GCL South (X, Elder, Moeller, LaSalle) 2012-2019 (including poll)

Which school will win the GCL South title in 2019?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And briefly on the college football front, OSU benefited not only from the Michigan loss, but also the Notre Dame loss. Had ND beaten Georgia on the road, odds are they run the table and lock up one of the four playoff spots.

And briefly on the college football front, OSU benefited not only from the Michigan loss, but also the Notre Dame loss. Had ND beaten Georgia on the road, odds are they run the table and lock up one of the four playoff spots.

Odds are they run the table? A little premature even from a guy known for being premature. Heck, there is a decent chance ND loses this week.

Pope’s Picks for Week 5...

Week 5 Games...

La Salle at St Joe NY
Nothing good ever came out of Buffalo, NY
Low energy Lancers by 14

St Xavier at Moeller (Nippert Stadium)
We keep asking...
Can Moe really be this bad?
This first GCL contest should give us the answer.
Suicide Bombers by 17

Ryle at Elder
Ohio football always trumps KY football.
Back in the day, Univ of KY had a football coach from 1946-1953 by the name of Paul “Bear” Bryant. They sent him packing and after a couple years at Texas A&M, he found a home at Alabama and seemed to do ok.
Pitiful Panthers by 28

Last edited:
Week 4 Games....
Credit to GCL website....

La Salle 37, Dayton Dunbar 7 – The Lancers’ defense continued its strong early-season play, limiting Dunbar to just three first downs and 38 total yards in building a 21-0 lead after one quarter and a 35-0 advantage at halftime. La Salle (4-0) limited Dunbar to just four rushing yards in 13 attempts to go along with only one third-down conversion. The Lancers have only allowed three defensive touchdowns in four games, including none in wins against Lakota West and Mason the first two weeks.

Junior quarterback Zach Branam made the most of his four completions against Dunbar (0-4), connecting twice with junior Jaylen Norwood on 10- and 2-yard scoring strikes in the first quarter. The trio of sophomore Josh Shaw (14 rushes, 80 yards), junior OJ Wyatt (7-68) and senior Cam Porter (6-61) combined to carry 27 times for 201 yards and two TDs, one each by Wyatt and Porter. Up next for La Salle is a trek to Buffalo, N.Y. to face St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute at 5 p.m. next Friday before opening league play.

St. Xavier 41, Indianapolis Cathedral 37 – For the second time in four weeks, St. Xavier trailed a team from Indianapolis only to put up big second-half numbers and prevail at St. Xavier Stadium. The Bombers were down, 17-16 against Brownsburg in week one at home, before outscoring the Bulldogs, 22-0, in the final two quarters of a 38-17 victory. Last night, St. Xavier trailed Indy Cathedral, the perennial Indiana power, 24-17 at halftime and then 31-17 in the third quarter before rallying behind two TD passes from senior Matthew Rueve and a scoring run from senior Kellen Newman.

After falling behind by 14 just over a minute into the second half, Rueve connected with junior Liam Clifford on a 44-yard pass to make it 31-24 with 8:17 remaining in the quarter, and then Newman scored on a 10-yard run to tie the game, 31-31, with 4:24 left. The Bombers scored twice to begin the fourth quarter, capping a 24-0 spurt with a 26-yard field goal from senior Mason Rohmiller four seconds into the final quarter, and then taking a 10-point advantage when Rueve hooked up with junior receiver Drew Britt on a 19-yard TD pass.

Cathedral (3-2), which defeated Moeller, 28-0, three weeks ago before falling, 38-31, to Elder in OT after leading by 14 points with just under six minutes remaining, scored a TD on the final play of the game. Rueve continues to play error-free football, connecting on 17-of-33 passes for 170 yards. He now has 10 TDs without an interception this season. Clifford hauled in seven passes for 125 yards and two TDs; he leads the GCL South in receiving yards, with 455. Newman carried 23 times for a game-high 120 yards and two scores.

Cathedral racked up 20 first downs and 489 total yards, led by senior quarterback Olin Edwards – who completed 17-of-33 passes for 345 yards and three TDs. The Bombers, however, were able to force two Cathedral turnovers while not giving up the football. Senior Tucker Hundley forced and recovered a fumble, while senior Drew Klas intercepted a pass and returned it 20 yards. St. Xavier (4-0) kicks off the league schedule by facing Moeller at 7 p.m. next Friday at University of Cincinnati’s Nippert Stadium.

Winton Woods 34, Moeller 7 – A week after putting up 68 points in a victory against Lexington Lafayette, Moeller was held without a point for the third time in four games. Winton Woods, Division II state runner-up a year ago and one of the top contenders for a state title this season, built a 27-0 lead at the end of the first quarter behind three rushing TDs and a defensive score – one of four turnovers suffered by Moeller, which opened the season with shutout losses to Cathedral and Louisville Trinity, 41-0 – the first time Moeller has suffered consecutive shutout losses in its storied program history.

Against Winton Woods (4-0), the Crusaders had 217 total yards offensive – most of which came through the air as senior quarterback Drew Altemuehle went 15-of-28 for 185 yards with one interception. Moeller (1-3) continues to struggle running the football, carrying 23 times for 32 yards – an average of 1.4 yards per attempt. The Crusaders converted just 4-of-11 third downs and 1-of-4 on fourth down. Talented senior Miyan Williams carried 18 times for 165 yards, including a long run of 59 yards.

NE Ohio Power St. Edward Uses 21-3 Spurt To Win Third Straight Against Panthers

Defending Ohio Division I state football champion Lakewood St. Edward used a 21-3 scoring run in the second and third quarters to break open a tie game and pull away for a 42-25 victory against Elder early Saturday evening at Highland High School in Medina in the annual regular-season meeting between Northeast and Southwest state powers.

Last edited:
Pitiful Panthers roll...

Suicide Bombers roll...

Low energy Lancers roll...

All double digit wins.

Pope is perfect so far for 2019
And to all my fans in yappiville who write to thank me for my perfect picks, you’re welcome!

Last edited:
I've never seen such poor clock management than that of Moeller. Down by three with a couple minutes left and they huddle and their receivers take their time getting into the huddle. So much wasted time.

That was everything you want and expect in a Moe/X game- tremendous, albeit flawed, effort by the Crusaders! Moe simply ran out of steam, but despite the loss nothing to be ashamed of tonight. Great atmosphere and crowd- though disappointed in the decision by the X band to play over the Moeller video intro and while the State Champions were getting introduced.

That was everything you want and expect in a Moe/X game- tremendous, albeit flawed, effort by the Crusaders! Moe simply ran out of steam, but despite the loss nothing to be ashamed of tonight. Great atmosphere and crowd- though disappointed in the decision by the X band to play over the Moeller video intro and while the State Champions were getting introduced.

If true, I agree that’s a very poor decision.
Sounds like a miscommunication.

Now things get interesting........

Week 6 Games

La Salle at Moeller

Elder at St X

I predict serious tailgating before both games!

Last edited:
This week is gonna be a lot of trash talk:

-I expect a lot of points to be scored in the X and Elder game and is essentially a toss-up.
-The Lasalle vs Moeller game is where I see Lasalle making a statement and winning by a hefty margin.

but we will find out on Friday I guess