GCL Co-Ed Basketball 22/23

Good win for McNick last night v. The future State Champion Fenwick Falcons. (See above)
Was surprised to see McNick beat them by 20+. Thought the eventual state champions had turned a corner and started playing good basketball LOL. Any insights into what happened Friday night down off Beachmont?

Looked like Badin should've stole one Friday at Fenwick.
Kinda, but not really. Fenwick was the better team. Badin just happened to shoot lights out from 3 in the first half. They came back down to earth in the 2nd half. Credit Badin for hitting the shots though. Fenwick was horrible closing out on shooters that first half.

Kinda, but not really. Fenwick was the better team. Badin just happened to shoot lights out from 3 in the first half. They came back down to earth in the 2nd half. Credit Badin for hitting the shots though. Fenwick was horrible closing out on shooters that first half.
I'm guessing if Kreke could've had one win in his last season it would've been that one.

Defense only gave up 14 points in 2nd Half. Jude Hooks 23 & DJ Brown with 17 led the 2nd Half comeback. Falcons finish 3rd in GCL CO-ED and 14-7 overall. Seeded #4 Division ll.

Lost to Carlisle, Elder, McNick, CJ twice,
Alter twice.

Defense only gave up 14 points in 2nd Half. Jude Hooks 23 & DJ Brown with 17 led the 2nd Half comeback. Falcons finish 3rd in GCL CO-ED and 14-7 overall. Seeded #4 Division ll.

Lost to Carlisle, Elder, McNick, CJ twice,
Alter twice.
They can go as far as Hooks takes them in my opinion. I feel like Temming should be dominating and he hasn't put up the numbers I expected.

Down goes Fenwick… upset by 11 seed Hughes 51-49. By the looks of it, they had a great look for a 3 to win it at the buzzer but rimmed out.

Down goes Fenwick… upset by 11 seed Hughes 51-49. By the looks of it, they had a great look for a 3 to win it at the buzzer but rimmed out.
I was curious as to what followers thought of Fenwick's season? I saw them early and thought they were pretty talented with good size. 15-9 and 5-5?

I was curious as to what followers thought of Fenwick's season? I saw them early and thought they were pretty talented with good size. 15-9 and 5-5?
I saw Fenwick play a couple of times this year and they were solid. They are well-coached, run a disciplined offense and get after it on defense. They played a solid schedule including Oakwood(SWBL Champ), Middletown, Elder, Preble Shawnee(solid this year) in their non-league games.

Final:

Taft 39
McNick 26

Alter up next?
McNick showed the knights how it can be done. I was at that game and what I thought hurt McNick was their lack of outside shooting. Alter doesn't lack that. If the knights slow them and hit 3s I can see them advancing.

McNick showed the knights how it can be done. I was at that game and what I thought hurt McNick was their lack of outside shooting. Alter doesn't lack that. If the knights slow them and hit 3s I can see them advancing.
So McNick played deliberate or “keep away” in the first half? (13-10). What changed in the second half?

So McNick played deliberate or “keep away” in the first half? (13-10). What changed in the second half?
Taft turned up the pressure on defense. Also their shooter Norton shot 0/8 in the first half. I believe he made 2 3s in the second half which got them going. And when McNick is packing in the 2-3 zone basically forcing you to shoot the 3 ball you have to make it.

That's crazy
So, younger kids don’t benefit from fighting to win a league championship? Championships at the younger levels build confidence for the future, along with enthusiasm for the program. You sound like someone who never played a team sport.

So, younger kids don’t benefit from fighting to win a league championship? Championships at the younger levels build confidence for the future, along with enthusiasm for the program. You sound like someone who never played a team sport.
It's crazy because it makes no sense. Freshman and JV are for the development of your varsity program. The makeup of those teams varies based on where kids are within that program. The emphasis for each school for those 2 teams is development, not wins. While everyone goes out to win, you're still playing a game, none of the coaches truly care about the records. Their focus is on whether the kids are developing properly to support the varsity program in the future. Wins/losses, and "league standings" isn't for the kids, it's for the parents and oddball school alumni.

It's crazy because it makes no sense. Freshman and JV are for the development of your varsity program. The makeup of those teams varies based on where kids are within that program. The emphasis for each school for those 2 teams is development, not wins. While everyone goes out to win, you're still playing a game, none of the coaches truly care about the records. Their focus is on whether the kids are developing properly to support the varsity program in the future. Wins/losses, and "league standings" isn't for the kids, it's for the parents and oddball school alumni.
You’re very wrong. Striving to win encourages development. Never knew a coach who didn’t want to win. You sure you played?

Wanting to win and having your only goal be winning are 2 different things. F/JV goals should be player development. A Freshmen team that goes 6-16 but has 3 varsity contributors as sophomores is vastly more beneficial to a program than a team that goes 18-4 and has 12 sophomores on JV the next year.