Girls Sectionals - 2024

knightflyer150

2024 Girls sectionals - OHSAA is committed to keeping girls regionals as a one-day event, and while that is good from officials and dual coaches standpoint, it presents a numbers issue with large brackets.

So per Dustin Ware, OHSAA wrestling admin, in talking with Shawn Andrews, girls will add a sectional level the Sunday after boys sectionals. It will follow the 4x4 model, with those clearing into regional 16 grim bracket.

While it is likely that some sectionals will be small, it does provide a solution and a map for the future. It also allows regionals to “seed” more consistently (1 vs 4).

So…if you’ve got female wrestlers or a team, it looks like February 25th will be the date.

To clarify.
Let me know if I have this right.
16 girls sectional tournaments
Sectionals will be Sunday, February 25, the day after the boys sectional tournament.
The top 4 from sectionals go to the regional tournament.
(Can the name be changed from regional to district now to make it in line with the boys and less confusing to people?)
The regional tournament will be 16 girls and competed in one day.
The top four from each of the four regional tournaments qualify for the state tournament.

I've heard that some may be Super Sectionals. 2 Super Sectionals in a region. Top 8 qualify from each Super Sectional. 16 wrestlers in a Regional bracket. But maybe things have changed since I heard this

I've heard that some may be Super Sectionals. 2 Super Sectionals in a region. Top 8 qualify from each Super Sectional. 16 wrestlers in a Regional bracket. But maybe things have changed since I heard this
Looking at results from the NW regional last year, the super sectionals make the most sense. Majority of our brackets were 12-16, with outliers being 10, 20, and 21. Plus, speaking to our region specifically, there is a nice north/south divide where I think we could fill brackets relatively evenly across the 2 sectionals. How that works for the other locations, no clue?

Looking at results from the NW regional last year, the super sectionals make the most sense. Majority of our brackets were 12-16, with outliers being 10, 20, and 21. Plus, speaking to our region specifically, there is a nice north/south divide where I think we could fill brackets relatively evenly across the 2 sectionals. How that works for the other locations, no clue?
NE would most likely be an East/West separation of teams

Last edited:
I don't know much other than there will be a 3rd level added and it is expected to be four sectionals. The primary goal is to ensure 16 gilr brackets at regionals.

I am working on getting the sites lined up for the Northeast Region.
The goal is to have 4 sectionals in each region.
For the Northeast Region I am trying to get one on the west side of Cleveland, one on the east side of Cleveland, one south around Akron and one south around Youngstown.
I have the west side sectional assigned. Still need the other 3.
Schools can reach out to me if they are interested in hosting a sectional. I have been reaching out to schools that are hosting a boys sectional 1st since the mats are already down and the gym is already set up.
Dave Ressler: dressler@lutheranwest.com

A majority of these sectional tournaments are going to go super fast. Why can't we just run them the Friday night before the boys at the same site? I like the idea of having sectionals and feel like it is needed. But, Why can't they simply be at the same site as the boys, just the night before?

A majority of these sectional tournaments are going to go super fast. Why can't we just run them the Friday night before the boys at the same site? I like the idea of having sectionals and feel like it is needed. But, Why can't they simply be at the same site as the boys, just the night before?
Divisions is probably the issue there. Since girls is 1 division, I imagine the spread isn’t equal. Looking at the teams from my boys sectional last year vs my girls regional, my 110 would’ve had 0 opponents in the sectional.

Or at the exact same time. Yes they are going to be small this year...and maybe a couple more. I would think the issue maybe is that all 4 need to be on the same day/time for regional "seed" integrity.

To clarify.
Let me know if I have this right.
16 girls sectional tournaments
Sectionals will be Sunday, February 25, the day after the boys sectional tournament.
The top 4 from sectionals go to the regional tournament.
(Can the name be changed from regional to district now to make it in line with the boys and less confusing to people?)
The regional tournament will be 16 girls and competed in one day.
The top four from each of the four regional tournaments qualify for the state tournament.
Eddie....no we will not use the word District because then these events would fall under the jurisdiction of the your District Athletic Board.... and we do not want that at all...nor did OHSAA.

Divisions is probably the issue there. Since girls is 1 division, I imagine the spread isn’t equal. Looking at the teams from my boys sectional last year vs my girls regional, my 110 would’ve had 0 opponents in the sectional.
Wouldn't be the same teams in the 4 girls sectionals as the boys necessarily.

Lots of good questions.. nobody has all the perfect answers with this. OHSWCA is working with OHSAA to try to get things done in a common sense, appropriate manner to build the sport. Which they have done a phenomenal job of in the past 4 years.

Hosting on Sunday...Why? Officials, willingness of locations... How many sites want to run 2 tournaments at same time or have the skills to do it? Why not?? Sunday competitions suck because you have travel and a long day then school the next day and the girls lose a day off.

Why not on Friday night? I don't know... sounds like it could work for girls. As a girls coach I would rather it be Friday night. This year the #'s will dictate a small fast tournament. My girls can get a couple days off and I can go watch the boys on Sat. Don't know if host sites want to do that.

Using the D1 sites and wrestling the girls at exact same time?? - What about the Coaches of D2-3 teams that are also the boys head coach... how are they going to coach at a D2 sectional and the girls sectional at different location at same time? Who is more important to them.. not good choice for the coach and not good for girls wrestling. Why not make them different day so this conflict does not happen and all the wrestlers get their coach? This is case for a large majority of the girls programs in the state

Above is the reason why Friday OR Sunday is probably a better fit???

