GCL Coed 2019-20

New thread for 2019-20?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was talking with a few inner circle Fenwick peeps last night and was told the basketball team was caught having a instructional "open gym" with the AD in attendance :unsure:.... Was also told Bill Edwards Jr. will not be the varsity assistant now, he is looking to play pro ball in Mexico. I guess coach moss hired a new assistant and the new assistant emailed a couple players from Dayton Carroll asking them to come to Fenwick to play. The kid told his coaches about this and Carroll reported it to Fenwick and Fenwick decided to dismiss the newly hired varsity assistant. I guess the assistant that was dismissed was a AAU coach and 8th grade boys basketball coach at Middletown. ???
Nothing surprises me with that AD. Who caught them with the instructional open gym and did they report themselves to the state? How does the AD keep his job?

Sounds like the AD doesn’t know the rules or doesn’t care. What is an instructional open gym? How did Fenwick get to this point?

I was talking with a few inner circle Fenwick peeps last night and was told the basketball team was caught having a instructional "open gym" with the AD in attendance :unsure:.... Was also told Bill Edwards Jr. will not be the varsity assistant now, he is looking to play pro ball in Mexico. I guess coach moss hired a new assistant and the new assistant emailed a couple players from Dayton Carroll asking them to come to Fenwick to play. The kid told his coaches about this and Carroll reported it to Fenwick and Fenwick decided to dismiss the newly hired varsity assistant. I guess the assistant that was dismissed was a AAU coach and 8th grade boys basketball coach at Middletown. ???
WOW REALLY....YOU HEARD THAT FROM THE COACH THEY FIRED.... BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THESE...GET THE ENTIRE STORY BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE TRUTH.... SORT OF LIKE ME TELLING PEOPLE THAT YOU WEAR WOMAN'S CLOTHES ON TUESDAYS AND THURSDAY.... PROGRAM WILL BE BETTER AND IF YOU HAVE TO LIE TO MAKE IT LOOK BAD SHAME ON YOU.... BUT YOU CAN HAVE TRAINING AND INSTRUCTION... MAYBE IF THE COACH THAT SPREAD THIS RUMOR WOULD DO THIS - HIS BADIN TEAM WILL BE BETTER... IF THEY WERE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL THEY WOULD HAVE LOCKED THE DOORS...BUT HE HAD FREE ACCESS... LET'S CHECK THE RECORD AT THE END OF THE SEASON!!!!!

Nothing surprises me with that AD. Who caught them with the instructional open gym and did they report themselves to the state? How does the AD keep his job?
THE COACH THAT GOT FIRED...IF THEY WERE DOING THINGS ILLEGALLY HE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD ACCESS TO THE GYM.... TELL HIM TO SPEND MORE TIME TRYING TO HELP THOSE BADIN KIDS OUT INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING HIS REPLACEMENT.... AND IM AL MILTON

WOW REALLY....YOU HEARD THAT FROM THE COACH THEY FIRED.... BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THESE...GET THE ENTIRE STORY BECAUSE THAT'S NOT THE TRUTH.... SORT OF LIKE ME TELLING PEOPLE THAT YOU WEAR WOMAN'S CLOTHES ON TUESDAYS AND THURSDAY.... PROGRAM WILL BE BETTER AND IF YOU HAVE TO LIE TO MAKE IT LOOK BAD SHAME ON YOU.... BUT YOU CAN HAVE TRAINING AND INSTRUCTION... MAYBE IF THE COACH THAT SPREAD THIS RUMOR WOULD DO THIS - HIS BADIN TEAM WILL BE BETTER... IF THEY WERE DOING SOMETHING ILLEGAL THEY WOULD HAVE LOCKED THE DOORS...BUT HE HAD FREE ACCESS... LET'S CHECK THE RECORD AT THE END OF THE SEASON!!!!!

Actually you can't be doing any training or instruction if you have more than 4 players in the gym at one time.

Ok Al Milton.... What's the story then? Please fill me in with the truth because the source came from a current basketball staff member! BTW I love dressing up on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

Last edited:
Yeah, c’mon Milt. I heard it really involved trying to steal 3 freshmen from Carroll. That’s from a Carroll parent, but it seems to fit. Why call kids from other schools and invite them to your individual workouts. By the way, the four players in the gym at once is the rule.

