From Harrisburg Newspaper

Wheelman

Years ago, in an episode of "The Twilight Zone," a beatnik awoke from an accident to find himself in an all-white room that was empty except for one thing: a phonograph with an endless stack of 45 rpm records.

The beatnik, mildly confused after getting no response from anyone but otherwise feeling fine, decided to relax by turning on the phonograph and playing one of the records.

It turned out the music was a screeching operatic song, much to the disgust of the beatnik. He changed the record; same song. He changed it again; same song. And again. And again. And again.

Clutching his ears and screaming in agony, the beatnik came to the horrible realization: He had awoken in his personal ----.

This is how the rest of the Mid-Penn Conference Commonwealth football teams, including most recent beatnik CD East, must feel about Harrisburg High. Same song, over and over and over.

Yesterday, Harrisburg (6-0 overall, 5-0 Commonwealth) kept drawing away from East (2-4, 1-3), the latter playing as well as it could despite the absence of three key starters, eventually producing a 42-0 triumph at overcast and cool Severance Field.

It was indeed the same Harrisburg song. The Cougars produced their third straight shutout -- the Harrisburg defense has not yielded a touchdown in four straight games -- held East to 51 net yards (all rushing) with 34 coming after both teams had subbed in the fourth quarter. East had four first downs and did not cross midfield until the penultimate play of the game, when it reached the Harrisburg 48.

Severance Field has indeed become Hades on the Hill for opposing offenses.

Even Harrisburg coach George Chaump had to agree with the statement, "Same game every week."

Although Harrisburg's passing game, no longer the smooth machine it once was, sputtered again, halfback Deries Hodge picked up the slack rather nicely.

Hodge rushed 25 times for a season-high 253 yards and scored on runs of 24 and 12 yards. With 805 yards and 12 touchdowns this season, Hodge has become the face of the Harrisburg offense.

"I really didn't know it was going to be like this," said Hodge, averaging 21 carries per game. "Coach [Chaump] said my time would come, and I guess it has."

CD East head coach George Landis, his team crippled by injuries to quarterback Travis McFarland and fullback-linebacker Anthony Jackson, had simultaneous kind words for Hodge and his defense

"If you looked closely you saw that we were in good [defensive] position a lot of times, but that kid [Hodge] is hard to tackle," Landis said. "Physically, they're just a superior team. Their defense just swallows you up."

The Cougars received a huge break on East's first punt when Carlos Smith picked up a bouncing ball at his 5 and looped deep into his end zone to try for a big return. Instead, he was trapped by two Panthers, who were denied a safety when Smith barely reached the ball over the goal line.

Instead of a 2-0 CD East lead, the Panthers found themselves down 7-0 when Harrisburg went 991/2 yards, Hodge chewing up 77 of them on six carries.

Then, after Harrisburg's Ivan Holloway recovered a muffed kickoff at the East 22, the Panthers' Devin Washington positioned himself perfectly to pick off Nate Brown's pass in the end zone. But the ball slipped right through Washington's arms to Smith for a 20-yard TD.

Hodge engineered a third scoring drive early in the second period for a 21-0 lead, but Harrisburg turned into Harrisbumble late in the half. The Cougars incurred five penalties among their last nine plays, which included a striking inability to spike the ball twice inside the East 15, allowing the clock to expire

I'm only concerned because we know nothing about them. However it seems that the matchup favors Moeller.

This is one Harrisburg person's thoughts:
"Moeller is not people crack them up to be. There record is 5 wins and 2 loses. So, stop trying to put Harrisburg down. We can't win from losing with idiots like you that always want to see us lose. But, you all can keep hating from the sideline, while we are 6-0 and undefeated right now. HARRISBURG COUGARS ALL DAY!!! WE ARE THE MIGHTY COUGARS AND WE WILL WIN OUR DIVISION."

They are pretty cocky...We'll see what kind of stats they want to put up aginst our defense. I hope wersel and jones have 8 sacks a piece because they are underestimating us bigtime !!!!!!!

The varsity football game between Moeller High School and Harrisburg High School, scheduled for Saturday, October 14, 2006, has been moved to The University of Cincinnati’s Nippert Stadium. Game time will be at 7:00 PM.

