Game of Thrones: House of the Dragon

Solid finish to the season but the last 2 episodes felt like they ran through a lot of plot in a short amount of time, wish the slower ones earlier in the season were condensed so the final actions that put the dance into play were a little more well... played out. Thought the young boy did a great job of acting, when he showed up at Storms end in a Cessna and he saw a 747 parked next door the expression on his face was great. Also the way things played out in Baratheon's Great Hall was easily the best acted scene of the episode. But I am just not feeling Emma D'Arcy as Queen Rhaenyra, to me she seems too wooden and just not very believable. On to season two and I hope they add some ice to the story and old school Medieval Battles to counteract all the Dragon stuff.
Playing a woman must be a real challenge for her they/them/ze/zir. The actress who played the younger Rhaenyra was much better in her role.

Playing a woman must be a real challenge for her they/them/ze/zir. The actress who played the younger Rhaenyra was much better in her role.
Agree but I could care less about which teams she plays for. I actually think visually the make up and costume folks have done a great job with her, she just seems to have the same expression for everything. I mean her big close up was the ending cut and I was like that is it?

Agree but I could care less about which teams she plays for. I actually think visually the make up and costume folks have done a great job with her, she just seems to have the same expression for everything. I mean her big close up was the ending cut and I was like that is it?
I did liked the ending because it wasn't wordy, didn't force the idea down my throat. It was brief though. Though I had thought the ending was going to be a certain dragon rider in grief begging forgiveness for his stupidity and switching sides. I've still not put that out of a possibility.
But I am just not feeling Emma D'Arcy as Queen Rhaenyra,
Very popular in the role but I agree with this. D'Arcy taking notes from every Queen Victoria depiction ever and that doesn't seem to jive with the same character in the first episodes. This was a maverick with emotions on her sleeve. Now it's a 30 year old dowager.

Last edited:
Even better on second viewing. Watching on a tv screen has to be amazing.

Someone had to tell Daemond. Not a book reader so I don't know but the only one that could have is Aemond. Even if they didn't show it, I think there's now a mole in the Hightower camp.

Even better on second viewing. Watching on a tv screen has to be amazing.

Someone had to tell Daemond. Not a book reader so I don't know but the only one that could have is Aemond. Even if they didn't show it, I think there's now a mole in the Hightower camp.

I assumed the Baratheon’s sent word.

No witnesses, but if I send my son to your castle as a peaceful messenger and he ends up dead, my first conclusion is to accuse you.

I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. But OK. If someone is going to presume you killed their kid, they're not likely to believe you when you say someone else did it and there's no body. Note my very first post on the episode. "no body." We could banter this all day and not be closer to writer's intent. So let's not.

I'm sure they'll fill in the details next season. Right now I think the intentionally dangling plot point are those "other matters which demanded Daemond's attention" and why he was singing to that dragon. Then the sudden jump to Luke Sky... Targarian flying to Beratheon with no explanations of what Daemond was up to.

I'm not sure why you're bringing this up. But OK. If someone is going to presume you killed their kid, they're not likely to believe you when you say someone else did it and there's no body. Note my very first post on the episode. "no body." We could banter this all day and not be closer to writer's intent. So let's not.

I'm sure they'll fill in the details next season. Right now I think the intentionally dangling plot point are those "other matters which demanded Daemond's attention" and why he was singing to that dragon. Then the sudden jump to Luke Sky... Targarian flying to Beratheon with no explanations of what Daemond was up to.

That’s not really a dangling plot point. During the episode Daemon states there are 6 unclaimed dragons. Daemon goes to sire one of them as we see on camera. That’s the “matter which demanded Daemon’s attention.”

Spectacular season ending episode with several jaw dropping sequences including the parley on the wall at dusk as the Hand delivers the Kings offer and the fantastic game of cat & mouse between the two dragons and their riders.

IMO Season one of HOD matched the best seasons of GOT. I didn't expect that and hats off to all those involved (except the moron in charge of lighting).

Not that the other episodes haven’t, but the finale felt very cinematic.

