Football Playoff Format Changes Being Considered By OHSAA

Outside of the two 10-0 teams that didn't make it this year... were there any other conference or league champions that DIDN'T make it?

I feel like that is the bigger issue rather than just being 10-0 and not making it. If you are 10-0 you likely won your league and should be in, but that obviously is not the case currently... Changing OOC schedule is controllable. Changing you league opponents... not so much...

Were there any 9-1, 8-2, or 7-3 that won conference but didn't make it?
the Greenon Knights went 8-2 and won the OHC South and finished as the 9th seed.

North Union went 7-3 and won the CBC Mad River and finished as the 10th seed.

that’s all i can think of in this area. both GWOC, both SWBL, and both MVL champions got in, as well as the CCC champ. the Dayton City League didn’t get anyone in this year.

the Greenon Knights went 8-2 and won the OHC South and finished as the 9th seed.

North Union went 7-3 and won the CBC Mad River and finished as the 10th seed.

that’s all i can think of in this area. both GWOC, both SWBL, and both MVL champions got in, as well as the CCC champ. the Dayton City League didn’t get anyone in this year.

Would any of those teams have gotten in with a Top 32 set-up? Instead of Regions?

Looks like North Union would have...

Greenon was #37...

Would any of those teams have gotten in with a Top 32 set-up? Instead of Regions?

Looks like North Union would have...

Greenon was #37...
correct. that’s what i got as well. north union wouldve been in the 20s. Greenon would’ve been comfortably in if they would have taken a bye week rather than played Bradford week 2.

The bottom line with the playoffs this year is that if the OHSAA does a better job with dividing regions, no one is arguing about teams that deserved the playoffs missing out. I have a hard time believing that adding playoffs teams is the answer, especially in the small divisions. That would lead to some baaaad playoff games and not actually help anyone. The OHSAA instead should develop a better system of breaking out the regions, either basing the preseason regions off of harbin points from the previous year in some way, or just finding the top 32 teams in the state and then dividing 4 regions based off of geography of the teams that make it.

It will come to fruition. It allows more average schools to play a tougher schedule and still have a shot to get in. This is huge for solid programs looking for non-conference games. Not talking elites. Just solid program in 6-7 team conferences.

I wonder how number 1 seed Collins Western Reserve (9-1) feels about
number 8 seed Carey (5-5) in Division 6 Region 22 tonight?.

They feel bad about the loss, but Carey is a good team that played a stronger schedule than Western. Carey has a good offense and Western's defense has had trouble stopping teams all season. Sure they finished 1 and 8 per Harbin points, but this was a game between 2 similar teams and not an upset.

The bottom line with the playoffs this year is that if the OHSAA does a better job with dividing regions, no one is arguing about teams that deserved the playoffs missing out. I have a hard time believing that adding playoffs teams is the answer, especially in the small divisions. That would lead to some baaaad playoff games and not actually help anyone. The OHSAA instead should develop a better system of breaking out the regions, either basing the preseason regions off of harbin points from the previous year in some way, or just finding the top 32 teams in the state and then dividing 4 regions based off of geography of the teams that make it.

Getting rid of regions is the best idea.

They feel bad about the loss, but Carey is a good team that played a stronger schedule than Western. Carey has a good offense and Western's defense has had trouble stopping teams all season. Sure they finished 1 and 8 per Harbin points, but this was a game between 2 similar teams and not an upset.
My comment was primarily meant for the backer of 10-0 Gibsonburg.

the system is fine- If they want 32 more teams in rhe playoffs they can add and 8th division and make d2 and d3 with smallest ranges. It they want to get the “right” teams I just have 2 regions in every division and team top 16