THE COACH THAT GOT FIRED...IF THEY WERE DOING THINGS ILLEGALLY HE WOULDN'T HAVE HAD ACCESS TO THE GYM.... TELL HIM TO SPEND MORE TIME TRYING TO HELP THOSE BADIN KIDS OUT INSTEAD OF INVESTIGATING HIS REPLACEMENT.... AND IM AL MILTON
Big Al - suggest you have a study session with new coach and moron AD to study OHSAA bylaws. Open gym with coach running drills with full team this time of year is violation - just as recruiting other kids for athletic purpose, announcing publically at team meeting that you are actively recruiting new players and introducing one while he is still enrolled at another school, and going over your limit of summer contact are also violations. Still not sure if taking kids not enrolled at Fenwick to summer camps is a violation? Really want to know if AD has self-reported the infractions to the state and how confident principal is with the AD. High school ball is a little different than AAU - there are a few rules to follow.

And I hear there may be several teachers not named Kreke who have evidence of the violations.

Actually you can't be doing any training or instruction if you have more than 4 players in the gym at one time.
ACTUALLY THE BY-LAWS STATE THAT AS LONG AS THE COACH/TRAINER ISN'T ON THE HIGH SCHOOL STAFF HE IS ALLOWED TO TRAIN THE ENTIRE GROUP AS LONG AS THE TEAM IS ALL DOING INDIVIDUAL SKILL WORK-OUTS. A CERTAIN SOMEONE MADE AN ASSUMPTION THAT THE TRAINER WAS ON STAFF AND WAS CLEARLY WRONG!!!!!....

Big Al - suggest you have a study session with new coach and moron AD to study OHSAA bylaws. Open gym with coach running drills with full team this time of year is violation - just as recruiting other kids for athletic purpose, announcing publically at team meeting that you are actively recruiting new players and introducing one while he is still enrolled at another school, and going over your limit of summer contact are also violations. Still not sure if taking kids not enrolled at Fenwick to summer camps is a violation? Really want to know if AD has self-reported the infractions to the state and how confident principal is with the AD. High school ball is a little different than AAU - there are a few rules to follow.

And I hear there may be several teachers not named Kreke who have evidence of the violations.
ACTUALLY THE BY-LAWS STATE THAT AS LONG AS THE COACH/TRAINER ISN'T ON THE HIGH SCHOOL STAFF HE IS ALLOWED TO TRAIN THE ENTIRE GROUP AS LONG AS THE TEAM IS ALL DOING INDIVIDUAL SKILL WORK-OUTS. A CERTAIN SOMEONE MADE AN ASSUMPTION THAT THE TRAINER WAS ON STAFF AND WAS CLEARLY WRONG!!!!!....

Yes - probably his friends.... c'mon man do you really think he wouldn't ask someone to corroborate his story!!!! He's been there for over 27 years...

Since when is 3 on 3 full court drills considered to be individual skill drills? Maybe you are assuming something you don’t know about?

Yes - probably his friends.... c'mon man do you really think he wouldn't ask someone to corroborate his story!!!! He's been there for over 27 years...

Well that is where you are making an assumption that is ill conceived. He wouldn’t ask anyone to corroborate anything. Kreke was never someone to cheat to win at all costs. He built a reputation of doing things the right way and Fenwick never had to worry about whether his program would follow the rules. Shame to see Fenwick name being disgraced due to poor choices and poor leadership.

And you haven’t mentioned anything about the Carroll player. Was that Kreke’s friends who reported that dumb stunt? Not only was that a stupid move that shows poor judgement and leadership - how do you think the other GCL coaches feel about it?

What pissed me off most about your reply was the comment about seeing how many wins they have at years end. So disregard the rules as long as you win and everything is all right?

We’ll see about the win total also. GCL is full of guys who can coach. I don’t know about Fenwick’s new guy but I don’t think the “let’s go get some players from other schools” approach is how you build a program. And, before it even get’s started let’s all agree that Kreke left plenty to work with.

ACTUALLY THE BY-LAWS STATE THAT AS LONG AS THE COACH/TRAINER ISN'T ON THE HIGH SCHOOL STAFF HE IS ALLOWED TO TRAIN THE ENTIRE GROUP AS LONG AS THE TEAM IS ALL DOING INDIVIDUAL SKILL WORK-OUTS. A CERTAIN SOMEONE MADE AN ASSUMPTION THAT THE TRAINER WAS ON STAFF AND WAS CLEARLY WRONG!!!!! ....