When Rhaenyra was crowned it felt very much like you were watching a movie on the big screen.
Yes it did. The parley scene on the wall as the sun was setting was spectacular. It was visually magnificent and tightly scripted & acted. Ditto for the scene in the Baratheon great hall. But for sheer exuberance and horror the contest between the two dragons and their riders stole the show. Brilliantly staged.

Spectacular season ending episode with several jaw dropping sequences including the parley on the wall at dusk as the Hand delivers the Kings offer and the fantastic game of cat & mouse between the two dragons and their riders.

IMO Season one of HOD matched the best seasons of GOT. I didn't expect that and hats off to all those involved (except the moron in charge of lighting).
I wouldn’t go that far. I think the last season made people forget how great the earth seasons of GoT were. You not only had the main plot story of the fight be the Houses for the throne, but you also had the mystery of the white walkers in the background.

Last season of GOT can certainly play on the memories and HotD maybe did over-do the birthing drama just a tad. One is cool. Two is comparison. Three is ... wash, rinse, repeat no matter how well done, IMO. But different flavors in general. HotD to me relies more on display of the story and relationship than even early GOT that was relying on anticipation and execution of certain scenes.

Yes it did. The parley scene on the wall as the sun was setting was spectacular. It was visually magnificent and tightly scripted & acted. Ditto for the scene in the Baratheon great hall. But for sheer exuberance and horror the contest between the two dragons and their riders stole the show. Brilliantly staged.
On my rewatch, I actually wouldn't say the dragons "stole the show" as much as I liked it. The crowning scene begin to end was terrific even on a laptop. That's my stole the show if I were to pick one. For a GOT episode, to pick a non-bloody scene is real tribute to the whole enterprise.

That’s not really a dangling plot point. During the episode Daemon states there are 6 unclaimed dragons. Daemon goes to sire one of them as we see on camera. That’s the “matter which demanded Daemon’s attention.”
You've read the books?

I wondered about it when trying to figure what he was up to. He didn't take that one kid that doesn't yet have a dragon and he already has one so I didn't see a point. So maybe not dangling but poorly done.

I still call dangling. It was an abrubt jump, We'll see what they plan but as I said the FIRST time, we can conjecture just about anything, let's not. I've not read the books, so for me, it's just fun trying to predict their intent.

Last edited:
Last season of GOT can certainly play on the memories and HotD maybe did over-do the birthing drama just a tad. One is cool. Two is comparison. Three is ... wash, rinse, repeat no matter how well done, IMO. But different flavors in general. HotD to me relies more on display of the story and relationship than even early GOT that was relying on anticipation and execution of certain scenes.

On my rewatch, I actually wouldn't say the dragons "stole the show" as much as I liked it. The crowning scene begin to end was terrific even on a laptop. That's my stole the show if I were to pick one. For a GOT episode, to pick a non-bloody scene is real tribute to the whole enterprise.
The crowning scene was very good. But for me my sympathy for the kid on the little dragon made that entire sequence hard to watch.

That's a scene probably plays better on a big screen than my laptop. I did like when little dragon b-slapped big dragon, even if it was in the quick long run,... a bad move.

Well, I finally caught up, not having watched for a month or so as my wife was out of town. I've learned that this is the rare show that binging detracts from its enjoyment as it is better with this one to have a week to reflect and anticipate what's coming. As with all sci-fi and fantasy shows, I am having a hard time completely buying in. I am also having a problem with finding a likable character to root for. Maybe Rhaenyra's bastard sons, but now that's been cut down by one!

Well, I finally caught up, not having watched for a month or so as my wife was out of town. I've learned that this is the rare show that binging detracts from its enjoyment as it is better with this one to have a week to reflect and anticipate what's coming. As with all sci-fi and fantasy shows, I am having a hard time completely buying in. I am also having a problem with finding a likable character to root for. Maybe Rhaenyra's bastard sons, but now that's been cut down by one!
They need a Hot Pie.

D27577ED-C1E9-46AF-BE38-63BAAACA5883.jpeg

this article may be of interest to you.