GMC 23-24

Sycamore beats Fairfield 52-47. Tight game throughout, but Sycamore inched ahead in the 4th but struggled to close it out with some sloppy play. Sanders got a clean look from the corner to tie it with 15 seconds left and it rimmed out. He hit 5-6 3s though and had a great game. Burgess was awesome with probably around 20 and may have approached a triple double.

Sycamore beats Fairfield 52-47. Tight game throughout, but Sycamore inched ahead in the 4th but struggled to close it out with some sloppy play. Sanders got a clean look from the corner to tie it with 15 seconds left and it rimmed out. He hit 5-6 3s though and had a great game. Burgess was awesome with probably around 20 and may have approached a triple double.
Official stat line of 24 points, 12 rebounds, 8 blocks.

Just watched East/Princeton tonight. First time seeing both teams. I think this might be the worse East team I've seen in about 10 years. They have 2 maybe even 3 guys starting that in normal years they would be coming off the bench getting sporadic minutes, and they have zero bench to go along with it.
I agree somewhat, but LE is still a well coached team with an assassin in Perry. It's not like St. X and Princeton blew them off the floor. But I definitely agree with the lack of depth will be a problem against top level teams. Also that #1 Ty Smyers is a workhorse on the glass

I agree somewhat, but LE is still a well coached team with an assassin in Perry. It's not like St. X and Princeton blew them off the floor. But I definitely agree with the lack of depth will be a problem against top level teams. Also that #1 Ty Smyers is a workhorse on the glass
Lack of depth might be a consistent theme in the league this year. Fairfield and Sycamore aren’t deep either. It means sophomore and juniors are going to have to step up and get better in their first varsity action.

Tuesday, December 12, 2023
Fairfield at Hamilton
Oak Hills at Lakota East
Middletown at Mason
Colerain at Princeton
Lakota West at Sycamore

We'll see if Fairfield can get into the win column for the first time, but that's still not an easy game. Middletown at Mason should be a really good one. I would expect Lakota East and Princeton to roll. I think Sycamore should beat Lakota West, but we'll see how their young guys handle their first tough opponent.

Sycamore beats Lakota West 50-40 but it was a very close game until Sycamore hit foul shots late. Lakota West is going to be a tough out because of their depth and peskiness defensively but they’re too helter-skelter offensively right now. Tough matchup for Sycamore as they really lack ball handlers, but they were very successful when they did get the ball up on the rim, outrebounding West 34-13.

Sycamore beats Lakota West 50-40 but it was a very close game until Sycamore hit foul shots late. Lakota West is going to be a tough out because of their depth and peskiness defensively but they’re too helter-skelter offensively right now. Tough matchup for Sycamore as they really lack ball handlers, but they were very successful when they did get the ball up on the rim, outrebounding West 34-13.
Good assessment. West is still a work in progress certainly under new system and new coach in Moss. Hopefully they can continue to evolve as the season moves forward. The rebounding was obviously huge and Burgess with his size at 6’11 is a tough matchup for anyone in the conference and was a big difference maker in this game with his scoring, defense and rebounding.

GMC Final scores for Tuesday 12-12
Sycamore 50 West 40
Middletown 62 Mason 48
Fairfield 48 Hamilton 36
East 61 Oak Hills 55 in overtime
Princeton 72 Colerain 37

Don't think I've ever seen this from a high school team. Throwback/heritage edition jerseys. Princeton playing in Lincoln Heights jerseys tonight.

1000001752.jpg

Sycamore 35
Mason 33

Half

Pretty exciting game; Comets led 17-6 at one point and the the Aves scored like 11 straight. The second half of the 2nd quarter was pretty back and forth.

Had to leave more quickly than expected

Sycamore 73
Mason 63

Mason played them about as tough as they could, IMO.

Had to leave more quickly than expected

Sycamore 73
Mason 63

Mason played them about as tough as they could, IMO.
Mason definitely shot the lights out early but then fell in love with the 3 a little too much and let Sycamore pull away. They’re really bad defensively though. Tried to do the same thing that Fairfield did and just not guard 2 of Sycamore’s players while tripling Burgess. That backfired big time. Sycamore could have won by more if they made their foul shots in the final 4 minutes.

Early GMC Thoughts
Middletown- Looks like a good GMC team, great length and athleticism they play hard
Sycamore- Burgess is a STUD, many tough athletic players around him
Hamilton- Athletic team that plays hard, will be in every game
East- Perry is that good, they're well coached, solid pieces around, will be in every game
Princeton- Hard to tell right now, I know they're missing guys but this is good for their development
West- Young team with potential, getting better, best ball is ahead of them
Oak Hills- A typical solid Oak Hills team, will get wins
Fairfield- Will get better as year goes on, best ball is ahead of them
Mason- Have some nice pieces, better than record as they'll get some good wins
Colerain- Just not on pace with the rest of the league talent wise

Fun league as always. I really like Middletown and Sycamore because of length and size. The other 7 teams are all very good and 1-9 really is capable of beating each other on any night. Not gone the way I thought and I'm sure there will be more surprises.