GMC 23-24

Lakota East got a 21 point blowout of Brecksville-Broadview Heights. They were undefeated this year and are generally considered one of the top teams in Region 1.

How bad is Northwest? Colerain beat them by 16 tonight…
Northwest just beat Badin and lost to Indian Hill in OT. 16-18 year old kids… you never know what you’re going to get. Especially in intra district rivalry game. Looking at box score Colerain had 21 turnovers to NW 8. Northwest shot 18-54 from the field and 0-9 from three. Tough to win a basketball game if you can’t make any shots.

I had posted in the GCL thread the very same thing.

I watched about 1/2 of the game they played yesterday and it was some hard to watch.

good luck to all the GMC schools out of town this week!
It's been that way for quite a few years. It seems LaSalle has taken the "we're the underdog" approach and feels the need to ugly it up on purpose in order to compete. You can't get away with that being in the GCL and having the basketball history LaSalle does. It's a major cop out.

Someone is tracking this in the ECC thread, so I figure I would start tracking it here. Since MaxPreps ratings are determining seeding, not too early to start seeing where the Cincinnati pecking order is:

1. Moeller
2. Elder
3. Middletown
4. Lakota East
5. Sycamore

6. St. Xavier
7. Winton Woods
8. Western Hills
9. Princeton
10. Turpin
11. Goshen
12. Aiken
13. Lakota West
14. Milford
15. Hamilton
16. Oak Hills

17. Anderson
18. Loveland
19. Mason (missing their Florida tourney results, which should bump them up)
20. Little Miami
21. Kings
22. La Salle
23. Fairfield
24. Harrison
25. Northwest
26. Western Brown
27. Ross
28. Withrow
29. Edgewood
30. Colerain
31. Walnut Hills
32. West Clermont
33. Talawanda

A few thoughts on this so far:
1. Hard to argue with the top of the rankings. We know those are the good teams and the order can be debated. Power ratings are all pretty close too with Moeller as a clear #1 and almost identical ratings 2-5.
2. A team like Goshen will get a much higher seed than they would have previously because of their gaudy record.
3. Fairfield and Mason have the chance to work their way up.
4. As we get deep into GCL-S, GMC, and ECC conference play, it will be curious to see how teams that stack losses fall.
5. Overall not that bad.

West High yes, Aiken not so much I believe Arnold will have to sit second half of the season
I believe that is true as well. Aiken is going to slide down the rankings during the 2nd half of the season and won't be a high seed. West Hi has been decent the last couple of years and appear to be even a little better this year. They won 2 games in the tournament last year before losing to Princeton by 10. They'll get wins in the CMAC and should end up with a seed in the 8-12 range, which would be very fair.

Fairfield loses 54-35 to Fairmont after being tied at 25 at halftime. Now 2-8 with only 1 clear win left on the schedule.

Friday, January 5, 2024
Oak Hills at Hamilton
Lakota East at Lakota West
Fairfield at Mason
Princeton at Middletown
Colerain at Sycamore

Saturday, January 6, 2024
Middletown at Fenwick
La Salle at Sycamore
Lakota West at West Carrollton

Weekend schedule for the GMC. East-West and Princeton-Middletown should be big ones. Sycamore should roll. Oak Hills-Hamilton will be first to 30. At the rate Fairfield is going, I expect Mason to win comfortably. Saturday non-conference games should all be GMC wins.

Friday, January 5, 2024
Oak Hills at Hamilton
Lakota East at Lakota West
Fairfield at Mason
Princeton at Middletown
Colerain at Sycamore

Saturday, January 6, 2024
Middletown at Fenwick
La Salle at Sycamore
Lakota West at West Carrollton

Weekend schedule for the GMC. East-West and Princeton-Middletown should be big ones. Sycamore should roll. Oak Hills-Hamilton will be first to 30. At the rate Fairfield is going, I expect Mason to win comfortably. Saturday non-conference games should all be GMC wins.
Middletown/Fenwick should be a good game.

Princeton wins at Middletown 71-63
Hamilton beats Oak Hills 48-46

Sycamore back alone in 1st at 5-1. Hamilton, East, West, Princeton, and Middletown all tied for 2nd at 4-2.

Shooting guard from Princeton went for 32. 6/9 from behind the arch and perfect from the line.this score is a lot worse if Princeton makes free throws in 3rd quarter missed 8 in a row

Shooting guard from Princeton went for 32. 6/9 from behind the arch and perfect from the line.this score is a lot worse if Princeton makes free throws in 3rd quarter missed 8 in a row
They didn't post the box scores from their trip to Mississippi, but the same kid had at least one similar game down there.

They didn't post the box scores from their trip to Mississippi, but the same kid had at least one similar game down there.
I know they lost 2 out of 3 down there, but their losses were to #3 in Mississippi and #6 in Louisiana. At this point, they have wins over Lakota East, Sycamore, and Middletown, but also somehow lost to Hamilton and Mason. Seems like they play very inconsistent, but they have a fairly high ceiling.

Sycamore beats LaSalle 41-31. That was hideous. Extremely physical game + bad officiating crew = some of the worst basketball I’ve seen this season.

Sycamore beats LaSalle 41-31. That was hideous. Extremely physical game + bad officiating crew = some of the worst basketball I’ve seen this season.
Did LaSalle have more than 31 Fouls? What was so bad about the Officiating? Neither Team could make a Shot?

Par for the course for Goedde.

Ugly it up and then everyone says he's a good coach. Not sure what he's good at besides bastardizing the game of basketball. His stye is a joke and should be called out. My guess is he tripled Burgess and was ultra physical to the point where the refs can't call them all. Been going on for years and it's a joke.

Austing doesn't play that way. He actually knows how to coach.

Did LaSalle have more than 31 Fouls? What was so bad about the Officiating? Neither Team could make a Shot?
I mean, the refs could have called a foul on every possession, on both teams, so when they did call them, it was very inconsistent. Burgess was called for an intentional foul while grabbing a rebound with Sycamore up 4 and 2 min to go and it was a very bad call (although not as bad as the Kansas-TCU one if anyone saw that today), but, fortunately for Sycamore, LaSalle couldn't capitalize. Reach-in fouls, hand check fouls, and grabbing fouls were nonexistent tonight. As such, LaSalle only had 14 fouls and Sycamore only 6, but Sycamore had 20 turnovers and LaSalle had 14. Sycamore at least shot 50% and outrebounded LaSalle 28-11 and that was the difference.

Par for the course for Goedde.

Ugly it up and then everyone says he's a good coach. Not sure what he's good at besides bastardizing the game of basketball. His stye is a joke and should be called out. My guess is he tripled Burgess and was ultra physical to the point where the refs can't call them all. Been going on for years and it's a joke.

Austing doesn't play that way. He actually knows how to coach.
Actually no to your first part. LaSalle pressured Sycamore's guards full court and periodically ran traps at them while being very physical. I think that is exactly how you should defend Sycamore: by not letting their guards even have room to get Burgess the ball. That's what Princeton did too. Sycamore had 19 turnovers and Burgess only got 5 shots against Princeton. They had 20 turnovers and he only got 5 shots against LaSalle. The pressure works as Sycamore only really plays with one guard. LaSalle is horrible offensively though or they might have won tonight. Only a few teams can play that kind of pressure though. I think Sycamore is going to see plenty of it at Middletown on Tuesday.