Flyin' to the Hoop Schedule

Is this an invite only event?

Wondering if teams like Elder/LaSalle never play in this because they aren't invited (maybe because of style of play) or if they are turning down invitations for other reasons.

Wondering if teams like Elder/LaSalle never play in this because they aren't invited (maybe because of style of play) or if they are turning down invitations for other reasons.
I think it's by invite. I don't think teams request to play.

Is there a way to see who are some of the top talents coming to these games? Team rosters with where players are committed, who is recruiting them, etc. without having to look up each team individually in max preps or something?

3 things are most considered with the selection of teams.
1. National program that is ranked.
2. Ohio or surrounding state team with at least one but preferably more division 1 talent.
3. Local teams that will bring in a lot of people.

That’s traditionally been how they’ve picked most teams for the event. Style of play isn’t really much of a factor if you have those things.

Is there a way to see who are some of the top talents coming to these games? Team rosters with where players are committed, who is recruiting them, etc. without having to look up each team individually in max preps or something?
go to the FTTH website.

go to the FTTH website.
I looked through the website, nice looking website by the way, and saw past players, etc. There is a list in the top gun showcase, but that doesn't represent all of the teams in Flying to the Hoop. Maybe I am missing something...

I looked through the website, nice looking website by the way, and saw past players, etc. There is a list in the top gun showcase, but that doesn't represent all of the teams in Flying to the Hoop. Maybe I am missing something...

Scroll down to the bottom of the first page. One box has teams the other box has players.

I believe schools like the GCL South don't accept the invites. IDK, just my opinion. You make the tournament anyway.

I believe schools like the GCL South don't accept the invites. IDK, just my opinion. You make the tournament anyway.
I would hope they wouldn't just turn them down. At the end of the day, it's more of an exhibition game against a good team so there's really no harm in playing it. It's always good to see where you stack up.

I understand the tournament committee probably wants national teams for the draw of that type of talent and bringing in fans to the event.

I would hope they wouldn't just turn them down. At the end of the day, it's more of an exhibition game against a good team so there's really no harm in playing it. It's always good to see where you stack up.

I understand the tournament committee probably wants national teams for the draw of that type of talent and bringing in fans to the event.
On paper it is, most national teams that come to FTTH just have hi-profile players but their teams aren't that well coached just a collection of talent and IMO, GCL South teams are structured, coached well, methodical and playing those teams really does nothing for them. Come tournament time in most years you're gonna have to go through them anyway (GCLS).

Thank you!!!! This is my feeling stupid face....:cautious:
Happens to everyone. Had a guy once tell me some information was not on a spreadsheet I sent him. After a few back and forth emails and him using the do you know who I am thing, I finally asked if he scrolled the sheet to the right. No reply or anything.

Seems like there are a lot of "wannabe" academies that have popped up around the country and are in this event. The absence of Oak Hill, Montverde, IMG, Link and Prolific Prep (which now has the No. 1 recruits for both 2025 and 2026) is "interesting", to say the least. Have the traditional basketball factories moved on past this event?

Last edited:
Seems like there are a lot of "wannabe" academies that have popped up around the country and are in this event. The absence of Oak Hill, Montverde, IMG, Link and Prolific Prep (which now has the No. 1 recruits for both 2025 and 2026) is "interesting", to say the least. Have the traditional basketball factories moved on past this event?
I THINK THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER EVENTS GOING ON AROUND THAT TIME THAT THE NIKE AFFILIATED PREP SCHOOLS HAVE OBLIGATIONS TO.

Those programs are in a league together and have obligations to fulfill in their schedule

Those programs are in a league together and have obligations to fulfill in their schedule
Probably scheduling and maybe the cost incurred by FTTH. I know there is another big event out east that same weekend. I went one day last year and attendance looked down.

Yeah flying to the hoop hasn't had the same feel to it the last few years
Not carrying the big names like it used to. Covid slowed it down. Then the two years in a row where it was a crazy snow storm each year hurt. Mix that in with everyone having some sort of winter event to make money and that’s what can cause that dip in interest.

There's also not a local team with the "IT" factor. Centerville brought that the last few years and people were really intrigued on how they could compete with the national teams AND they played a pretty entertaining and high IQ style of ball.

I've always wondered how many of these schools are actual high schools vs. "athletic academies" (can't think of a better word.)
Athletic academies for some of them. A better word is prep schools. Then there are a ton of different types.

That Wayne Trace vs Miami East game looks on the surface to be more of "just another game".

How many teams decline an invite? I do know some do decline. Many coaches are very concerned about how a " we have arrived" mentality may stagnate team growth and promote the wrong attitude at a time in the season when they are heading into the stretch of a league battle and prep for a tournament run.

I have attended FTTH, but if I were a coach, no way I would want my kids to play in it.

That Wayne Trace vs Miami East game looks on the surface to be more of "just another game".

How many teams decline an invite? I do know some do decline. Many coaches are very concerned about how a " we have arrived" mentality may stagnate team growth and promote the wrong attitude at a time in the season when they are heading into the stretch of a league battle and prep for a tournament run.

I have attended FTTH, but if I were a coach, no way I would want my kids to play in it.
That would be awful if kids got an opportunity to go to an awesome event like this and then a coach shot it down because he is afraid of a team getting a “we have arrived” attitude. That would be unfortunate. A coach would hopefully know how to lead his group in a way where they wouldn’t develop that kind of ego. That’s one of the main components of being a good coach.

I THINK THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER EVENTS GOING ON AROUND THAT TIME THAT THE NIKE AFFILIATED PREP SCHOOLS HAVE OBLIGATIONS TO.
You're right. Some of these teams have bigger fish to fry on MLK weekend.
htthttps://www.maxpreps.com/in/la-porte/la-lumiere-lakers/basketball/schedule/ps://mvasports.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Worst schedule ever. This tourney will be boring as could be.
Yeah this schedule does nothing for me unless someone tells me these "academies" are on the same level as Montverde, IMG, etc, which Im guessing they arent. Personally Im also way more interested in games with two Ohio schools from the opposite ends of the state like Lutheran West vs Wayne. Wish there were more of those type of games on the schedule