Footloose turns 40

bob22

And Payson High School is trying to get Kevin Bacon to come back for one last dance.

Curious to see if he does it. I know it took quite a while for Jimmy Fallon to convince him to re-create the dance on his show.

If I recall, Bacon has kind of grown tired people bringing up that role.

My wife obviously loves the movie but I was ready to punch a whole through the wall the first time and only time she wanted me to watch it with her. Just tell the preacher to pound salt.

Footloose sucks
Sure did, I hated the music too.

Also red necks with a deer rack on the roof usually don't have Pink Floyd and Grateful Dead stickers on their windows, that is Hollywood being lazy and not doing their homework.

1708633083492.png

Under no circumstances can a town outlaw dancing. That’s a violation of the 1st Amendment.

Didn't like the movie. Kept rolling my eyes at the storyline and stereotypes. I did identify strongly with Chris Penn's character - couldn't dance a lick and too embarrassed to try back then. Watching the movie didn't encourage me, lol.

And I hated that stupid theme song. The rest of the soundtrack was okay, though. And hey - Quiet Riot! At least there was the redeeming chicken race scene with tractors. That was cool.

Coincidentally, I was catching up with HS classmate recently. I remember hearing he was quite the disco dancer during the Saturday Night Fever craze. I thought it just came naturally to him. Turned out he was actually very shy around girls, and had to literally be dragged to a dance studio for lessons. He kept at it, started to enjoy it, and became one of the most requested partners when women wanted to dance at the clubs. Said being able to dance did more to help him meet women than anything else.

I'm always learning these things way too late in life. 😁

Last edited:
Didn't like the movie. Kept rolling my eyes at the storyline and stereotypes. I did identify strongly with Chris Penn's character - couldn't dance a lick and too embarrassed to try back then. Watching the movie didn't encourage me, lol.

And I hated that stupid theme song. The rest of the soundtrack was okay, though. And hey - Quiet Riot! At least there was the redeeming chicken race scene with tractors. That was cool.

Coincidentally, I was catching up with HS classmate recently. I remember hearing he was quite the disco dancer during the Saturday Night Fever craze. I thought it just came naturally to him. Turned out he was actually very shy around girls, and had to literally be dragged to a dance studio for lessons. He kept at it, started to enjoy it, and became one of the most requested partners when women wanted to dance at the clubs. Said being able to dance did more to help him meet women than anything else

I'm always learning these things way too late in life.
I never was a good dancer and therefore hated dancing.

I even dreaded the obligatory bride-groom first dance at my wedding, even though it was a slow dance. We made the mistake of letting my wife's mom (my mother-in-law) pick the music. She picked "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone as our "special" song. I hated that song, but all I could do was go with it.

I never was a good dancer and therefore hated dancing.
This. ^^^ But I hated more that I wasn't willing to try.

A year ago I finally signed up for an R&B line dance class for seniors 50+. And I'm the only guy in class. Talk about being self-conscious. Those old ladies were giggling as I struggled and stomped around like Godzilla those first few months. I even kept a small notebook and walk away every so often and take notes on the sequence of steps for a particularssong. I'm not a visual learner, can't just watch someone and pick it up myself like my wife does.

Now I'm destroying Tokyo in time with the music. And this past NYE I led my wife onto the floor for 3 dances in public without stressing over it, that was major. Lotsa regrets not doing it sooner.

She picked "You Light Up My Life" by Debby Boone as our "special" song. I hated that song, but all I could do was go with it.
I had to laugh. But that is true love. ;)

Last edited:
This. ^^^ But I hated more that I wasn't willing to try.

A year ago I finally signed up for an R&B line dance class for seniors 50+. And I'm the only guy in class. Talk about being self-conscious. Those old ladies were giggling as I struggled and stomped around like Godzilla those first few months. I even kept a small notebook and walk away every so often and take notes on the sequence of steps for a particularssong. I'm not a visual learner, can't just watch someone and pick it up myself like my wife does.

Now I'm destroying Tokyo in time with the music. And this past NYE I led my wife onto the floor for 3 dances in public without stressing over it, that was major. Lotsa regrets not doing it sooner.

I had to laugh. But that is true love. ;)
There's always the "Chicken Dance" or the "Bunny Hop" at wedding receptions for people like me. At least I can excel at those...I think.