GCL Co-ed 21/22

Bottom line: How many high schools, large ones let alone small ones, are successful in the three major sports (football, basketball, baseball)? Outside of the GCL South schools, I can't think of many. Basketball is, has been, and always will be the second or third priority for most athletes at Badin. Hard to be good at basketball when you don't have a core group of players who make basketball their number one priority.

My guess would be they kept 11 seniors to not be criticized. I truly don't know enough about the make-up of the teams. Parents are over the top intrusive in HS athletics. I would agree about the head baseball coach but that has zero to do with how the programs are treated differently. I'm pretty sure he gets criticized as well, but when you win the way he does it falls on deaf ears.
BTW-the football team had 25 seniors on its roster this past season. Doesn't that also seem excessive in your way of thinking? Winning quiets the negative comments. The question is a chicken and egg thought process. Does the complaining cause the losing or is it reversed. My playing career ended 40 yrs ago and my very knowledgeable father never said a word about the coaching.
I will explain it one more time. I said the programs are treated differently by the coaching staffs not the school administrators. Some coaches (baseball) will play the talented players no matter what their grade. Making a team stronger. Some coaches(basketball last year) played 11 seniors to pacify parents not to build a program. Hurting the program for a couple years.
Good try on your gotcha moment about the 25 seniors on the football team. I am sure you are aware of the roster limits in basketball and football. So comparing apples and watermelons makes no sense.
I do find it interesting that you managed to call out high school parents( deservedly so) and also the least talent players you think you’ve witnessed, but when I criticized a coach(deservedly so) You got butt hurt over it. Seems a bit odd.

Bottom line: How many high schools, large ones let alone small ones, are successful in the three major sports (football, basketball, baseball)? Outside of the GCL South schools, I can't think of many. Basketball is, has been, and always will be the second or third priority for most athletes at Badin. Hard to be good at basketball when you don't have a core group of players who make basketball their number one priority.
Absolutely correct. Badin has maybe 2 basketball only players on the varsity roster. I would assume most parents and coaches realize this also. So if you are in that position you don’t make decisions like last year. They ran kids off because juniors didn’t want to play jv again when they were more talented than a lot of the 11 seniors. Then you have sophomores not getting a lot of time on jv because sophomores are stuck at the jv level because of the log jam they created at the varsity level. I will give Kreke credit for playing underclassmen up this year. Helped by the fact numbers were down.

Totally agree. One of the major reasons Alter has been elite for many many years is they have, for the most part, basketball only guys. A great athlete like a Doug Penno is capable of pulling off both but they are rare.

I will explain it one more time. I said the programs are treated differently by the coaching staffs not the school administrators. Some coaches (baseball) will play the talented players no matter what their grade. Making a team stronger. Some coaches(basketball last year) played 11 seniors to pacify parents not to build a program. Hurting the program for a couple years.
Good try on your gotcha moment about the 25 seniors on the football team. I am sure you are aware of the roster limits in basketball and football. So comparing apples and watermelons makes no sense.
I do find it interesting that you managed to call out high school parents( deservedly so) and also the least talent players you think you’ve witnessed, but when I criticized a coach(deservedly so) You got butt hurt over it. Seems a bit odd.
I actually didn't say "least" talented, I said lesser talented. Not really butthurt about the coaching, just feel the guy is a solid coach. JMO
The roster size doesn't really matter in basketball either as you can dress as many as you like. As long as there are chairs to sit on. LOL
Look no big deal, we just disagree. I hope your son finishes the season strong.

There’s enough talent to compete with anybody on their schedule except three teams. From what I understand Kreke takes no input from his assistants. Haha that half court stuff should have been stopped years ago. Kinda shows their lack of wanting to be a legitimate program.
Really. Every yahoo who claims to know basketball says, “We should be running and pressing.” You should play a style that gives you a chance to beat the best teams on your schedule. The other teams will take care of themselves. Your talent dictates style of play. He’s playing with last year’s JV team. No one else in the League is doing that. Bytheway, only a poor coach loads up an average team with all seniors. A big chunk of this year’s problems falls squarely on last year’s coach. If your team is really good, at the very least, most of the guys off the bench should be underclassmen. And, I like Weisgerber also, but that was a mistake. Maybe he looked at it differently knowing it was his last year.