Big Al - just in case you want to know the real rule (and not just repeat what the moron AD says) - here is the rule from the OHSAA bylaws:

8.1.2) Definition of Providing Individual Skill/Coaching Instruction – It is considered to be providing individual skill/coaching instruction by a school coach when the techniques and skills of the sport are taught in a one-on-one or individual setting. This means instruction or coaching comes directly to a student-athlete from a coach or instructor. A student-athlete watching video/film with a coach or instructor is also an activity defined as individual skill/ coaching instruction. In the team sports of baseball, basketball, field hockey, football, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball and volleyball and the selected individual sports of cross country, track & field and wrestling, individual skill/coaching instruction is permissible when no more than four members of a school team or individuals are present at one time in all facilities where the individual skill/coaching instruction is taking place.

From your statement above "HE IS ALLOWED TO TRAIN THE ENTIRE GROUP AS LONG AS THE TEAM IS ALL DOING INDIVIDUAL SKILL WORK-OUTS" - are you admitting that even you know they were violating the rule by training more than 4 players at a time?

Still waiting for you to tell us how the Carroll incident wasn't a violation........

For a man you all claim to have such high ethical and moral standards, it seems a bit contradictory for said man to “pop in” on fenwicks trainings when he’s coaching for another rival and team in the league, but maybe that’s just my opinion. If you’re so concerned with fenwicks preseason go “pop in” yourself so you can see because apparently others think that’s fine. Just watch closely because you may see something similar being taken back to Badin.

Also, please don’t change your mind and start cheering on Fenwick when the season starts with all the negativity you have made public, just change into your green and hang out in Hamilton.

I guess you have never been to Fenwick. If these coaches were doing this in either gym, everybody in the school would know. So you saying that Kreke was snooping around is a joke. To get to the parking lot or to the Locke room you have to walk through the gym. So any faculty member or student could of seen them doing the drill. But again, you are the one who is supporting a high school recruiter and a coach who is conducting illegal workouts. This coach will not be around if keeps this up. Too many old school people at Fenwick will not have it. Fenwick has already lost enough support and money over the basketball decisions that were made. It has been a nightmare for the principal and upper people out there. This team would have to go 22-0 to get back the support they lost.

I guess you have never been to Fenwick. If these coaches were doing this in either gym, everybody in the school would know. So you saying that Kreke was snooping around is a joke. To get to the parking lot or to the Locke room you have to walk through the gym. So any faculty member or student could of seen them doing the drill. But again, you are the one who is supporting a high school recruiter and a coach who is conducting illegal workouts. This coach will not be around if keeps this up. Too many old school people at Fenwick will not have it. Fenwick has already lost enough support and money over the basketball decisions that were made. It has been a nightmare for the principal and upper people out there. This team would have to go 22-0 to get back the support they lost.
For the sake of him and his family I hope he’s not there long. He didn’t have a chance coming into the position, as if it was his fault the AD made the decision to get rid of Kreke. And if the gym is so easily accessible as you say, go check out a workout.

Well that is where you are making an assumption that is ill conceived. He wouldn’t ask anyone to corroborate anything. Kreke was never someone to cheat to win at all costs. He built a reputation of doing things the right way and Fenwick never had to worry about whether his program would follow the rules. Shame to see Fenwick name being disgraced due to poor choices and poor leadership.

And you haven’t mentioned anything about the Carroll player. Was that Kreke’s friends who reported that dumb stunt? Not only was that a stupid move that shows poor judgement and leadership - how do you think the other GCL coaches feel about it?

What pissed me off most about your reply was the comment about seeing how many wins they have at years end. So disregard the rules as long as you win and everything is all right?
First of all I didn't assume anything.... and you were not there so you are making your assumptions based on what someone told you... seems to me like there are ill feelings about whats going on at Fenwick... I can assure you the new hire is a great coach/and is abiding by the rules... this is not something i heard... I've witnessed his body of work... So I will let you criticize for the rest of your time because you all want the system to fail... and that's ok ... but i will assure you it won't .... and Kreke was in the gym...and whether you like it or not - if the kids felt like he was the best man for the job.... they would have fought to keep him...and before you say anything else about recruiting... find out if anyone -ANYONE in the surrounding area heard about the new hire and knows that he is a great coach... and they inquired themselves about playing for them.... im pretty sure that's how most kids in the GCL get to there respective schools.... or maybe the parents were looking for better academic out put... I sent my daughter to St. Ursula Academy for the academics.