Harrisburg Cougars

Please don't think that all of the comments you read on Pennlive are from Harrisburg fans, the true Harrisburg fans are not boastful or big headed. We the true fans are the ones that will be in the stands on Saturday cheering on our boys, win, lose or draw. There are some serious imposters on PENNLIVE who will say anything to discredit our team, school and fans because we are a inner city team that has recently gotten a new coach, well he actually started his career at our school, new playing facilities and the schools in our area have this love hate thing for us, they cannot stand us being ranked #1 in the state for AAAA football.

So be rest assured that we will not come into your backyard with anything but humility, you guys are the ones with the state championships, we are trying to achieve what you already have done.

GO COUGARS!!!!

moeman thats what happens to me when i study for a good 4 1/2 hours non stop. just doesnt make sense any more.

example:

since when does a equilaterall angle automatically equal a equiangular angle but a equiangular angle doesnt automatically equal a equilaterall?

or is it the other way around?

just doesnt make sense... like my spelling

Quick assesment on Harrisburg;
In the midst of building a program; Very successful year so far; Some good athletic talent in skilled positions; Good size up front (how athletic will be determined on Saturday); Playing very confident right now; Hasn't had to figure out how to play from behind yet; Can they? That will be the situation Moeller needs to put them in early Sat; Like with any team (and especially this one) if you let them stay in it long enough.......they have enough talent to sting you; One play at a time, One game at a time is all Moeller needs to worry about and control right now and things will be fine

I don't know, this sorta reminds of the Massy game. Massy had that huge Oline that didn't seem that athletic with great athletes in skill positions (Gamble). I'm suer Harrisburg is a little different having a very skilled QB. The Massy team had never punted before the Moe game and won there first 2 game with an average of like 500 yards offense and 50 point wins. Hopefully the Big Moe can show these Harrisburg boys how to play real team football.

Harrisburg Cougars

These boys are a good group, but they haven't been tested yet, you can tell by the scores, they are blowing teams out. With that being said, I want them to really feel the pressure on Saturday this will show where their heart's are at, we have never won any type of championship, always had the players but never materialized, so this team could make history.

I want them to know what it feels like to be in a tight game, this will make them stronger, right now, I don't think they have the killer instinct because they have never been in this type of game.

You don't need to check any birth certificates, they are all 18 or under, I think it may have something to do with TMI :shrug: or this expensive water in the city of Harrisburg :)

Offensive weapons

The cougars go deep, when the quarterback and his receivers are clicking they are magnificent and all of the backs are good, there is D Hodge, who's backed up by two junior studs.

I don't even see why Moe should show up. Maybe Moe could send you the win in the mail and you could save all the money you would spend. I don't think Moe has ever scheduled such a formidable foe. But you know what, just for sh*ts and giggles, why doesn't Moe show up and we'll see what happens. That's the least Moe could do- share the field with this team of teams!

hbgcougar said:
The cougars go deep, when the quarterback and his receivers are clicking they are magnificent and all of the backs are good, there is D Hodge, who's backed up by two junior studs.

Speaking of D Hodge, I find it interesting that he "transferred" to Harrisburg for his senior year. Is Coombs moonlighting in PA?:D

One guy from Harrisburg on a newpaper forum said:
"I feel Harrisburg needs to kill em fast and take no prisoners on their 35-7 victory over Moeller. Good team not great and very very beatable.

Once again Hbg 35 Moeller 7"

Another said:
"Harrisburg is going to give those kids who pay 8,650 dollars year to go to high school all they can handle."

Should be some good bulletin board material...

yea they sure do a lot of talking over there in PA....Im sure we'll show them what we're about, come Saturday night

Last edited:
wildbill044 said:
Speaking of D Hodge, I find it interesting that he "transferred" to Harrisburg for his senior year. Is Coombs moonlighting in PA?:D

Hodge transferred to Harrisburg from the Glenn Mills School. Glenn Mills is a school for court adjudicated youth. Usually, juveniles are sent there for minor offenses. Often, courts will send kids who also have athletic potential rather than warehouse them in the juvenile system.

I have a friend who is a counseler at the school. He's a former college football player (D2) and the kids respect him. Discipline is key to the program's success. Often, many of these kids have not had anyone in their lives to steer them in the right direction, or they are good kids who get caught up in the wrong crowd.

I spent a weekend at the school years ago. My friend had two students he wanted me to talk to who were being courted by Division 1A programs. I played D1 ball, and he thought I could help prepare them.

The one kid was from Flint, MI and the other was from Pittsburgh, PA. The kid from Flint had offers coming in from all over the country. He was a physical freak (6'3", 205, 4.3, 400lb bench, 500lb squat, 38" vertical). I believe he was a running back. The other kid was smaller, but ran about a 4.3. He was being recruited as a corner.