Last edited:
Totally agree. One of the major reasons Alter has been elite for many many years is they have, for the most part, basketball only guys. A great athlete like a Doug Penno is capable of pulling off both but they are rare.
Slight correction to your thesus about Alter. The VAST majority of Alter hoopsters through the years have been multisports guys. This year's early schedule benefitted from a lumpy football season and a 2nd round exit. Every year for the last 20+ m/l had a late start bc of football and thus early season practices are often shorthanded. The basketball only athletes are the exception and generally pertain to the occasional 6'5" plus guy. Even the players who reached the NFL doubled...Can point to one team, in specific, where 8 of 10 guys went football in college, 1/2 D1. Also people outside the program don't really appreciate how significantlyk the UD pipeline has benefitted Alter sports, particularly basketball. First D1 title virtually every kid had a dad who played for Dayton of whom 3 played in the NBA. This is now in its 3rd generation. Bazelak and Uhl fit the pattern. Just opinion but also think Dayton area skews to hoops more than other parts of the state.

Well CJ struggled with Carroll Tuesday night, but I think they were just looking ahead to Fridays matchup with Alter. As winner takes control of the conference title race. It could be a long night if they can't stop Conner. Just like it was the first time they met this year.

How good is CJ? Carroll is a difficult place to play and their staff does a good job as they rarely are very talented but always put together a competitive team.

Badin has won two gcl titles. 1996 & 2008. It’s right there in the link. GCL in 1996 and GCL central in 2008.
They also went up to state twice, think it was 97 and 98? The league was insanely good from the mid 90's through early 2000's. I think they had a run of like 15 years with someone going to the final four during that time. The D-2 Regional was often referred to as the GCL Invitational with 3 teams in it alot of years.

But most on here are correct, Badin is not a Basketball School, and honestly will never be, they have had times when they are pretty good but not sustained by any means. Hardly ever a push over, but rarely really good

Alter shut out C-J in the 1st quarter. Went up 23-0 early in the 2nd qtr. Cruised to a 19pt win, 64-45. Finesse defense did just enough.

Friday was complete domination by the knights after that hot start. They stayed the course and never let the Eagles come within 15 points. I thought CJ would put up a tougher fight. But maybe the Knights are just that much better than everyone else in the GCL.. As the season comes to a close, POY has to be Jacob Conner. Looked at it this morning, he is 4 blocks away from breaking the GCL record. And COY better be Coulter he has done just a fantastic job with these kids. Wonder if they will still #1 in this weeks AP Poll or if SVSM will jump them.

Friday was complete domination by the knights after that hot start. They stayed the course and never let the Eagles come within 15 points. I thought CJ would put up a tougher fight. But maybe the Knights are just that much better than everyone else in the GCL.. As the season comes to a close, POY has to be Jacob Conner. Looked at it this morning, he is 4 blocks away from breaking the GCL record. And COY better be Coulter he has done just a fantastic job with these kids. Wonder if they will still #1 in this weeks AP Poll or if SVSM will jump them.
Coulter is a joke. He wins with great players. He’s a pathetic in-game coach. He is despised by Alter fans, and is a detriment to Alter basketball.

Coulter is a joke. He wins with great players. He’s a pathetic in-game coach. He is despised by Alter fans, and is a detriment to Alter basketball.

This a complete bs statement; what evidence or examples can you give.... detriment to Alter basketball? If things stay the direction they're going, he will another a league title, finish with 20+ wins again, and a district appearance/title.

Slight correction to your thesus about Alter. The VAST majority of Alter hoopsters through the years have been multisports guys. This year's early schedule benefitted from a lumpy football season and a 2nd round exit. Every year for the last 20+ m/l had a late start bc of football and thus early season practices are often shorthanded. The basketball only athletes are the exception and generally pertain to the occasional 6'5" plus guy. Even the players who reached the NFL doubled...Can point to one team, in specific, where 8 of 10 guys went football in college, 1/2 D1. Also people outside the program don't really appreciate how significantlyk the UD pipeline has benefitted Alter sports, particularly basketball. First D1 title virtually every kid had a dad who played for Dayton of whom 3 played in the NBA. This is now in its 3rd generation. Bazelak and Uhl fit the pattern. Just opinion but also think Dayton area skews to hoops more than other parts of the state.
Exactly, there were ton's of kids at Alter that were multi-sport. Honestly, that is part of the reason why they are successful.