First of all I didn't assume anything.... and you were not there so you are making your assumptions based on what someone told you... seems to me like there are ill feelings about whats going on at Fenwick... I can assure you the new hire is a great coach/and is abiding by the rules... this is not something i heard... I've witnessed his body of work... So I will let you criticize for the rest of your time because you all want the system to fail... and that's ok ... but i will assure you it won't .... and Kreke was in the gym...and whether you like it or not - if the kids felt like he was the best man for the job.... they would have fought to keep him...and before you say anything else about recruiting... find out if anyone -ANYONE in the surrounding area heard about the new hire and knows that he is a great coach... and they inquired themselves about playing for them.... im pretty sure that's how most kids in the GCL get to there respective schools.... or maybe the parents were looking for better academic out put... I sent my daughter to St. Ursula Academy for the academics.

Hey Al how about you go back and worry about your “Middie Magic” programs... Lord knows they need help. I’m surprised you even support Fenwick since you grew up with the Purple and White!

For a man you all claim to have such high ethical and moral standards, it seems a bit contradictory for said man to “pop in” on fenwicks trainings when he’s coaching for another rival and team in the league, but maybe that’s just my opinion. If you’re so concerned with fenwicks preseason go “pop in” yourself so you can see because apparently others think that’s fine. Just watch closely because you may see something similar being taken back to Badin.

Also, please don’t change your mind and start cheering on Fenwick when the season starts with all the negativity you have made public, just change into your green and hang out in Hamilton.

Love when somebody gets on for the first time and post... obviously this is a current basketball staff member. Any faculty member until practices are closed can go anywhere they want in the building duh! Fenwick can never truly have a closed practice because of the way they designed the facility. Ask anybody that has ever stepped foot into the gym about that.

I already know of a few schools that will not play them due to the recruiting. Of course the kids didn't want to keep him because he held them accountable. But most people around the program, and alumni wanted to keep him. And if he is abiding the laws then why has he been reported to the state for the recruiting violations. I don't care if it was his assistant or not, it happened under his watch and he hired the guy.

And of the 4 original recruits that played on the summer league team, why did only one enroll? I'm sure those kids from Dayton and Trotwood were coming to Fenwick because of the academics. Fenwick has never actively recruited. If he keeps on pulling this, I'm sure there will be another parent meeting to get rid of him because there little boys won't be playing.

Love when somebody gets on for the first time and post... obviously this is a current basketball staff member. Any faculty member until practices are closed can go anywhere they want in the building duh! Fenwick can never truly have a closed practice because of the way they designed the facility. Ask anybody that has ever stepped foot into the gym about that.
Then go in and see for yourself if there are illegal trainings. That was the issue, correct? Put it all to rest. Seems simple enough. And doesn’t everyone post for the first time at one point? I thought this was a public forum or would you like to keep it in your circle so everyone agrees with you?

Then go in and see for yourself if there are illegal trainings. That was the issue, correct? Put it all to rest. Seems simple enough. And doesn’t everyone post for the first time at one point? I thought this was a public forum or would you like to keep it in your circle so everyone agrees with you?

Only if it’s on a day where I get free Wendy’s or Subway!

Coaches who try to get a school to lower standards to get a transfer into the school come across as someone willing to bend the rules. A Fenwick teacher told me that the head coach did that over the summer. What kind of coach let’s players from other schools play with his team in the summer. It’s blatant recruiting if the players have not enrolled first. At the least, that is not building a program. Transfers don’t come out of the woodwork unless the head coach has somehow communicated that he has an open door. You build a program through hard work. Kids work, get better, and climb the ladder. You don’t undermine that message by bringing in a bunch of transfers, and four being allowed to play on the summer team constitutes a bunch.

I don’t know anything about all of the uproar over workouts or summer league but red and gold what you said is spot on. You build championship teams from within from the ground up through hard work,etc. great comment. Yes there are some exceptions,but for the most part championships are won by great teams, not just because you have good individual players.