Last edited:
Wouldn't be the same teams in the 4 girls sectionals as the boys necessarily.
Exactly why I don’t think it needs to be held at an existing sectional. Because my girls team and boys team may not align at the same sectional, so you’re traveling to two different locations that weekend anyway. Only benefit is that the gym will be already setup

Friday night is an option if the sectional is not too big (which I don't think they will be). In asking schools in the NE that are hosting a boys sectional, I also mentioned to them that Friday night could be an option if Sunday does not work for them. As of right now in the NE Region it looks like we have 3 sectionals for the girls locked up. Waiting on final confirmation from school ADs.

Friday night is an option if the sectional is not too big (which I don't think they will be). In asking schools in the NE that are hosting a boys sectional, I also mentioned to them that Friday night could be an option if Sunday does not work for them. As of right now in the NE Region it looks like we have 3 sectionals for the girls locked up. Waiting on final confirmation from school
Are the other parts of the state sectional sites already secured?

Last edited:
Exactly why I don’t think it needs to be held at an existing sectional. Because my girls team and boys team may not align at the same sectional, so you’re traveling to two different locations that weekend anyway. Only benefit is that the gym will be already setup
In which region do you plan to step up and offer to run a girls sectional?

Friday night is an option if the sectional is not too big (which I don't think they will be). In asking schools in the NE that are hosting a boys sectional, I also mentioned to them that Friday night could be an option if Sunday does not work for them. As of right now in the NE Region it looks like we have 3 sectionals for the girls locked up. Waiting on final confirmation from school ADs.
I can speak directly to the Harvey Sectional site last year. We had 16 teams ( I am pretty sure that one other D2 site-Kenston??- had 15 teams) and the event ran FAR too too long. While the teams are not full, it is run on 3 mats with 6 officials and I was beat by the time we finished.
I want to be very clear hat it was not any fault on Harvey's part, it was uneven distribution of teams by the NEDAB and I let them know that it did not work at all.
Whether people (specifically the OHSAA) want to acknowledge it or not, the shortage of officials is catching up with us. While the Sectional weekend might not be too bad, the District/Regional weekend was hard.

In which region do you plan to step up and offer to run a girls sectional?
You are reaching very far from my original point lol. I’m simply saying it doesn’t NEED to be ran at the same place as boys sectionals beings how your girls and boys team (for people who coach both) may not be at the same location. So rather I’m traveling from 1 existing sectional to another, or if it’s traveling from 1 existing to a completely new girls sectional…. I’m still traveling none the less. That’s all I’m saying, no more no less.

But to answer your off topic question, if one ends up being needed in east/southeastern Ohio. Feel free to reach out and I’ll forward the issue over to my AD

I can speak directly to the Harvey Sectional site last year. We had 16 teams ( I am pretty sure that one other D2 site-Kenston??- had 15 teams) and the event ran FAR too too long. While the teams are not full, it is run on 3 mats with 6 officials and I was beat by the time we finished.
I want to be very clear hat it was not any fault on Harvey's part, it was uneven distribution of teams by the NEDAB and I let them know that it did not work at all.
Whether people (specifically the OHSAA) want to acknowledge it or not, the shortage of officials is catching up with us. While the Sectional weekend might not be too bad, the District/Regional weekend was hard.
Jim, I was talking about the girls sectional being small, not the boys. I 100% agree that in D2 last year the NEDAB messed up and put too many teams in the Northern sectionals (Harvey and Kenston- 16 in each) and only 12 in the southern sectionals. We were at Kenston and they ran it great, but it was a long day and not fair to any of the teams in the two northern sectionals. Harvey has turned down the girls sectional and Kenston is waiting to get approval from the Superintendant to host the girls sectional on the east side of Cleveland. If they can't I will move on to Berkshire and ask them.

You are reaching very far from my original point lol. I’m simply saying it doesn’t NEED to be ran at the same place as boys sectionals beings how your girls and boys team (for people who coach both) may not be at the same location. So rather I’m traveling from 1 existing sectional to another, or if it’s traveling from 1 existing to a completely new girls sectional…. I’m still traveling none the less. That’s all I’m saying, no more no less.

But to answer your off topic question, if one ends up being needed in east/southeastern Ohio. Feel free to reach out and I’ll forward the issue over to my AD
I agree that boys and girls sectional at same site is a problem and a no go. I am sure that there is a need for a girls sectional in east/southeast so teams there don't have to drive all the way to Columbus for one.

A quick update. The idea for sectionals is now up in the air. The Ohsaa is looking at other options than having 4 sectionals in each region. The OHSWCA is looking to have a meeting with Mr. Ware to push for the 4 sectional model.

Update on Trackwrestling: Some girls coaches got logins and others did not. So far the girls listed on the boys rosters have not been transferred over to their own rosters (or at least not all of them have).
I will update as I hear more.

This past week, OHSAA and Dustin Ware, working with OHSWCA leadership, finalized four sub-regional (sectionals) into a regional model for the girls postseason. With girls numbers well over 2,000 and OHSAA set on a one-day model for regionals, this is a necessary step to keep girls regionals to 16. While the sectionals will probably be small the first couple years, this is the model. They will take place on a Friday or Sunday.

4 subregions --> NE Mentor
4 subregions --> NW Marysville
4 subregions --> C/SE Orange
4 subregions --> SW Harrison

Additionally, the regions will likely be slightly redrawn to balance the huge growth in the NE, but that will be finalized by OHSAA. I'll share anything as I get it. Post or reach out with questions.