Exactly, there were ton's of kids at Alter that were multi-sport. Honestly, that is part of the reason why they are successful.
That’s stupid. Basketball is a skill game. If you want to be good at it you had better be in the gym and not on the football field. Also, Coulter is a very good coach. Their half court offensive stuff is really good. His teams improve every year, even in the years that they didn’t have great success.

That’s stupid. Basketball is a skill game. If you want to be good at it you had better be in the gym and not on the football field. Also, Coulter is a very good coach. Their half court offensive stuff is really good. His teams improve every year, even in the years that they didn’t have great success.
Please don't coach children.

So exactly what age should kids pick to specialize in one sport now a days? 4,5,6 years of age. I will make sure when I get home today to tell my son and daughter to pick a sport and quit the rest.

Alter is playing Princeton HS tomorrow. Their game vs McNicholas was canceled but shame on McN for waiting until an hour before Alter needed to board their bus for F/JV to cancel when everyone else had canceled this morning or around lunchtime. Alter was also to play Thurgood Marshall tomorrow and they informed Alter they "overbooked" at the last minute. Typical DPS and their bs disorganization and poor communication....

Should be a great test for the Knights going against a fully healthy Princeton squad tomorrow. I noticed that the GCL Coed teams don't schedule GMC teams at all so this is a unique match up. Knights playing GWOC and GMC teams this year should help them in the tourney.

Curious on the insight: Badin doesn't play Hamilton, Fenwick doesn't play Middletown. Carroll won't play Beavecreek etc. CJ usually plays a couple of city league/nearby rivals and Alter will play GWOC neighbors and Fairmont all the time. McNicholas does play Anderson + Turpin regularly.

Alter is playing Princeton HS tomorrow. Their game vs McNicholas was canceled but shame on McN for waiting until an hour before Alter needed to board their bus for F/JV to cancel when everyone else had canceled this morning or around lunchtime. Alter was also to play Thurgood Marshall tomorrow and they informed Alter they "overbooked" at the last minute. Typical DPS and their bs disorganization and poor communication....

Should be a great test for the Knights going against a fully healthy Princeton squad tomorrow. I noticed that the GCL Coed teams don't schedule GMC teams at all so this is a unique match up. Knights playing GWOC and GMC teams this year should help them in the tourney.

Curious on the insight: Badin doesn't play Hamilton, Fenwick doesn't play Middletown. Carroll won't play Beavecreek etc. CJ usually plays a couple of city league/nearby rivals and Alter will play GWOC neighbors and Fairmont all the time. McNicholas does play Anderson + Turpin regularly.
Explain overbooking? They schedule more games than allowed?

McNick often plays the publics in their area (Turpin, Anderson, Milford). I don't recall Fenwick playing Middletown or Franklin in recent years. Badin was playing both Hamilton and Fairfield for a few years, but they have not played either in a while.

Explain overbooking? They schedule more games than allowed?
Nicely saying, Thurgood either straight up canceled because they didn't want to play or they are still having the trend in DPS of disorganization and un-professionalism...

Thurgood also voted Alter the #4 seed and gave Trotwood, Dunbar, and Ponitz 1, 2, 3.... Everyone else voted Alter #1 so that coach can hop off.

I could really see McNicholas, Badin, Fenwick, and CJ all advancing to sectional finals/districts. Path looks really good for all of them and their schedules prepare them well.

Nicely saying, Thurgood either straight up canceled because they didn't want to play or they are still having the trend in DPS of disorganization and un-professionalism...

Thurgood also voted Alter the #4 seed and gave Trotwood, Dunbar, and Ponitz 1, 2, 3.... Everyone else voted Alter #1 so that coach can hop off.
wonder why thurgood voted for trotwood dunbar and ponitz ahead of alter.......really makes you wonder......:unsure:

wonder why thurgood voted for trotwood dunbar and ponitz ahead of alter.......really makes you wonder......:unsure:
Same reason all those schools and Cincy teams concluded together to vote each other the highest seeds last year for the Covid-shortened season seedings for the playoffs last year to screw over the actual good teams. Alter curb stomped Trotwood and Dunbar last year in football. Massie massacred Thurgood.

Surely it's not about talent or style... Alter took Princeton to the woodshed Saturday by 30.

Tournament begins in a week... win or go home and anything can happen.

Nice paradox considering it's February. Talk inclusion, walk exclusion. Gore the other guy's ox. Sad bit of sportsmanship.