting.

On a side note I thought that the AR's did a nice job in this game but the center was very inconsistent for both teams and did not keep up with the play.

I can't say anything for what happened in this game because there are a lot of other variables that could have lead to the officials decision.

I can say this though:
I do sometimes mention to players in the pre-game speach that 10 yards is mandatory and actions like what is mentioned will not be tolerated. That is the warning for all players, so if it is done, they won't be surprised if they do receive a caution.
If a player blatently steps in front of a ball (I mean RIGHT in front of the ball) where it is obvious that he is trying to stop a fast restart, by rule a caution should be given. Again, there are different variables that would be taken into consideration by the official on how this is handled. The same goes with playing the ball away after a foul has been called.

In the example given above for the FT/IH game, the official certainly has the ability to stop the clock or add time to the clock. But again, there are many different variables that would go into the decision making on that play.

Sorry if this is not the answer that you were looking for.
I do agree with you though that something COULD have been done, but it is to the judgement of the referee on how the situation is handled.