Girard speed trap

CatAlum

Any Youngstown regulars…

In the mail today, I received notice of a speed infraction in Girard on I-80...75 in a 65. Always thought there was a ”gentleman’s agreement“ that up to 10 miles over was OK and I set my cruise control at plus 9 or plus 10. As I’m in this area regularly…anyone know what Girard‘s speed trap is set at?

Last edited:

I do live out this way, and thought 9 was ok, but 10 and over they could get you. Do you lease or own your vehicle?

Own…and I’m well aware of the hoops they have to jump through to get their money if it’s a camera ticket.
I asked because if you lease, it goes on the lenders end, and they tack it on your car payment. If you own, you can probably just not pay it. They will send to collections, but not much they can do about it

I asked because if you lease, it goes on the lenders end, and they tack it on your car payment. If you own, you can probably just not pay it. They will send to collections, but not much they can do about it
Right…it‘s a civil infraction. It is not financially sensible for the city to expend effort to collect on someone with one or a few of these infractions. But if you’re tagging everyone on I-80 going just 10 over, the volume must be incredible. In that stretch, 75 is a minimum.

Right…it‘s a civil infraction. It is not financially sensible for the city to expend effort to collect on someone with one or a few of these infractions. But if you’re tagging everyone on I-80 going just 10 over, the volume must be incredible. In that stretch, 75 is a minimum.
I have a buddy, that has 11 of them, and said he hasn't paid a cent. Lol.

1. I thought they weren't allowed anymore to use the speed cameras on interstates, like I-80. They originally were but then I thought some state law changed that provision...maybe not, I can't keep up with some of this stuff. It's possible that municipalities (cities, like Girard) are still allowed, but that townships (such as neighboring Liberty Twp. and Weathersfield Twp.) are not allowed.

2. I do know that Liberty Township utilizes theirs regularly on State Route 11, a 4-lane divided highway with a 65-mph limit...because I've gotten a few from them.

3. You'll get a second notice in 30 days, then a third notice in another 30-45 days, then a final notice. If you don't pay, they might eventually turn it over to a collection agency; but I've now ignored at least two from Liberty and one from Girard in the past 3 years, haven't paid any, and haven't yet received any collection letters or demands.

4. If Girard IS capturing photos on I-80, it's from a pedestrian bridge over the freeway between the Route 11 North intersection and the Girard exit at Route 422. Liberty Township cameras operate on Route 11 north of Tibbetts-Wick Road from an overpass that carries Anderson-Morris Road. Keep these two locations in mind as you travel through the area.

1. I thought they weren't allowed anymore to use the speed cameras on interstates, like I-80. They originally were but then I thought some state law changed that provision...maybe not, I can't keep up with some of this stuff. It's possible that municipalities (cities, like Girard) are still allowed, but that townships (such as neighboring Liberty Twp. and Weathersfield Twp.) are not allowed.

2. I do know that Liberty Township utilizes theirs regularly on State Route 11, a 4-lane divided highway with a 65-mph limit...because I've gotten a few from them.

3. You'll get a second notice in 30 days, then a third notice in another 30-45 days, then a final notice. If you don't pay, they might eventually turn it over to a collection agency; but I've now ignored at least two from Liberty and one from Girard in the past 3 years, haven't paid any, and haven't yet received any collection letters or demands.

4. If Girard IS capturing photos on I-80, it's from a pedestrian bridge over the freeway between the Route 11 North intersection and the Girard exit at Route 422. Liberty Township cameras operate on Route 11 north of Tibbetts-Wick Road from an overpass that carries Anderson-Morris Road. Keep these two locations in mind as you travel through the area.
As long as there is a time and place to “fight” the Ticket I’m pretty sure this practice is legal. If No Date,Time,Place(Court) to “fight” then not legal and don’t have to pay. This my understanding from Elmwood Place just outside St. Bernard in SW Ohio.

I think there are a lot of court cases involving Girard on this matter ...........not sure how everything is shaking out.

I think there are a lot of court cases involving Girard on this matter ...........not sure how everything is shaking out.
Going back about 5 or 6 years now, a class action lawsuit against Girard and their speed cameras arose from a road construction situation on a stretch of I-80 thru Girard whereby lanes were being added to I-80 to make it 3 lanes in each direction and a complete "full-depth" reconstruction of the existing roadway was also part of the project. Traffic maintained on the freeway during construction was temporarily reduced to a 55-mph limit, but after construction was substantially completed and the limit returned to 65-mph, at least one sign remained showing a 55-mph limit, which Girard was apparently relying on to issue camera tickets. See link to this 12-10-2021 article below:

As I understand it, there is a process by which drivers can contest a speed camera ticket, by appearing before an appointed "hearing officer" who has hours one weekday evening each week. I have no information as to what the volume is, or what success or failure people have that attempt to contest their ticket.

The last I heard, the Ohio house passed a bill requiring an officer to be present at all traffic citations. I do know something must have changed in the last year though as Dayton has fired their red light camera program back up.