The kids were great. Very polite and courteous, and they seemed to absorb everything I said. Later, I found the kid from Flint came from a solid family. Both parents were professionals (Doctor and lawyer), but he got caught joyriding with some kids who had stolen a car. The judge sent him to Glenn Mills so he could continue play ball. Also, I found he had a 3.4 GPA.

Once the kids serve their time at the school they can return to their former schools. I grew up in the Harrisburg area and Hodge is a pretty popular name there. I'm sure I know the kid's parents.

I've been reading some of the threads on this forum regarding this upcoming game. I'm glad to see Harrisburg's program is finally rounding into shape under Chaump. Harrisburg High is actually the combination of two city schools (John Harris and William Penn). Both schools were football powerhouses, but the schools were combined due to declining enrollment.

Harrisburg has always been loaded with talent despite the fact families have been moving to the suburbs. Schools such as: Central Dauphin, East, Susquehanna , Steel-High and Middletown have all benefited. Plus, Bishop McDevitt has lured a lot of talent from Harrisburg and other schools in the area.

Schools like McDevitt and Cumberland Valley have been a thorn in the side of Harrisburg for years. Some of you have questioned the competition in Central PA. Last year, Harrisburg missed the playoffs District with two losses. One of those losses was to nationally ranked McDevitt. It was a close game and McDevitt had to come from behind to win. Some say last year's team was better than this year's.

I just thought I'd give you guys a little background on Hodge, Harrisburg High and Central PA football. Moeller was a Top 10 program when I was in school. That was back during the Faust era. It appears the pride and tradition are still strong, but you most not underestimate any opponent. Especially, a team ranked in the Top 10 in any state. I just hope the game is called fairly. Bad officiating has derailed Harrisburg in their own conference in the past.

evile said:
Hodge transferred to Harrisburg from the Glenn Mills School. Glenn Mills is a school for court adjudicated youth. Usually, juveniles are sent there for minor offenses. Often, courts will send kids who also have athletic potential rather than warehouse them in the juvenile system.

I just thought I'd give you guys a little background on Hodge, Harrisburg High and Central PA football. Moeller was a Top 10 program when I was in school. That was back during the Faust era. It appears the pride and tradition are still strong, but you most not underestimate any opponent. Especially, a team ranked in the Top 10 in any state. I just hope the game is called fairly. Bad officiating has derailed Harrisburg in their own conference in the past.

#1 Thanks for the insight into the program and Mr Hodge. It sounds like the Bengals could use some of those judges who are soft on athletically gifted kids. I hope the other kids who are minor offenders are shown the same type of guidance.

#2 I can guarantee you that Harrisburg will not be taken lightly. Bob not only knows about the program and knows the coach pretty well, but he has said how much he respects the individual talent and ability of some of the cougar players, especially the defensive speed.

#3 We also hope the game is called fairly. I certainly don't see that as something you need to be concerned about. If anything, most of the officiating crews around here seem to be biased against Moeller. We had 7 penalties for over 115 yards called against us in our first loss, at least two which kept point scoring drives alive, and at least one that still remains a mystery. We have been flagged heavily all year, and usually at very crucial times, like when an offense has virtually no shot of making a first down on a 3rd or 4th and forever, then miraculously the flag comes out to keep the drive going. We lost our second game (to #2 Byrnes), due mostly to us, but just as much to a ref giving them the game winning extra point that was at least three feet wide. So, don't worry about that.

Good luck to y'all after Saturday.

wildbill044 said:
#1 Thanks for the insight into the program and Mr Hodge. It sounds like the Bengals could use some of those judges who are soft on athletically gifted kids. I hope the other kids who are minor offenders are shown the same type of guidance.

I thought the same thing regarding these kids getting an opportunity to play sports. However, I remembered how sports taught me discipline and teamwork. Some of these kids never had that, and perhaps the judges realize it could make a difference in a kid on the edge.

My friend who is the Glenn Mills counseler confirmed what I was thinking. They get their kids involved in sports to give them something on which to focus and keep them in line. He said they all got involved in something.

You're always going to have kids who just can't stay out of trouble. I'm pretty conservative, but perhaps if wayward kids had a purpose they would not stray.

Unfortunately, I don't think they can do anything for the Bengals. You would hope they would have figured it out by now. Henry really disappoints me because he has so much talent. I believe Marvin Lewis deserves better.